Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

suspension

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
not sure if this belongs here,but it's worth a shot.

baisically,I'm in my second last year at school and the assistant head master's decided that all girls with hair below a certain length have to tie it up,unless they're in sixth year. so we had a big year meeting and I asked the new head master (in front of my entire year,the assistant head master,everyone) how long hair could be before it didnt have to be tied back and he said shoulder length. should probably mention that at this point i had pretty long hair,down to about my bra straps at the back. anyways, I ended up getting it cut through the xmas break cos I was in town and the mood took me. but now my hair's just grazing my shoulders and the AHM is demanding that I tie it back! obviously i'm refusing to do it because I asked his boss how long it could be back in december and I've been to my tutor and everything but I'm still close to being suspended. It's not that i mind tying it back (actually,I do. hate my ears,real problem,getting them pinned back cos my doctor realised how much they upset me.anyway.) but it's the fact that the AHM's boss said hair would be fine at my length and now i'm being told it's not! :eek2: *sigh*

i'm sorry,this is a mega rant,what it comes down to is,what are my rights? what can i do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    fuck em, if there getting off on the power let them, get a note from your doctor about your ears or really kick up a fuss

i hate it when schools impose pointless rules just for the sake of it, obviously it would be different if it was just 'tie it back in p.e' or if there was lice going round-but theyve got no good reason to make you and tbh they cant either
  • Options
    if someone's told you that you can then you should be able to. it's a daft rule anyway i think!

at my school you weren't allowed to wear any earrings at all, not even studs. i got my ears pierced the first day of the summer holidays, so in theory they should have been ok for going back to school but they weren't and they went a bit funny. i had to get a note from my mum and everything just to allow them to let me wear plasters over the damn things!
  • Options
    when I was at high school I got suspended just for having my shirt not tucked in to my skirt ... it was a really strict catholic school though ... I think a lot of teachers get off on the power and control they can have over their students. at the end of the day there is nothing you can do except follow their rules ... becasue otherwise what happens: you get suspended...go back...and have to follow the rule from the minute you walk back through the door anyway.
  • Options
    thanks char_baby,thats a great idea about the note from my doctor! all excited now! :hyper:

lol lucifer,same thing happened a few years ago with my earrings. in fairness though,i was wearing an extra stud cos i got 3 peircings done through the summer holidays and they hadn't healed properly. tis shocking really. :crazyeyes

otter,maybe it's a catholic school thing? i'm at a jesuit school and the amount of pointless rules they enforce is getting beyond a joke.

in fairness though,when they brought in the 'no make up' rule they offered to bring in a qualified make up artist to show the upper school how to apply subtle make up :)
  • Options
    jesuit school
    whats one of them then :confused:
  • Options
    I think that hair thing is ridiculious! I don't think it's fair to suspend someone from school due to hair, earings etc. This doesn't affect their school work.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The way I see it rules are rules and you knew them. Catholic schools are notorious for OTT rules so attending one should've made you aware of this.

Sorry, but if you break the rules then you suffer.

Harsh as it may sound that is my opinion.
  • Options
    My advice: don't break any rules, just flex them slightly ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    But the rule she was made aware of isn't being broken, as she was told that her hair isn't long enough to have to tie up.

Ok, I misread it.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    whats one of them then :confused:

jesuits were catholic missionaries sent to england from europe to get reformed protestants to return to the "true" religion, they were and still are seen by many modern catholics as defenders of the faith (heard that one before)

yes i also go to a catholic school, they have so many pointless rules but at the end of the day they're there for some reason or another and you must abide by them, so like it or lump it thats what i say.
  • Options
    But the rule she was made aware of isn't being broken, as she was told that her hair isn't long enough to have to tie up..

The way I read it, the big boss said shoulder length. The girl's hair now is touching shoulder length. The assisstant head obviously has his own idea about what is shoulder length. If it's long enough for the assisstant head to be moaning about it, then the rule must be being broken. Or, I guess, if he wants to, he can change the rule so it's whatever he says it is if he reckons that someone is being petulent about it.

Yes, if you can get some kind of medical note to say that there is a reason for not tieing the hair back, then do that, otherwise do what the teacher says, regardless of if it's the head or not.
  • Options
    Or get a half inch off...
  • Options
    school moulds you as a person in general, in the big wide world you have to live by certain rules, you can't beat around the bush all the time, just cut your hair, i bet they want to suspend you, don't even give them the satisfaction, or alternatively , you could come in with a rainbow coloured mowhawk with "fuck the system" shaved on the back of your head.
  • Options
    turlough,i'd check your definition of jesuits! as far as we're taught in school (and believe me,re classes are full of the joys of blessed st ignatious of loyola) Ignatious got his calling from god late in life but went on to found the jesuits,ie society of Jesus, which involved helping those less fortunate than ourselves. our school motto is 'i was born for greater things'. we must always make the best of what we're giving and generally are all expected to go into the professions.

anyways,thats totally off topic! they're baisically just catholics who are known for teaching!

i got an inch n a half off my hair at the weekend and it's STILL too long. it's getting beyond a joke,i'm hugely unimpressed. I wouldn't mind as much, but there are people with hair longer than mine walking about with it down and Dan (the AHM) says nothing to them. ever. *sigh* :banghead: i give up,i'll get a note from my doctor.

thanks guys :)

xxx
  • Options
    even if you cant get a doctors note, even one from your mum saying how self concious your ears make you should hold up

wankers when i was at school our head of year kept cleanser, nail varnish and hair bands in her office 'just in case' anyone was caught, sad pricks
  • Options
    It's just because it's your school tbh (I won't say the name ;)) But I went to a catholic primary and they were really strict too. My secondary isn't too bad really but i wish I went to a better one.
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    even if you cant get a doctors note, even one from your mum saying how self concious your ears make you should hold up

wankers when i was at school our head of year kept cleanser, nail varnish and hair bands in her office 'just in case' anyone was caught, sad pricks

lol,my mum's all for an easy life! her exact words were "kathleen,i love a good fight as much as you do,but you cannot lose your place in this school. conform to the rules."

my schools the same with the cleanser and stuff though. all the house masters have a supply of bobbles and the nurse keeps cleanser and nail polish remover. she's a right bitch.

jazza, thanks for not saying the name, i don't want a slagging ;)

:banghead: i sound like a right moan in this thread! i don't mean to,sorry :)

xxx
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Or get a half inch off...
    Thats what Id suggest too. It would cover your ears still, and would keep the teachers happy. I dont think its worth getting into a battle about to be honest.
    If you think theyre singling you out for unfair attention and overzealous monitoring, and enforcing rules on you that they dont enforce for anybody else, then thats a form of bullying.
  • Options
    If you think theyre singling you out for unfair attention and overzealous monitoring, and enforcing rules on you that they dont enforce for anybody else, then thats a form of bullying.

that's what my problem is,the fact that they're singling me out. and it's not even 'they to be honest, it's just Dan. no-one else cares. I pointed out to him that I seem to be the only person he pulls up about hair and he got really shirty about it. But then Rachel walked past with hair down to her breasts and he didn't say a word.
  • Options
    Update! :)

My doctor wrote me a letter with the following:
    "I write to confirm that Kathleen is awaiting prominent ear correction surgery. She teels me that it is the school policy for her to tie her hair back. This certainly is causing her a considerable amount of psychological distress, and it would seem sensible that this was taken into consideration in this case."

I :heart: my doctor. :)
  • Options
    classic example of inflexible teachers encouraging disobedience.

this is an example of school NOT reflecting the workings of the wider world.
  • Options
    classic example of inflexible teachers encouraging disobedience.

Fair enough, I'm being disobedient. But I feel I'm justified because rules are rules and should be applicable to all. The school is not enforcing the rules on everyone, therefore I feel I'm justified in kicking up a fuss.
  • Options
    oh no i didnt mean that in the sense of what you are doing is a bad thing, quite the opposite.

shows a great lack of maturity on the part of the deputy head, and i'd wager none to much on the side of professionalism either :no:
  • Options
    ooops,sorry! It's really put my back up though :mad: taking him the note tomorrow when I go in for my exam, fingers crossed he'll accept it! :nervous:
  • Options
    Schools are run by morons, staffed by morons, controlled by morons, and most teachers deserve to be strung up.

Teachers are failures, if you can't you teach, and they always have to hide it by being nazis. Teachers, espcially in religious schools, hold even less respect from me than estate agents.

Sorry for the rant, but I'd fight it all the way. Mind, I was always very good at "obeying" the rules at school whilst breaking just about all of them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Schools are run by morons, staffed by morons, controlled by morons, and most teachers deserve to be strung up.

Teachers are failures, if you can't you teach, and they always have to hide it by being nazis. Teachers, espcially in religious schools, hold even less respect from me than estate agents.

Sorry for the rant, but I'd fight it all the way. Mind, I was always very good at "obeying" the rules at school whilst breaking just about all of them.

I agree partially...the entire female population of my family, both sides, are teachers and that's always what I've wanted to be. Strathclyde sent me a letter of rejection this morning though :( You're right about the Nazi part though, it's all about control.