Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Caffeine addiction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hmm, what kind of stuff comes with the addiction? i've drunk like 30 cups of coffee literally over the past 2 days or so, and i know you can overdose on the stuff etc. Hmm...

Edit: AHA

Hmmm... To give this thread a point now, do you consider yourself addicted? Do you have a routine? How much coffee/tea do you have in a day? etc.

Comments

• Options
    I think that you have to drink an enourmous amount of coffee to get addicted, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    not addicted to caffeine really, as such...
    can't drink coffee...
    but am totally addicted to diet cola drinks :D
    living on the stuff
  • Options
    If pregnant, you should't drink more that 5 cups per day.

Basically, it's a stimulant drug that will/could alter eating/mood/sleeping patterns as well as inducing migraines.
  • Options
    30 cups in 2 days is excessive. I feel sick and agitated if I drink too much coffee and sometimes I find if I drink too much, it actually makes me feel more lethargic and I have to lie down.
    Problem is, I love drinking it, so often Ill alternate cups with decaff, If I really fancy a coffee but am already feelin wide awake.
  • Options
    it actually makes me feel more lethargic and I have to lie down.

caffeine only makes you hyper for a short time, it's a quick boost of energy then it disapears, thats why the more you drink the more lazy you'll get once it wears off, i'm more of a tea man myself but i dn't mind cappucinos either.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I think that you have to drink an enourmous amount of coffee to get addicted, but I could be wrong.

Not really, anyone who drinks a reasonable amount for a long period will be addicted to it. Its only because the drug is cheap and easily available that its not a problem.

The 'cold turkey' stage can be quite unpleasant, you wont be writhing around on the floor, but if you drink quite a bit then stop you will get nasty headaches, possibly vomiting, feel ill etc.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Yet again, The Vaults of Erowid have the answers...

Their information on Caffeine and your health may be of particular interest. You can actually overdose and die on caffeine, particulary if you take a concentrated form such as no-doze, so drinking coffee excessively will have adverse effects....
  • Options
    No-doze isnt actually that strong, its 200mg a tablet if I recall correctly, which is strong but not that strong.

And I'm fairly sure its not available for sale here, only in the US.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    And I'm fairly sure its not available for sale here, only in the US.

That's more than possible, is there a UK equivalent?

I was going on this paragraph from Erowid -
    Please Note: Caffeine in concentrated forms such as pills or powders can accidentally be taken in sufficient quantities to cause vomiting, unconsciousness, and death. A single box of Vivarin or No-Doze (US Products) can be fatal if taken at one time. Although possible with coffee or other strongly caffeinated drink, it generally requires much more awareness of the large dosage before dangerous levels are reached.
  • Options
    The only comparable product I can think of is Pro Plus which has 50mg per tablet.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    The only comparable product I can think of is Pro Plus which has 50mg per tablet.

...and I remember reading a news story - I think it was discussed on this site, but I'm not positive - about a student, I think it was in the US, who was researching what happened if you took too many Pro Plus over the space of 24 hours or whatever, and he eventually died after 90 pills or something I think? Probably inaccurate, but I do know he died from it. And he detailed how he was feeling as he went on.
  • Options
    yea there was an article in Seventeen Magazine about a young girl, 16 i think, who overdosed on Vivarin caffeine pills. so sad...
  • Options
    Sounds like a horrific way to go, but then I think OD'ing on stimulants sounds really nasty.
  • Options
    in my view addiction is about the personality.if you have that sort of personality you will get addicted to anything!!
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    in my view addiction is about the personality.if you have that sort of personality you will get addicted to anything!!
    i pressume that includes nicotine addicts ...
  • Options
    I don't know how addictive caffeine is itself, I think with coffee etc it's more of a habit and a mental thing to think 'wake up in the morning, have a cup of coffee. on lunchbreak, have a cup of coffee.' because you think you need it, but you'd probably actually do alright without it, especially if you ate a decent meal. But coffees a quicker alternative to gain energy.
    As for pro plus, i found them to be brilliant the other day. I was completely knackered but I had a 2000 word essay to write, took 3 of those over the space of about 6 hours and i really couldn't stop working, my brain just became so awake and focused.
  • Options
    Caffine is quite an ineffective stimulant by itself, unlike amphetamine it wont help the body draw upon its resources. It needs suger to work properly, so just caffine by itself will not really help your tiredness.