Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the tories lament childrens lack of historical knowledge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Science is more importent having said that theres some things peiople should know about history,

Oh I got 10
  • Options
    Personally, I don't believe that History is more important than Geography or a foreign language. The only redeeming factor of compulsory History up to the age of 16 could possibly be the learning from the past angle on it.

I was watching a programme on Channel 4 the other day where modern children from London were put through 1960's schooling, and from what they showed most children weren't sure where Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool andd other big cities were. There isn't a call for compulsory Geography though.

Oh, and I got 9 too on the little quiz.
  • Options
    7 :crying: :blush:
  • Options
    To grab a well-used cliche, history has a habit of repeating itself.

It is truly appalling that 45% of people in Britain today (and 60% of under 30s) have never heard of Auschwitz. In only a generation or two a new Hitler could arise to power and the international community would probably allow it, judging by the decline in knowledge regarding the Holocaust.

I also find an undeniable link between ignorance and intolerance, especially concerning historical events.

As for the quiz, I scored 8... but then I'm not British :p
  • Options
    The thing is, I did history until AS level and to be honest I can remember very little of what was taught to me, and it was only 2 years ago that I stopped doing it. The way that history is taught is often very unstimulating and it is difficult to grasp because you tend to concentrate on one period - nothing is related to anything else.

What I think would help would be at high school level to start with ancient history and cover briefly all major historical events until the present day, including major conflicts etc. as opposed to going really in-depth with one period in one particular country. I know there is a lot of material to cover, but at the moment they've got at least three years to do it in.

I know a lot of children find it difficult to follow events and conflicts that are happening in the world because they have no understanding of past events/conflicts that have led to recent conflicts, so it makes it difficult to understand important things that are happening today.

And I got 7 in the little quiz thing.
  • Options
    Science is more importent having said that theres some things peiople should know about history,

Oh I got 10

Why is science more important?

Obviously, basic scientific principles are necessary but at school I learnt things such as the nitrogen cycle and how to balance chemical equations, something which I have never used or can ever see myself needing to use later in life.
  • Options
    Science, history, foreing language and geography are ALL as important as each other.

Keep them all, and drop other subjects if you must. Religion, for instance...
  • Options
    i got 7. got the longest serving monarch, which happened in the 14th century and the year the UK was formed wrong.

although in my defence, i didn't study history past key stage 3, which was 10 years ago. so i think i did pretty well.

on a related note, that shows that education is not entirely reliant on what you learn in school. parents and kids themselves are as much to blame.
  • Options
    Science is the most important its what enables us to compete interationaly in high tech industries and earn money for the country medican is a science and were short of doctors, we need more engineers doctors and other scientists in this country, we dont need more historians or geographers.

How are we having this conversation because of science, its how the buss runs me to work and how everything works, its what keeps you alive if your in hospital, of course its much more important to have good science in this country that geography or history or media studies.
  • Options
    I would say History is equally as important as the other two. You need an understanding of the past to understand the present.

Saying that though there is always going to be the question of what history is taught. The Tories may call for more teaching of famous battles as they have done in the past but certainly my interest in History was stimulated by learning about the Cold War, the history of NATO and the EU. All extremely relevant for a schoolboy in the 80s.

I think kids need to learn more about their own local areas as well and how people lived there say before WW2, it might give them a greater appreciation of modern life.
  • Options
    Science is the most important its what enables us to compete interationaly in high tech industries and earn money for the country medican is a science and were short of doctors, we need more engineers doctors and other scientists in this country, we dont need more historians or geographers.

How are we having this conversation because of science, its how the buss runs me to work and how everything works, its what keeps you alive if your in hospital, of course its much more important to have good science in this country that geography or history or media studies.

Yes, but just because you study History or Geography doesn't mean you will becaome a historian or geographer, just that you have a better understanding of History and Geography. To me, that is as important as having a grasp of basic science. Based on your reasoning for science being the most important, I could say that I never needed to study it as I don't have any intention of being a doctor, engineer, scientist or entering into high-tech industries.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Science, history, foreing language and geography are ALL as important as each other.

I'm taking Religious Studies AS/A2 and although that's mainly philosophy I think it's quite a useful and important subject. Apparantly unis don't consider it a bad thing to do Alevel either. I don't think a foreign language is as important as History either, it's good that they let you drop it at 14 now. Annoyingly my school didn't let me drop it then. Although AS which I'm doing now I could choose whatever I wanted really.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Aladdin wouldn't you say that knowledge about religion is extremely important and relevant with regards to recent events.
  • Options
    But the history of the world's religions would be taught in History lessons. Children would know about the existence of Christianity, Judaism, Islam and so on.

They just wouldn't be made to spend many hours per term being told in full detail about a particular religion, as the case is now with religious education.
  • Options
  • Options
    At my school in the early 80s, we did the Bible for about a term and the rest was other religions and philisophical stuff about the world in general. I didn't realise things had changed.
  • Options
  • Options
    That sounds reasonable enough.

I was just suggesting that if there is such thing as too many subjects for pupils to study, we have to be very careful as to what we should drop from the curriculum. Science, geography and history (toghether with English, grammar and maths) should always be seen as 'untouchable' subjects IMO.
  • Options
    9, lose.

History is hardly more important that the other humanities, like RS or Business or Geography. I fail to see why it'll actually be helpful to learn it past 14.
  • Options
    I got 9

Dammit I really should have got the Marshall plan one, i did my frigging history a level coursework on post war Germany. :o

I blame up being only awake 5 minutes.
  • Options
    10 out of 10 first go :p

history itself as a subject, its main goal is to discuss things, thats why its better for going into law as a profession since you learn really good discussion and anlytical skills

however people need to be aware of things that happned too

and if youre afriad of scaring them, well tough cause its moving and thats why it should neve rhappen again

sadly it seems things are going that way with darfur :(
  • Options
    the problem you have is that any kids who'd benefit from more indepth history lessons will probably learn about these things on their own. the ones who wouldn't learn things for themselves would probably not pay a great deal of attention even if they were forced to study it to GCSE level.

i don't think the problem lies with the standard of education, but with the attitudes of the kids.
  • Options
    History is great for law, but how does it help an engineer more than business would?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    10 out of 10. Get in! :D

Though I did have an educated guess at question 3.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    History should be a core subject that every pupil learns about- just as every pupil has to learn basic maths and grammar.

Perhaps past certain age and point history should become a voluntary subject- just as the others should actually. Someone good at literature or languages and who wants to direct their studies in that direction don't need to know advanced maths, for instance... But I believe all children should study those essential subjects until certain age.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    History is great for law, but how does it help an engineer more than business would?

such thing as flexibility you know, its a subject that gives you good practice in analysing peoples accounts etc so its a life skill

yeh children who dont want to learn its attitude is the problem cause those who are interested will know anyway,
  • Options
    Knowledge of history isn't a life skill. The skills to well at history are true for many other subjects, subjects that are also in their own rights a life skill. Flexibility you say? So why be forced to learn history?
  • Options
    History explains the present. If you want to understand the problems with todays world, it helps to have some idea why they came about.

It also gives you perspective, ie the fact that we have problems today means that we're no different from the countless generations that have gone before.

I might be biased though,as I'm God's own history bore
  • Options
    my history teacher said to me recently

history is yesterdays politics and politics is tomorows history, we need to understand both in order to progress without making the same mistakes. and history at A-level is more about developing your skills in reading, writing and essay technique than actually learning stuff, i regularly watch programs on TV about certain events and periods in history, it's a genuine interest i think all should have to a basic degree, at the same time i'm not going to look down on someone who doesn't know what the magna carta was or when the uk became part of great britain, does that give u a hint in what i got in the test, 9.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    the problem you have is that any kids who'd benefit from more indepth history lessons will probably learn about these things on their own. the ones who wouldn't learn things for themselves would probably not pay a great deal of attention even if they were forced to study it to GCSE level.

i don't think the problem lies with the standard of education, but with the attitudes of the kids.

Indeed. I think that the kids just aren't interested and the parents probably don't encourage history because "other subjects will get you further" or whatever.

I got 8/10 on the quiz. Didn't know what year Great Britain was formed in, and forgot which one the Marshal plan was. Still, not too shabby seeing as I last learnt about this stuff years and years ago.

History is something that is going to be more beneficial to those who are really interested in it, rather than science like subject that tend to be leading towards something.