Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

smear tests...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i had a smear test just over 3 yrs ago.i know women should get one done every 3 years, but it says that they dont really do smear tests for women under 25, i am 21.does that mean i can wait til im 25, or do i have to get one done as i have had one before??really really scared of them!!silly i know!! :yuck:

Comments

• Options
    wait till you're 25...there's nothing wrong with that :)
  • Options
    blah
  • Options
    wait till youre invited for one, unless of course your last smear was abnormal.
    If they dont invite you for one for a few years, then consider yourself lucky. Theyre a chore.
  • Options
    each gp area is different, you should ask your doctor, if you do need one then have it, two mins of unpleasentness is loads better than finding out something horrible.
  • Options
    blah
  • Options
    I agree. It could be the difference between life and death.
    well I dont see how they would think someone whos had a test before is more at risk than someone who hasnt had a test just because theyve changed the age that the first test is required.
    If there are two areas, one requires smears at age 16 and the other area doesnt require them till 25, it doesnt mean that the ones in area 1 are more at risk until theyre 25.
    If they say 25, then its because they found the incidences of abnormal smears in that age group were sufficiently low for tests to not be worth it. If you want one before then, they would probably only do it if they thought you were in a high risk group.
  • Options
    blah
  • Options
    If they say 25, then its because they found the incidences of abnormal smears in that age group were sufficiently low for tests to not be worth it. If you want one before then, they would probably only do it if they thought you were in a high risk group.

:yes:

This is exactly why the age has changed - they simply found that it was so rare for a woman under this age to come back with problem results.

Here's our factsheet on smear tests - it gives you more info on this.

:)
  • Options
    rare but not unheard of - i was 20.
  • Options
    rare but not unheard of - i was 20.
    you had cervical cancer at 20?
    Im sorry to hear that. Hope youre ok now.
  • Options
    oo no i wasnt that unlucky! i did have abnormalities though which i was told shouldnt be left.