Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shaving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

My boyfriend isn't in a set routine with shaving, he doesn't like shaving every day because he says its hurts and he gets a rash cos his skin is sensitive. I've seen the rash so I know he's not just being lazy. He only really shaves when I nag him too and the problem is I too have sensitive skin which gets sore and spotty if he's stubbly. Would it help him to get into a daily routine or is there any cream or something he could use. At the moment he dry shaves with an electric shaver.

Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    There's shaving cream (as opposed to the more usual foam) which can help. It was on queer eye for the straight guy, so keizo should know what I'm talking about. Anyway, supposed to be good for bristly/coarse hair, it also moisturises more.
  • Options
    Yeah he can try sesnitive shaving gels if he wants to wet shave, or use an aftershave balm or lotion.

I find that I have a worse shaving rash if I don't shave every day cos the stubble rubs against my shirt collar so if gets red and irritated. But I don't shave at all at the weekend so my skin has chance to relax.
  • Options
    I don't know many blokes that shave every day, every 2 I would say, what about the rest? I cannot shave every day as I have the same prob as your fella.

When he shaves try the following:

Wash before to make the skin a little more soft.

Apply some shaving oil, King of Shaves do a good one

Apply King of Shaves Alphagel Shaving Gel (you can get a sensitive one I think)

A GOOD razor like the new Mach 3 Turbo, I found it to be pretty good on sensitive skin.

After and not right after, maybe 15/30 minutes, apply some post shaving balm. The Adidas Skincare face moisturiser is a really good one, it's in a little gray tube, it's really good for sensitive skin.

Or try the above in a bath or the shower.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're Superdrug's best customer.

I agree with the above. I always shave after a shower so the skin is softer and warm - less irritation. I find when I shave on dry skin then the skin gets annoyed. I use Mach3T too.
  • Options
    If I get a rash or anything like that, I tend to switch over to an electric razor for a few days before switching back. I don't know if this is good or bad for the skin, however.
  • Options
    I also endorse Mach 3 razors, it means you don't have to hack away with a pencil sharpener... sorry, I mean disposible razor.
  • Options
    Grrr, shaving, it's such a pain in the ass.

Anyway. Yes, I agree with most things here.

If your bloke is leaving it quite a while, then, for me, that would mean that when he does get around to shaving, it will leave more of a rash, as it will take more effort to remove what is there, especially with an electric jobby.

Perosnally, I think if he wants to stick with his electric he should get one of the - expensive - wet electrics that you can use in the shower, like the Philishave Coolskin Shaver, that also contain a thing for moisturising agent.

Otherwise he should get himself a decent quality stick and follow the advice the other chaps have given. shower - apply gel or foam or cream - shave - apply aftershave balm.
  • Options
    Hi

My boyfriend isn't in a set routine with shaving, he doesn't like shaving every day because he says its hurts and he gets a rash cos his skin is sensitive. I've seen the rash so I know he's not just being lazy. He only really shaves when I nag him too and the problem is I too have sensitive skin which gets sore and spotty if he's stubbly. Would it help him to get into a daily routine or is there any cream or something he could use. At the moment he dry shaves with an electric shaver.

Phoenix

He should shave either after a shower or in the shower
    Electric razors cut too close - when the skin is stetched they cut the hair below skin level and then it grows back it pushes on the edge of the pores - boots do a senstive razor and shave with the grain not against it
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow! We have advice for everything!
  • Options
    nivea for men moisturising lotion is good for after you shave. using it completely stops dryness/irritation for me :thumb:

and yes, mach 3 turbo blades are good :yes:
  • Options

It also softens the hairs, making them easier to cut.

I would also add that you should warm the razor blades, in hot water, because this helps toughen them...
  • Options
    Do you lot actually have the time to wet shave every day? I cant be bothered with that at all, far too much hassle.

I dry shave and its fine, you need to make sure to put moisture cream on every day though, especially in this weather.

Boots Botanics Blokes range is rather good.
  • Options
    Only shave every other day, if I can get away with it.

But how times have changed. When I was your age we wouldn't have had such a discussion about facial creams and moisturising...
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    You can get paid to write practically anything, can't you?
  • Options
    Only shave every other day, if I can get away with it.

But how times have changed. When I was your age we wouldn't have had such a discussion about facial creams and moisturising...

I cant shave every other day, I'll get a dodge tash.

You're right, you'd get called a poof if you even suggested half of the things blokes do every day now. Its that Beckham I think, making grooming cool.
  • Options
    Indeed, hardly considered macho at the time. I wonder how many blokes of my genration even use them now?

Bet some of you even use hand creams...
  • Options
    Indeed, hardly considered macho at the time. I wonder how many blokes of my genration even use them now?

Bet some of you even use hand creams...

I do, though not that often.

The face cream I use every night sort of doubles as a hand cream, so I just put most on my face and then rub the rest into my hands.

I use lip balm quite often too.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I use lip balm quite often too.

Oh dear.

Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't even dream of doing that! Would feel a bit of a "jessie".

I'm not even convinced that filling my skin with chemicals is a good thing anyway...
  • Options
    Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't even dream of doing that! Would feel a bit of a "jessie".

A bit of a jessie, what a fantastic turn of phrase.

Yes, I do indeed use lip balm, otherwise they get all chapped and nasty.
  • Options
    king of shaves shave oil, try it, its fantastic, been the answer to any of my shaving problems. i love the stuff, not cheap but worth it! am gonna try one of those new mach3 virbrating things, my mate swears by it, best £10 he's ever spent
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    nivea for men moisturising lotion is good for after you shave. using it completely stops dryness/irritation for me :thumb:

My boyfriend swears by that stuff! :yes:
  • Options
    i had the same kind of problem with my guy. he sould get products with oatmeal in them. aveeno's a good brand! ;)
  • Options
    you're such a wee girl :D
  • Options
    who is?
  • Options
    you're such a wee girl :D

Are you talking about me? I am so not a wee girl!
  • Options
    oopsie, yes i was but i forgot the "quote message" function.

tsk, you so are.