Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Broadband Probs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My bf's with Eclipse and basically tried to use the internet (log onto messenger, open internet explorer etc...) and it's the "Cannot be found" check your internet settings screen. When he tried to log onto messenger, it said that it couldn't connect because it was behind a firewall. There was also a screen (sorry to sound vague) in My Computer and it listed his connections and beside his broadband it said "Disconnected, firewalled"

Now the only firewall he has is the one that came with the Windows Service Pack 2. Being slightly more knowledgable on computers and knowing my way around a bit, I made suggestions but he wouldn't try any of them cause he's terrified of his computer and was playing with the settings, kept turning the damn computer off (sooo irritating wacthing him cock up repeatedly and BEING IGNORED!!) and then disabled the connection and wouldn't listen to my suggestions to enable it again. Basically I wondered if any ones had similar issues because I do use a dial up which makes it a lil harder to relate to how the broadband works - and any ideas on resolving it!

Malt xxx :D

Comments

• Options
    I've had problems with the Windows Firewall limiting internet use, not to the point of it not letting me on MSN though... Turn it off and see what happens, if that works then d/l or buy another firewall..
  • Options
    I did manage to persuade him to turn off the firewall and it made no difference. Would it mean properly turning off the comp in order for it to take full effect or just turning it off and trying again? We did the latter

Malt xxx
  • Options
    No usually as soon as you turn if off it takes effect..
    Go to Internet Options ----> Advanced tab and check for anything abnormal..

Maybe someone else here has some input?