Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

trial periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so i'm on a 26 week trial period with my new employer, which tbh sucks, i mean come on 26 weeks! Anyway what i am hoping at least one of you guys or girls might know the answer to this, After being their 3 weeks 2moro i've decided the job isnt right for me, more so outside factors but within the last week they have basically changed a lot of the goalposts so to speak, and keep changing little things and not sticking to my contract, which im not happy with, ive tried talking with people but they just walk off whenever i try so i gave up.

If i go in and say to them i want to end my trial, would i be eligble for JSA again or would me ending my trial period myself fall under tthat rule about not being eligble if you choose to leave your job, i mean im on a trial period and they are their for these type of things, in case stuff like this happens... Anyway if you understand what im trying to get at, do you have an answer at all. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    I don't think they would let you sign on JSA straightaway as you will have voluntarily left a job. I had a job for a couple weeks, I left as I hated it so much ( something I have never done before or since!) and I was told I could sign on straightaway, but I would have to go 2 weeks with no jobseekers allowance as a forfeit.

I think the trial period is more for the employers benefit than yours, if it's not working out when the period comes to an end they can just get rid of you, no questions asked.

Could you not start looking for a new job before you leave your current job? Even if it's just some bar work to tide you over?
  • Options

I think the trial period is more for the employers benefit than yours, if it's not working out when the period comes to an end they can just get rid of you, no questions asked.

To be fair most trial periods work both ways, so that the notice period is shorter on the employee's part, too.

I doubt it would make any difference to the JSA, though. Essentially whilst in trial period you are employed.
  • Options
    I am actually looking for another job and will keep looking but i cant stand working in this place any longer, im thinking 2moro i will go and cancel my trial period with them, at least i'll get paid to date which is worth a couple hundred squid.
  • Options
    I had 2 temporary contracts and then they kept me on. They tend to do it more during busy periods like christmas.

Is it really so bad that you can't stick it out for the 26 weeks?
  • Options
    I had 2 temporary contracts and then they kept me on. They tend to do it more during busy periods like christmas.

Is it really so bad that you can't stick it out for the 26 weeks?

Sorry i only just noticed you'd replied now :o heh oopsie..

Anyway, yeh it really is that bad, ever since i started they keep changing the goal posts so to speak, they really arent coming and going with me and without going into the long full story the only real option is to find anothe rjob, and leave them.