Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Going out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi
Im about to go out with my mates for someones 18th, now im 17 and dont have any fake ID (too expensive). I don't look older than I am and its hit and miss whether they let me in places/serve me, so have you helpful lot got any advice/tips for me?
Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Options
    well when i used to walk up to doors i just looked calm and relaxed, i.e. wasn't looking at side to side with a serious face, just walk up to the door and say "hi" or "right boss", if you're in a group with other 18 yr olds you're more likely to get in
  • Options
    Thanks for that, all of them are only just 18 and on the tall side lol, wereas me being smaller than them , its maybe, and sometimes can be a disadvantage!! Any other tips would be most appreciated!!!!
  • Options
    If you're in a big loyal group, who will not go in, if you get id'd, just argue for a bit "left my id at home etc" and if they say no, well then all 10 or 15 people walk away, and they'll usually let you in because they're turning down so much money.
  • Options
    helpneeded wrote:
    Thanks for that, all of them are only just 18 and on the tall side lol, wereas me being smaller than them , its maybe, and sometimes can be a disadvantage!! Any other tips would be most appreciated!!!!
    if your a girl heels some decent make-up and suitable clothes (and by that i dont mean scanky stuff) can help
  • Options
    Firstly I have to remind you that it is illegal to drink under 18, you shouldn't be trying to get into clubs at your age etc etc.

Now...

Things I found helpful in the past were to pair yourself up with someone who is 18 and has ID, in a lot of places if there are two people going in somewhere and one of them has ID then they're more likely to let the second person in than if neither of you have ID.

If they ask you for ID tell them you forgot to bring it with you rather than just saying "I haven't got any". If you feel brave enough to argue with them about it, explain to them that you don't drive and you don't want to bring your passport with you, and ask them if they can reccommend anything you get that they will accept that will prove your age. Of course, this won't mean you'll get in but in some places this might soften them up a bit.

In more professional places though it is just a case of no ID, no entry a lot of the time regardless of how you look, what you're wearing etc.
  • Options
    No point arguing with the Bouncers, if they refuse to let you in without any ID. Once they made their mind up that's it. I'm sure they've seen it hundreds of times... kids trying to get in like that.

Best just trying to add some confidence in walking in... making it look like no big deal like you've been in there loads of times, etc. Don't put your head done, as they will get suspicious but at the same time try to avoid direct eye contact cause it will look as if you're trying to prove something.
  • Options
    Actually i've found that arguing with bouncers tends to work. It depends on the place though.
    Pubs are much better for going out than clubs, no bouncers so you can at least get in for sure.
  • Options
    And then arguing with them tends to make yourself look like a twat. No bouncer I know of, would put up with being told what to do.

But hey, if you say that gets you in. Fair Play.
  • Options
    When i was 17, the place we went (and still goto - i'll probably go tonight / tomorrow) was a nice 'alternative' club, like selective, and so usually you could talk your way in. The bouncers were very nice. Once he rang my friends mum to ask if my friend was 18.
  • Options
    LOL doesnt sound much like the bouncers round here. Some places its easy to get in because they've either got no bouncers or the bouncers aren't bothered. But this once particular place they sometimes let me in and sometimes dont! Thanks for all your advice though everone its much appreciated.
  • Options
    I've found calmly handing them my provisional driving licence, which says i'm 17 works a treat. A lot of bouncers are only interested in the last two numbers, and whats 2005 minus 1987? :D

But yeah, if you get turned away either just laugh it off with them which is much easier for both lots of people, or if you're especially desperate sob stories sometimes work :p
  • Options
    Doofay, Great Idea it totally worked!!! thanks again everyone
  • Options
    '87 rocks!
  • Options
    sometimes if you are stood holding id in an obvious way they dont bother asking coz who is going to present them with underage id!!! works a treat, well always used to. would love to be asked for id now!! can also get fakes from the back of cosmopolitan mag, also had a mate that had a proof of age card ,but sent off her older mates details to go with it and just her pic
  • Options
    helpneeded wrote:
    Doofay, Great Idea it totally worked!!! thanks again everyone

:)