Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Latest on the jobs front

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
Today, I had to go down to the job centre to see someone whose job title is "Disability Employment Adviser" to help me with my job hunting. It all started off very well, I'd explained that I was keen to start working and that I was sorting out some problems in my life at the moment which I didn't go into. Presumably this would be seen as a good thing by the job centre. A chance to keep someone off benefits and into work, maybe? Well...

When I explained that I wasn't on any benefits, things started to go wrong. I was told that the job centre have currently no way of knowing what I am doing. The way they see it, when they look at the computer and check under my name, as they see I'm not on benefits, they have to assume I'm in work. It's a long story, but according to the system I would have to register onto one of three benefits before they could help me out: Jobseekers Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Income Support. I came there to see if they could assist me in finding work. Instead, I was actually told to see my doctor and ask for a sick note!

They've now told me to see my doctor early next week, get a sick note from him. I'm told to then go back to the job centre to make a claim for Incapacity Benefit! Only then will they be able to help me out. This is not what I expected at all. It seems this is the only one of two options - the other being find work entirely by myself, which while it could be rewarding, I've found near impossible to do so far.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went to 'Connexions' to ask for careers advise.
    After an hour of an old man jabbering on about his past 'students' he sent me to the Job Centre, to claim Job Seeker's Allowance, because I'm 18 and unemployed. Connexions helped to a certain extent, but they didn't seem to know a lot about employment in the local area.

    I am now claiming JSA, and my careers advisor at the Job Centre, has given me loads of things to look into, I was surprised at how much she knew about the area of work I'd like to look.

    When you start claiming benefits, you'll be expected to attend an interview - Karen interviewed me, and she was extremely helpful in getting me into work/career and knew exactly where to look!

    Why don't you claim benefits? I'm sure they'll be much more help if you attend interview - they'll know exactly the type of work you're looking for, and will point you in the right direction! It's worth a try?

    Ilora x
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sadly, I can't use the Connexions service as I live in Wales, but thanks for suggesting that anyway. As for them knowing exactly what type of job I want, I don't even know that myself. I have long-term ideas, but for that, I'll need to attend university first. It's a long story, but my application for that fell through. I'm having to look for now instead at more short-term employment options.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never heard of anyone getting a job through the job centre. When I've been there the only kinds of jobs I've seen advertised have been cleaning/nursery nurse/building type jobs.

    You would be better off going to job agencies, careers advisors, getting the weekly newspaper when it has jobs adverts in, and looking on the internet.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Omg, you sound just like me. The career I want, I can't have right now, because my Uni thing fell through. But, Karen at the job centre, showed me all the ways I can get into my chosen career, without going to uni. University isn't the be all and end all!!

    But seriously, go on benefits, if only for 2 weeks, and then they'll help you! Go to the interview - If you have an incling in what you want to do, tell them and they'll do their best to find you some info!!

    Good luck! Ilora x
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PussyKatty wrote:
    You would be better off going to job agencies, careers advisors, getting the weekly newspaper when it has jobs adverts in, and looking on the internet.
    Probably. There are virtually no job agencies in my area, I've searched around, so that's out of the question. But I'm doing all the others.
    But seriously, go on benefits, if only for 2 weeks, and then they'll help you! Go to the interview - If you have an incling in what you want to do, tell them and they'll do their best to find you some info!!
    I have to get a sick note from my doctor - who I'm seeing next week - get a note and turn up. It just sounds like having to do more than necessary. I'll give the interview a try, though.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I've never heard of anyone getting a job through the job centre. When I've been there the only kinds of jobs I've seen advertised have been cleaning/nursery nurse/building type jobs.

    there's loads of interesting jobs on the online job search of the jobcentre site, but your best bet is looking through them yourself, finding a few you're interested in, then ringing up and asking to apply for the specific jobs.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, like Kaffrin said. I've used the Job Search online, and there are lots of interesting jobs.

    And you have to click through all the options to view all the areas. There are hundreds of categories, not just "cleaning/nursery nurse/building type jobs".

    Ilora x
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And you have to click through all the options to view all the areas. There are hundreds of categories, not just "cleaning/nursery nurse/building type jobs".
    Just as well as these are three categories of job that I'm not interested in. Anyway, thanks for the initial replies, very helpful of you all.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What kind of jobs are you interested in ?

    There will probably be somewhere on the net you can look.

    monster.co.uk or www.jobsite.co.uk or www.jobserve.com

    On the other note, why don't you just sign on for JSA and not bother with all this sick note lark.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote:
    What kind of jobs are you interested in ?
    There will probably be somewhere on the net you can look.
    monster.co.uk or www.jobsite.co.uk or www.jobserve.com
    Jobs I'm interested in vary quite a bit. One area I'm interested in is health, not sure exactly what though, perhaps mental health. There's also an idea of working in the media, though that's such a huge area I'll have to think more about it. Don't want to close off too many options too early. As for the sick note malarkey, I don't know whether I'll go ahead with it, I need to think about it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    can you not just claim job seekers allowance???
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wyetry wrote:
    can you not just claim job seekers allowance???
    In theory, yes.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    In theory, yes.

    so you're not because.....?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    so you're not because.....?
    It's a long story, that's all I'm willing to say here. Fuller explanation on LiveJournal.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im working and go to the jobcentre sometimes I just browse the system for any jobs I want to apply for, go to an adviser they take my NI number and say "so are you still working and not claiming benifits" I say yes and hand them the printouts of the jobs im interested in and they give me the details to apply.

    If your not working you should apply for benifits as its money and your entitled.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ...browse the system for any jobs I want to apply for, go to an adviser they take my NI number and say "so are you still working and not claiming benifits" I say yes and hand them the printouts of the jobs im interested in and they give me the details to apply...
    Eerily similar to my experiences.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would sign on Jobseekers Allowance personally, if only for the fact you will be credited with Class 1 National Insurance contributions. The fact you have a National Insurance record may help later if you apply for any contributions based benefits and will count towards your state pension (if it still exists when you retire!)

    The Jobcentre are helpful, as long as you actually want to work. I got my job through an advert there. To be more helpful they actually need you to sign on with them though.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would sign on Jobseekers Allowance personally, if only for the fact you will be credited with Class 1 National Insurance contributions. The fact you have a National Insurance record may help later if you apply for any contributions based benefits and will count towards your state pension.
    They asked me to go onto Incapacity Benefit for a couple of weeks, and that when they've helped me into work, I'll be off of that. I'll see my doctor on Monday to ask for this note, as I don't know if I can do this all on my own.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Turns out I will in fact be seeing my doctor tomorrow morning, due to some problems there this morning. Personally, I think having to go onto benefits just for them to help me find work and go off them again is stupid, but I'll go ahead with it. But that still won't satisfy some people, least of all my parents. I'm trying to take a step in the right direction and all they can do is complain.
Sign In or Register to comment.