Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

boots

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking for a new pair of boots, preferrable calf -> knee highs, with much difficulty! It seems every pair I try on are way too loose around the leg. It seems they are made for the bigger of woman. Ok, sure, I don't want them to cut off my cirulation but I would like them to be somewhat snug! Any ideas on brands that make for the slimmer girls?

Comments

• Options
    I've the opposite problem and I don't even have fat legs, I have average legs and have found all the boots sold at the moment are either those awful slouchy boots (sorry girls!) or are far too small around my calf. So, where have you found the boots too loose, because I'll be heading there! :)
  • Options
    madraykin wrote:
    I'm looking for a new pair of boots, preferrable calf -> knee highs, with much difficulty! It seems every pair I try on are way too loose around the leg. It seems they are made for the bigger of woman. Ok, sure, I don't want them to cut off my cirulation but I would like them to be somewhat snug! Any ideas on brands that make for the slimmer girls?

Aww man, forget about it...they just dont make them for girls with thin legs!! Although, i have some boots from Miss Selfridge that you kinda tie on so they work okay, but if its leather ones you want I doubt you will find them. I notice you are from Aberdeen...same here! Shoe shops here suck though :(

Oh on a similar note...i was looking for a pair of jeans the other day and River Island (a shop I hate and now remember why) had some, but dont do a size 6 and an 8 just fell off me. Its the same in other shops and its not fair. If I was a larger girl and they didnt make stuff in my size there would be outrage, but just because im thin I have to put up with it or some shit. Grrrrr. End of mini rant. :banghead:
  • Options
    draven wrote:
    Its the same in other shops and its not fair. If I was a larger girl and they didnt make stuff in my size there would be outrage, but just because im thin I have to put up with it or some shit. Grrrrr. End of mini rant. :banghead:
    LOL, do you really think large girls have it easy when it comes to fashion? I think its the other way round, and shops in general cater farrrrrrrr more for slim girls with bigger girls having to put up with the odd range thats usually designed for thin girls and then sized up. The only shops Ive seen that do stuff for big girls is new look and evans.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    if you are teeny, then kiddy clothes are your friends :)

long boots are just a lost cause i think. i can get ones that fit around my calves (well, swim around them like hooge wellies) but because i have shortarse feet, and then high arches, the won't zip up because the distance from my heel to the top of my foot is too big :yeees:
  • Options
    LOL, do you really think large girls have it easy when it comes to fashion? I think its the other way round, and shops in general cater farrrrrrrr more for slim girls with bigger girls having to put up with the odd range thats usually designed for thin girls and then sized up. The only shops Ive seen that do stuff for big girls is new look and evans.

I see a hell of a lot more clothes for bigger girls than smaller ones. Of course, if you are a size 12, you have got it made :yeees: . They even have whole stores devoted to larger sizes, as you said. Where are the small sized shops??
  • Options
    draven wrote:
    Where are the small sized shops??

topshop? pilot? H&M? zara?

the average woman in britain is a size 16. until recently, topshop didn't go up to a 16. so 90% of the high street is a small sized shop.

how small are we talking? cause i'm a size 6 atm, and still i have no problem finding high street clothes. bottoms, at least. and then if you need smaller, there are kids sizes.
  • Options
    draven wrote:
    I see a hell of a lot more clothes for bigger girls than smaller ones. Of course, if you are a size 12, you have got it made :yeees: . They even have whole stores devoted to larger sizes, as you said. Where are the small sized shops??
    well im a size 8 and I find it loooooads easier finding clothes now, than I did when I was bigger, and ive been a large range of sizes, especially just post pregnancy, so I do feel qualified to say this.
  • Options
    draven wrote:
    Of course, if you are a size 12, you have got it made :yeees:

rubbish! im a size 12 and because its a really popular size its the size that is always not there. i rake through so many size 6 and 8's

and then because i have an inside leg that is longer than 32" its a nightmare finding a pair of trousers
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    topshop? pilot? H&M? zara?
    Many stores do bnow stock in a larger range of sizes, which is heartening, and I guess in favour of the smaller woman.
    kaffrin wrote:
    the average woman in britain is a size 16. until recently, topshop didn't go up to a 16. so 90% of the high street is a small sized shop.
    Where on earth did you find that fact? I find that very suprising and hard to believe! It's amazing how man's bodies have changed over the years, due to a number of factors I guess--technology and our overwhelming new found laziness perhaps?
    kaffrin wrote:
    how small are we talking? cause i'm a size 6 atm, and still i have no problem finding high street clothes. bottoms, at least.
    You do? You're very lucky to live in a city whoes shops offer such a range. I find it increasignly difficult to find size 6's anywhere in my city, and being a tad pear shaped I often need 4's in tops.
    kaffrin wrote:
    and then if you need smaller, there are kids sizes.
    That is true, but generally kid's clothes are well...childish. I don't want something with a "pretty flower" or "cute anilmal" on it. Nor do I want something with a ridiculous "babe" or "I like boys" type slogan in glittery print plastered over a baby pink tshirt. They're not designed to fit adults--the arms and legs are usually crop on many woman, hence "children's clothes".

Likewise, in the other direction, I see lot's of awfully bright coloured printed clothing, or bland lifeless designs I admittedly would never wear. I guess we'll only be happy if we have our clothing custom designed and of course we don't have the kind of money required for that.
  • Options
    madraykin wrote:
    You do? You're very lucky to live in a city whoes shops offer such a range. I find it increasignly difficult to find size 6's anywhere in my city, and being a tad pear shaped I often need 4's in tops.

topshop, zara, H&M, pilot, miss selfridge (ok, admittedly miss selfridge ones are huge), gap, new look (occasionally), mango, morgan and french connection all do size 6s.

almost all designer brands do.

ebay is full of tiny clothes.
    Where on earth did you find that fact? I find that very suprising and hard to believe!

it's fairly well known. i researched body size a lot for one of my a-level projects back in the day.
    That is true, but generally kid's clothes are well...childish

*directs you to h&m kids and zara kids*.

they'll fit people up to about 5'5''. and if you're taller than that and a small size 6, i'd seek medical attention.
  • Options
    madraykin wrote:
    ....Where on earth did you find that fact?...... being a tad pear shaped I often need 4's in tops...
    :shocking: You're a size FOUR??? That's soooo tiny. I can't imagine what that'd look like :eek:

Oh, and yes, it's general news now, that the average size is 16...

Ilora x
  • Options
    I've noticed at lot of the size 14/16s in Top Shop etc are not really cut for larger sizes just because there's more material doesn't necessarily mean it'll suit women that size.
  • Options
    Madraykin, try Principles for boots. I got a pair from there after searching everywhere for a pair that fitted round my leg (i'm thin on the leg as well and everything started to look very welly like). Finally found a pair that i really liked from Principles (had to pay the price though for finally getting them).
  • Options
    :shocking: You're a size FOUR??? That's soooo tiny. I can't imagine what that'd look like :eek:

I didn't actaully know there was such thing. I had a size 6 skirt that would fit me up untill i started going out with my blokey, which was all right around the waist it was just erm getting it over the backside which was the problem, same with most of my clothes :blush: but i probably couldn't get that thing on one leg now :p

Clothes fit me differently depending on the shop and the style which is a bugger because i hate trying things on first.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    I didn't actaully know there was such thing.

there isn't.

if you're smaller than a 6, and you don't know anyone with a sewing machine, it's tough.
  • Options
    scarily thin ppl! I'm a great size 9 on top+size 11 on the lower half with a size 12 bum+only 5'2". Its no wonder i wear everything baggy+on my hips.lets face it, no one has an easy time buying perfectly fitting clothes!
  • Options
    freak wrote:
    scarily thin ppl! I'm a great size 9 on top+size 11 on the lower half with a size 12 bum+only 5'2". Its no wonder i wear everything baggy+on my hips.lets face it, no one has an easy time buying perfectly fitting clothes!

:confused: Size 9 and 11? Are you meaning between sizes, or are these actual sizes I have yet to come across?
  • Options
    madraykin wrote:

Exactly....she lives in Leeds, which has decent shopping. Aberdeen doesnt (no Zara, Mango, Principles, or Pilot). And thats fine, whatever, nothing I can do about that, but I was just stating the fact that its really hard to get clothes that actually fit. Bottoms at least for me, tops are easier :)
    madraykin wrote:
    That is true, but generally kid's clothes are well...childish. I don't want something with a "pretty flower" or "cute anilmal" on it. Nor do I want something with a ridiculous "babe" or "I like boys" type slogan in glittery print plastered over a baby pink tshirt. They're not designed to fit adults--the arms and legs are usually crop on many woman, hence "children's clothes".

Yeah, I can fit a boys age 9 teeshirt, which is cool if I want a Spiderman or a Hulk tee cheaply, but they are cut to loosely fit a child, not tightly fit me hehe.

Anyways...you just gotta adapt I suppose...try a different type of boot, or a boot that is supposed to be a bit loose. Good luck :)
  • Options
    Why designers don't take into account that different sizes suit different styles I'll never know.
    I've always wondered this too! It could be the making of some people if they wore the right clothes.
  • Options
    Blah_x2 wrote:
    rubbish! im a size 12 and because its a really popular size its the size that is always not there. i rake through so many size 6 and 8's

and then because i have an inside leg that is longer than 32" its a nightmare finding a pair of trousers
    ditto ditto!
  • Options
    draven wrote:
    Exactly....she lives in Leeds, which has decent shopping.

i used to live in wakefield, which has appalling shopping. actually, appalling isn't even the word. still never had a problem. i've also been to aberdeen, and bought clothes there. i get most of my stuff from ebay anyway.

my cousin is a size 18, and she has SO much more of a problem finding clothes than i do. she doesn't actually own one pair of trousers, cause no pair she's ever tried has fit. ever. i might need a belt to hold some of my trousers up, but i can wear them.

my mum is a size 12-14, and she can't find clothes that fit.

it's not a size-specific problem, it's an industry-specific problem. that's why i learned to sew.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    ditto ditto!

crap isnt it :|

ive been searching for new jeans for months now and i still havent found any that are both in my size and long enough in the leg.
  • Options
    republic do 12s with different leg lengths
  • Options
    :confused: Size 9 and 11? Are you meaning between sizes, or are these actual sizes I have yet to come across?

sadly these sizes do not exist.hense why its such an annoyance when going shopping!
  • Options
    draven wrote:
    Aberdeen doesnt (no Zara, Mango, Principles, or Pilot). And thats fine, whatever, nothing I can do about that.

Get a bus down to Edinburgh, or Glasgow then. :/
  • Options
    freak wrote:
    sadly these sizes do not exist.hense why its such an annoyance when going shopping!

TK Maxx usually have all these odd sizes, you just need to set a few hours aside so you can have a complete rummage.
  • Options
    Many "designer" shops offer in between sizes, like 9's and 11''s but you have to pay a little extra. I've never seen in between sizes available in high street shops, but creating a larger range of sizes would be far too expensive for most companies I guess... And, yes, a size 4 does exist, it's just not commercially available or classed as a "standard" size. As it's not in major demand there's no hurry for most retails to stock, or even make, that size or any in between sizes.
    1983 wrote:
    TK Maxx usually have all these odd sizes, you just need to set a few hours aside so you can have a complete rummage.
    hehe, I used to work in a tk maxx and many a bargain were found!

EBAY is an absolute god send. Over the past few years most of my clothing has come from sellers there.

Carolina: Thanks for your recom. I shall check out principles promptly!
  • Options
    I always have trouble finding jeans. As im 5'2 all jeans I buy are way too long and i always have to roll them up. As well as being short, I also have large hips and bum, so I always have to get bigger sizes to fit the hips. But the bigger I get, the longer they get!

Dorothy perkins is really good though. I actually found one pair of jeans that fit my waist, hips, bum and is just the right length.

I have more problem with bottoms than tops though.