Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

difine terrorism.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and wat exactly is a terrorist?
this thread was inspired if thats the right word ...by the freedom v terrorism thread.
why?
cos to have any chance whatsoever of luke understanding what the hell is going on ...he needs this knowledge.
bye for now.i have to spend the day on my knees ...bowing to the god of laminates!

Comments

• Options
    Terrorism:

The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Names come to mind...
  • Options
    Definition: [n] the systematic use of violence as a means to intimidate or coerce societies or governments

hyperdictionary
  • Options
    for alot of people, the word terrorist conjours up images of mad muslims on a hell bent journey to achieve jihad who'll stop at nothing to destroy the western world, terrorism comes in many forms, arabs,whites,blacks,christain,muslim,marxist, people just don't see this, thats why i think the "war on terror" is so flawed, they spend billions on iraq while terrorists in colombia and northern ireland are free to do what they want, hows george bush going to stop the next catholic family getting a petrol bomb thrown through their window? he can't, the best way to solve these problems is through dialogue and reconciliation, getting to know your "enemy", so thats why i am very dubious of the war on terror and thats why people like luke annoy me sometimes, they're too one-dimensional when it comes to sorting these problems out.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    turlough shut up.

why, point out something in my post that deserves me "to shut up"
  • Options
    my definition....

"Someone who intends to delibrately kill or maim innocent people for thier own beliefs or gain."
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    my definition....

"Someone who intends to delibrately kill or maim innocent people for thier own beliefs or gain."

nice to someone else agrees that bush's regime are terrorists, good on ya.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    luke annoy me sometimes

i annoy you but i like it that way, it's only a bit of banter, chill out man.
  • Options
    nice to someone else agrees that bush's regime are terrorists, good on ya.

No I dont believe Bush's regime delibrately targets the innocents, though I believe they are very careless and dont put as much effort necessary into averting it.

Put it this way I dont compare them to the IRA who plant a bomb in a pub with the hope and intention of killing as many innnocent men, women and children as possible
  • Options
    You've been suckered
    Tommo100 wrote:
    No I dont believe Bush's regime delibrately targets the innocents, though I believe they are very careless and dont put as much effort necessary into averting it.

Put it this way I dont compare them to the IRA who plant a bomb in a pub with the hope and intention of killing as many innnocent men, women and children as possible

The "hope and intention" thing is guff. Do you feel better knowing that more innocent civilians will end up being killed 'accidentally' by the good guys, than deliberately dismembered by the bad guys?
  • Options
    Isnt it weird that the brittish Government are paying more attention to Islamis terrorists these days than they did For the last 25 years when Irish Republicans Actually attacked Greater London and killed their Gov. Officials .
    I know the Irish and N.Irish have stopped attacks on the UK mainland but the Islams attach once every 8 years, i think its all out of perportional
  • Options
    Isnt it weird that the brittish Government are paying more attention to Islamis terrorists these days than they did For the last 25 years when Irish Republicans Actually attacked Greater London and killed their Gov. Officials .
    I know the Irish and N.Irish have stopped attacks on the UK mainland but the Islams attach once every 8 years, i think its all out of perportional
    WTF are you rabbiting on about :confused:

Seriously
  • Options
    Google. Define:terrorism

"Any act including, but not limited to, the use of force or violence and/or threat thereof of any person or group(s) of persons whether acting alone or on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation(s) or government(s) committed for political, religions, ideological or similar purposes, including the intention to influence any government and/or to put the public or any section of the public in fear."

;):p
  • Options
    ...and that would include the war criminals incumbent in the Whitehouse, the Pentagon and their financial backers, big business.

Simple really.

;)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    for alot of people, the word terrorist conjours up images of mad muslims on a hell bent journey to achieve jihad who'll stop at nothing to destroy the western world, terrorism comes in many forms, arabs,whites,blacks,christain,muslim,marxist, people just don't see this, thats why i think the "war on terror" is so flawed, they spend billions on iraq while terrorists in colombia and northern ireland are free to do what they want, hows george bush going to stop the next catholic family getting a petrol bomb thrown through their window? he can't, the best way to solve these problems is through dialogue and reconciliation, getting to know your "enemy", so thats why i am very dubious of the war on terror and thats why people like luke annoy me sometimes, they're too one-dimensional when it comes to sorting these problems out.
    i know your still having serious problems over there mate but ...we have come a long way ...the mainland is safe even if you lot aint!
  • Options
    WTF are you rabbiting on about :confused:

Seriously

here what r u sayin aboutr my cousin, i'll knock ya out
  • Options
    i know your still having serious problems over there mate but ...we have come a long way ...the mainland is safe even if you lot aint!

yes england is safe as it is now, we still get the few sumbags who still believe catholics are a bub human monority, we suffer alot, prejudice and all, i can hanfdle it though
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    yes england is safe as it is now, we still get the few sumbags who still believe catholics are a bub human monority, we suffer alot, prejudice and all, i can hanfdle it though
    it's awful sad that you should have to handle it!
    notice how the english protestants have been made safe though ...over here i mean.
    that is a result in english politics.
    you catholics ...well what was in it for you?
    have you been conned again or have there actualy been benefits for the catholics?
  • Options
    it's awful sad that you should have to handle it!
    notice how the english protestants have been made safe though ...over here i mean.
    that is a result in english politics.
    you catholics ...well what was in it for you?
    have you been conned again or have there actualy been benefits for the catholics?

you always have to watch your back here, you genuinely do fell that you are a sub class, it's ok to be a protestant but catholics, you are only safe in your own community, i can go to some areas and get a beating if i said i was a catholic, its a fucked up world and you mainland people will never ever understand the reality of it, you casn empathize all you want but until you live here you'll never knw what the craic is.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    you always have to watch your back here, you genuinely do fell that you are a sub class, it's ok to be a protestant but catholics, you are only safe in your own community, i can go to some areas and get a beating if i said i was a catholic, its a fucked up world and you mainland people will never ever understand the reality of it, you casn empathize all you want but until you live here you'll never knw what the craic is.
    so why the hell ...own up to being a catholic or a proddy!
    in fact ...why the hell actualy be any of these things?
    surely you have the power to not be any of this bullshit.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Well if I returned home and went into some areas and said I was a Protestant I'd be lucky if a beating was all I got. There's thugs and terrorsists on both sides.
  • Options
    so why the hell ...own up to being a catholic or a proddy!
    in fact ...why the hell actualy be any of these things?
    surely you have the power to not be any of this bullshit.

as i've said before, people take religion very seriously here, even if you say you're from a certain area they'll asusme you are a certain religon, i live in south armagh, it's a renound republicasn area, i'd get a beating if i said i was from there in certain areas, i don't care about religion but alot of people do, its so segregated and it's so fucked up. you have to live here to understand seriously.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    you have to live here to understand seriously.
    obviously.
    i can't get my head round it.
    the marching season ...for fucks sake grow up and move on!
    priests who have the power to forgive bloodshed!
    what happens if you say you are a practising satanist or quaker?
  • Options
    are there realy only two religions over there?
    two choices?
    'two dead ends and you still have to choose?'
  • Options
    There's an old joke, about a Jew being kidnapped by some terrorists who ask him 'Are you a Protestant or a Catholic?'

He replies 'I'm a Jew'

'But are you a Protestant Jew or a Catholic Jew?'

Even if we all became atheists overnight we be Protestant atheists or Catholic atheists.
  • Options
    are there realy only two religions over there?
    two choices?
    'two dead ends and you still have to choose?'

well yes basically, belfast is the most racist city in europe, i must admit i've been prejudiced against the chinese community, years ago i used to smash their windows and give them grief, it's just the way i've been grown up, my da is really racist and sectarian, he filled my head full of shit and i bleieved him, i've matured now and leanded now that it's full of shit but i don't blame him, it's not his fault he grew up bvelieving that shit, it'll be a few generations yet before the community understands the meaning of the word tolerance, but now, it's still a segregated world and it's so fucked up it's unreal.
  • Options
    surely it's time to attack the friggin churches ...burn em down and say never ever again?
    irealy can't get my head round how you cope or why you have all put up with this stuff for so long.
    surely theres an opening for an anti religous party ...but then again probably not ...not without a lot of fucking bullets an y way.
  • Options
    surely it's time to attack the friggin churches ...burn em down and say never ever again?
    irealy can't get my head round how you cope or why you have all put up with this stuff for so long.
    surely theres an opening for an anti religous party ...but then again probably not ...not without a lot of fucking bullets an y way.

we all have our ideals and dreams but at the end of the day the fact remains, religion plays a strong part in out society and the feelings of a monority aren't going to change the mindset of the majority, i can see where you're coming from but the average protestant or catholic who has lived in their area for generations and hav ebeen accustomed to their own beliefs will never see our mindset and i know it'll take a few generations before anything will change.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    we all have our ideals and dreams but at the end of the day the fact remains, religion plays a strong part in out society and the feelings of a monority aren't going to change the mindset of the majority, i can see where you're coming from but the average protestant or catholic who has lived in their area for generations and hav ebeen accustomed to their own beliefs will never see our mindset and i know it'll take a few generations before anything will change.
    so if both sides are supposedly followers and believers in god and christ ...
    how can you be so fucking opposed to one another?
    god obviously can't be on both sides or even one in such a situation?
  • Options
    so if both sides are supposedly followers and believers in god and christ ...
    how can you be so fucking opposed to one another?
    god obviously can't be on both sides or even one in such a situation?

they disguise their prejudicre in the form of religion, the truth is some people just hate pther people of a different religon, i live in a 100% catholic area, i have no protestant or non-white friends, its very very hard for me to mix with other people becaus i don't know the difference, i'm used to my familiar surroundings, i'm sure it's hard for you to understand but here we are very weary of what's not the "norm"
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    they disguise their prejudicre in the form of religion, the truth is some people just hate pther people of a different religon, i live in a 100% catholic area, i have no protestant or non-white friends, its very very hard for me to mix with other people becaus i don't know the difference, i'm used to my familiar surroundings, i'm sure it's hard for you to understand but here we are very weary of what's not the "norm"
    it is impossible for me to comprehend.