Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Holiday pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you've worked 6 months full time in a place of work and you leave by handing in your notice, are you entilted to be paid your holidays with your last pay check?

I asked my old manager who said "if you're entilted anything it'll be in your last paycheck and we don't have the payslips yet." and just walked off...

However, I've worked fulltime for six months and not had one holiday, so I'm sure I'm entitled to something.

Comments

• Options
    Found this on ACAS
    payment for untaken statutory leave entitlement on termination of employment

This means I'm entitled to it, right?

Source
  • Options
    This is really a contractual thing, as it should be spelled out what you get. But normally, yes, you will get any untaken holidays as extra money. Essentially though your manager was right, it would just appear in the final salary.
  • Options
    I had a BT technician job through a temping agency back in 2002. I was made redundant on day 4, LOL. Anyway, I had a cheque for the 4 days, plus an extra 10% which accounted for untaken holiday pay.
  • Options
    patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    I found the following information on Work Smart TUC

I hope this helps.

========================================

I'm leaving a job but haven't taken all my holiday allowance. Can I be paid for the days I lose?

========================================

When you leave your job, you may be entitled to a payment for any unused holiday allowance.

Calculate your leave entitlement, based on how much of your current leave year has passed (your company may set a standard leave year, which you can find out in your staff handbook, or you may have an individual leave year, which will run from the date you originally started work with your company). You are entitled to one twelfth of your annual holiday entitlement for every month you have worked of the current leave year.

If you have spare entitlement when you leave, your employer should pay you your equivalent daily pay rate for these days.

Be aware though, that if you have taken more than your entitlement already this year, you may need to pay back your employer for the paid holiday you have taken but not yet earned.
  • Options
    I have worked full time for six months and not took a single day off, so technically I should be entitled to two weeks.

Bastards don't even have the time to talk to me. I'm going straight to their head office.
  • Options
    Good luck.

Maybe you should join a union if there not treating you so well?
  • Options
    In my experience, you aren't owed holiday pay till you've worked there for a year... unless it's a big company i.e. a supermarket, in which case, you'll be owed it from the start.