Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hairdyes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this is gonna sound like a weird question, but there goes:

I am 14, and I have dyed my hair alot ! Black, Blue, Purple, Green, loads of stuff. But these were black dyes with the coloured tints in them (e.g black with blue tints). I now want to bleach my hair, so i can have full red in my hair. Apparently I cannot do this yet, as my hair might fall out from the chemicals in the black dye which ive used will react with the bleach. So i havent dyed my hair in around 3 months, and a lot of it has disappeared, although there is some black on the top which is difficult to get out.

So should I not try yet? Or can anyone suggest some shampoos which can help the dye get out quicker?

Thanks, sorry if its confusing!!

Comments

• Options
    wash it with head and shoulders, as that fades hair colour quite quickly. Id still wait a while before trying to bleach your hair though, as too much chemical processes can literally make it snap off at the roots. Its up to you though at the end of the day, I dont see why you need to bleach it to dye it red though, or do you mean pillarbox red?
  • Options
    Could you not get a treatment from the hairdressers or something? Or were you thinking more along the lines of a home-jobby?
  • Options
    Since your hair is now a black colour, I would say that your hair colour will definately need to be stripped off before you can have a red tint. This would require your hair to be bleached at a certain level and then the red tint can be put on in order for the red to show up more dominantly.

I would suggest that you should go to your local hairdresser and get their advice on it as this way they can take a look at the condition of your hair whether to go through your the service ir not.
  • Options
    How long is your hair? How is the condition? I'd snip a length out and do a bleach strand test. How long does it take for the bleach to lift the colour out. If you are dying it red you don't need to lift the colour out to blond, just to orange. Red dyes fade really fast on bleached hair - be prepared for the high maintenance of this colour.

I've gone from black to pillarbox red several times - debating doing it again at this precise moment in fact ...

Susie :)

PS - if you change your hair colour A LOT i'd recommend keeping it at a bob length or shorter for the condition.