Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Must-Have Albums

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeh but how often can you have heard the tracks in such a short space of time to realise that it's an essential album? It could be that it's good initially but doesn't have the staying power to be a proper classic. You can't know that for certain so quickly.
    You can't know that for certain so quickly. 3/4 Times of hearing a song is enough for me to decide if it's a good song or not.
    Well if you're such a relativist on what constitutes an essential album, why did you shoot down millsy_magic for what she/he thought were essential?
    I have heard every song from every of the mentioned albums many more than 4 times, and have come to the conclusion that none of them are worthy of the title essential. If you plan next to argue that it was her interpretation of essential, I remind you that this is not a one-way thing. The fact that the albums all belong to a slash pop genre, and the fact that for every good song on the albums there are 2 bad ones is enough for me to put forward that they would be better suited for a 10-year-old's Birthday party.

Hope that helps
    Thanks for explaining yourself Capacity, I'd rather have an explanation to why somebody replied with a remark like that than nothing at all. But, this is how I see it.
    Surely it depends on your taste in music to what albums you see as essential?! People who are huge Metallica fans will obviously name one of their albums as a must have CD whereas big Westlife fans will probably have one of their albums on the list. It depends who you are and what your into at the end of the day, or maybe that's just me being stupid.
    You may think that the CD's I listed are only suitable for a "10 yr olds birthday party" but there may be other people, myself included, who think that they are decent albums.
    All in all, It's just a matter of opinion . :)
    Millsy_Magic
    But by your admission, interpretation of an essential album is a two way thing. So while your judgement that her albums are more suitable at a 10 year old's party is valid, you still shouldn't dismiss her judgement so harshly.
    But by your admission, interpretation of an essential album is a two way thing. So while your judgement that her albums are more suitable at a 10 year old's party is valid, you still shouldn't dismiss her judgement so harshly.

Ah, so it was the harshness that upset you. Perhaps your error was questioning my ability to come up with, what I see, two essential albums. You would have been better off just arguing that the albums weren't any good. Even though I'm guessing you haven't heard them, you still would have had a point. It doesn't matter of our interpretation of essential, because it's RiSe & ShIne's that matters (for once ;p). If R&S does see Maroon 5 - Songs about Jane as an essential album, I retract my statements and apologise.
    Capacity wrote:
    Ah, so it was the harshness that upset you. Perhaps your error was questioning my ability to come up with, what I see, two essential albums. You would have been better off just arguing that the albums weren't any good. Even though I'm guessing you haven't heard them, you still would have had a point. It doesn't matter of our interpretation of essential, because it's RiSe & ShIne's that matters (for once ;p). If R&S does see Maroon 5 - Songs about Jane as an essential album, I retract my statements and apologise.

I'm by no means upset, I simply feel you shouldn't jump down people's throats like that. With regards to your albility to choose essential albums, I accept that some people make dicisions faster than others, but I don't see how arguing your choices were shit would be constructive or relevant?
    The bands 05.
    I'm by no means upset, I simply feel you shouldn't jump down people's throats like that. With regards to your albility to choose essential albums, I accept that some people make dicisions faster than others, but I don't see how arguing your choices were shit would be constructive or relevant?

Read then understand.

I didn't say it would be constructive or relevant. I said it would give you a point for you to argue my musical taste when compared to arguing my ability to choose an essential album.

If it doesn't upset you, it pisses you off. If it doesn't piss you off; whatever it does is enough to make you feel it's your place to 'set me straight', so to speak. Now I've explained myself several times more than required, I believe you can drop it.
    Embrace's new one
    Snow Patrol-final straw
    The Killers-hot fuss
    Maroon 5- Songs about Jane

Millsy_Magic

These albums would be on my list too!

Along with:
    Muse - Absolution
    The Strokes - Room on Fire
    Bryan Adams - MTV Unplugged
    Green Day - Dookie
    Green Day - American Idiot
    My CD's are all at Uni, but these are the ones I can remember:

REM - The best of
    Ocean Colour Scene - Songs for the front row
    Stereophonics - (can't remember which one I like best)
    Mars Volta - Deloused In The Crematorium
    At The Drive-In - Relationship And Command
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
    Dream Theatre - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
    Dream Theatre - Images & Words
    Tool - AEnima
    Tool - Lateralus
    Primus - The Brown Album
    Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    Silverchair - Frogstomp
    NOFX - Punk In Drublic