Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the tories lament childrens lack of historical knowledge

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's all about aesthetics, some people see the use in the aesthetical aspect of educaiton, others don't, doesn't mean we should shun it as a whole, i never saw the use of maths but it's something i had to learn whether i liked it or not and i believe the same goes for history.
  • Options
    the only one i got wrong was when great britian was created
  • Options
    who controls the past controls the present,
    who controls the present controls the future - George Orwell

while science subjects might make you a more efficient person, art subjects such as history and english make you a better person, unless you have an understanding of subjects like history, which force you to question society and the press etc, you will find yourself continually lied to for example by the government,
  • Options
    I strongly agree with the fact that History should be made compulsary to the age of 16, if not to 18 when finishing school.

I have always envied British kids for having the choice to focuse on a few subjects come the age of 15/16.
    Though from what I have been able to gather it hasn't made them smarter than me on those subjects, they don't necessarily know more than me, and yet I have had the opportunity to study more subjects.
    Here, regardless of the sujects one chooses to study, and the basis line one has chosen (scientific or linguist) Danish and History are compulsary until graduation.

And yes, I got 7 at the test, but I am using the same excuse as Aladdin "I am not British".
  • Options
    I got ten, though the 14th century event and United Kingdom date were educated guesses.
  • Options
    I got 8. Mostly luck more than anything, my historical knowledge is generally shocking. I think it could be compulsory at GCSE, I didn't do it and I really wish I had. On another note I think its stupid that a Modern Foreign Language isn't compulsory anymore, I believe its that that is going to lead to more arrogant British tourists :mad:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if I repeat anything.

History is compulsory here from 8 years old to 18. We actually go through the whole thing three times, each time with more details.
    Although I really, totally, absolutely hate history, I do agree that it's important for the sole purpose of not repeating the same mistakes.
    But I ask this: How does knowing the exact date of when something happened or the names of all people who did it help in not repeating the same mistakes? All you need to know is that it happened. More details should be available only for those who are interested in them.
  • Options
    I got 7.

tbh I didn't learn much in school.
  • Options
    while science subjects might make you a more efficient person, art subjects such as history and english make you a better person, unless you have an understanding of subjects like history, which force you to question society and the press etc, you will find yourself continually lied to for example by the government,
    Don't you see the huge irony in what you've just said and your username? This is exactly what the Daily Mail has been saying for years!