Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Countryside Alliance loses appeal against hunting ban

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4214327.stm

Roll on February 18th! :D

Now let's see what the righteous, 'law-abiding' twits do when the law concerns something they like doing.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Goooooooooooo Foxes! :hyper:
    Blair must be very dissapointed though- he was hoping for a delay in the ban becoming law, so it wouldn't happen before the general election.
    *is delighted*
    Between his personal and public life tribulations, Blair is going to be doing a lot more aging before the Election. He may wonder why he ever thought about staying on, instead of sticking to his deal with Brown.
    BlackArab wrote:
    Goooooooooooo Foxes! :hyper:

I don't think this ban on fox hunting will save any foxes...

Anyway I'm just fed up of hearing about fox hunting, it gets way too much coverage and there are far more important things going on. Like innocent people dying in Iraq.
    I agree.

There's only one set of people guilty for the fox hunting issue being around so much and for so long... If only they could accept that they live in a democracy and that the law applies to everyone...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

It certainly won't. And it won't stop farmers putting up even more snares or poison.

And it won't stop a large number of people from my area hunting.
    Weekender Offender 

The issue though is not so much to prevent the killing of foxes, but to prevent the killing of foxes in such a ridiculously outmoded and cruel fashion.

Anyway, it will be appealed, and most likely either the House of Lords or the ECHR will overturn the ban on some technicality.

I would find it a bit ridiculous if anything to do with the ban is held in the House of Lords, when it is the Lords that has held up the law for such a long time it would seem something of a conflict of interests.
    Mist wrote:
    The issue though is not so much to prevent the killing of foxes, but to prevent the killing of foxes in such a ridiculously outmoded and cruel fashion.

No it's more of a class issue.
    Foxes will still be killed a cruel manner unless you consider snares and poison humane.

TBH I don't find the thought of hunting with hounds very nice but then it's only a fox and I really couldn't give a fuck.
    Weekender Offender 
    was about stopping a stupidly cruel practice, in scotland where theres effectively a ban with dogs, more foxes were killed last year, cause now its actually done as real pest control not as a overly pompous social gathering which just tires and bleeds foxes to death, as now they an do pest control with dogs on foxes, but have to shoot the fox dead

so what if its the countryside, doesnt mean torturing animals can pass as a social activity
    Skive wrote:
    Foxes will still be killed a cruel manner unless you consider snares and poison humane.

Does the farmer turn that into a social event then?

Because that is my complaint. Not solely that it is a barbaric form of "pest control" but that the whole event becomes a social occasion, and that is really disgusting. It then becomes less of a pest control issue and more of cruelty for fun.
    Given that you have to kill foxes huntings a much quicker way than poison (which can often leave them lingering for days) or shooting (again they often linger for days).

Also hunting tends to kill the old foxes, not the younger fitter ones with cubs. All other forms of control are pretty indiscriminate in which type of foxes they kill, leaving loads of cubs to starve to death.

Its discrimination against a group of people our present rulers don't have any sympathy with and because people find it enjoyable.

Its a disgraceful bit of legislation motivated purely by hate and ignorance.
    NQA wrote:
    Its discrimination against a group of people our present rulers don't have any sympathy with and because people find it enjoyable.

Why should they have sympathy with people who kill wild animals for fun?

By "a group of people" what do you mean?
    Does the farmer turn that into a social event then?

Because that is my complaint. Not solely that it is a barbaric form of "pest control" but that the whole event becomes a social occasion, and that is really disgusting. It then becomes less of a pest control issue and more of cruelty for fun.

If the fox dies an unpleasent death it's alright with you aslong as people don;t make it into a socail event?
    What does it matter?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    If the fox dies an unpleasent death it's alright with you aslong as people don;t make it into a socail event?
    What does it matter?

If hunting was purely about pest control, and was effective, then I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it. Given that even the countryside alliance suggested that the majority of hunt don't actually catch a fox you have to ask about the effectiveness - unless of course they we just saying that to sway public opinion.

Personally, I still see the system as barbaric (you try being chased for miles and then ripped apart) and would prefer more humane methods to be used. Assuming that you need to control foxes anyway.

But to turn it into a social event, to glory in the killing, to "blood" youngsters etc just makes the whole thing about fun, and it shouldn't be that way.

Unless you would also support cock-fighting and badger-baiting.
    Considering that being chased for up to hours at the time and then being torn to pieces and disembowelled alive is infinitely worse than being shot or poisoned...

and considering also that many of those foxes who eventually manage to evade the pack of wild beasts (not to mention the dogs) that chase them end up dying of shock and exhaustion anyway...

it would seem to me that the pro-hunt lobby don't really have a foot to stand on when it comes to the welfare of the fox or humane ways to kill it.

As for the "service" hunts provide to the Countryside... they're well known to breed foxes themselves so there's always some to chase- so that gives you an indication of how concerned they are by the large numbers of that "vermin" destroying farmers' produce.
    Group of people = hunters - who the Govt (and many others) seem to believe are made up of the idle rich, but in reality are a cross-section of the rural population.

Many people seemed to admit its not that its cruel that they want it banned, but because people enjoy it or because they believe its only enjoyed by the aristocracy, which both seem to me to be bollocks reasons for banning something.

First its fox-hunting, then what next that people enjoy and others don't like?
    Very few chases are for hours. The fox either evades within minutes or is killed. And I've never heard of a chase last for days, whereas there is plenty of evidence that shot foxes have lasted for days, whilst they gradually die from gangrene (one of the most awful ways to die - human or animal)
    i#d like to know how the hell they are going tp police this ridiculous law.
    it won't be illegal to ride in packs ...dress up in red coats and it won't be illegal to flush the fox out using hounds ...or chase it all afternoon ...
    so ...how many policemen and equipment and helicopters etc are going to be diverted to some windswept hilltop to see if the fox dies at the hands of the dogs or a gun?
    impossible ...impractical and a fucking waste of money and much needed manpower.
    and yes ...the fittest healthiest foxes will no longer have any means of escape ...
    did you know that some slaughterhouse men actualy like their job?
    we going to sack them ...only employ people who hate killing our dinner?
    we going to sack them ...only employ people who hate killing our dinner?

I wonder how many people here could actaully slaughter an animal or even watch it being slaughtered before eating it?
    Not many - that's because people often forget that the meat on there plate was proabably a cute little lamb.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I wonder how many people here could actaully slaughter an animal or even watch it being slaughtered before eating it?
    Not many - that's because people often forget that the meat on there plate was proabably a cute little lamb.
    the hypocrisy is breath taking innit.
    they live in a very unreal world of packaged lifestyles ...
    Skive wrote:

wild rabbit is nice
    it's quite obviously a class thing, well mostly anyway.

if a bunch of upper class twits want to dress silly on a cold afternoon and kill foxes then thats fine by me as long as i have my dinner on my table.
    how do you stop under 16 year olds having sex?

same kinda concept
    MrG wrote:
    how do you stop under 16 year olds having sex?

same kinda concept

i agree, there'll be a few arrests or whatnot but how the hell can the government patrol all parts of the countryside everyday of the year.
    How long before grouse and pheasant shooting is banned because birds are bred to be shot? How long before fishing?

not sure, still won't have an impact on the sports themselves, people will stil do them.
    There might be genuine concern that bird shooting or fishing might be banned in the future as well, but that cannot be used to justify fox hunting.

Pro-hunt supporters have been grasping at every straw they have found, from the "shooting and fishing is next" to the "it's urban hatred towards country folk" to the welfare of the foxes (ha!) to a great many other things which, in fact, have nothing to do with the argument at hand.
    the fish want to fight back
    YellowFish.jpg
    Wonderful news. I'm sure that foxes all around the land will be celebrating tonight. Maybe. :yeees: