Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Holocaust Memorial Day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's the 60th anniversery of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp today. I thought it was important. Info

Edit: The would info is a link.

Comments

• Options
    I agree it is well worth a mention.

I was horrorfied to learn that something like 60% of people in this country had never heard of the concentration camp. :(
  • Options
    Me to - its very disturbing - but I guess not something that comes up in every day conversation though.

Definatly something that people should thing about - they were saying on radio 4 this morning that its very easy to distance yourself from the holocaust and think that it was some horrific glitch in history but in reality it could happen anywhere given the right circumstances.......
  • Options
    i was watching one of the programes on the natzi reigeme the other day and it was horrific. i know very little about histry and was very surprised at the extent of the killings.

is there a scilence or anything?
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Me to - its very disturbing - but I guess not something that comes up in every day conversation though.

Definatly something that people should thing about - they were saying on radio 4 this morning that its very easy to distance yourself from the holocaust and think that it was some horrific glitch in history but in reality it could happen anywhere given the right circumstances.......

I read in The Independent this morning in a big article about it that people think its ancient history, however it was only 20 years before the Beatles...
  • Options
    I know, I could never walk into the concentration camp.
    Even thinking about it, scares me. Just feel soo sorry for those victims.
  • Options
    yep the second world war finished only 32 years before I was born - which is quite a scary thought, its really not history at all - when I was little the bomb creators in the woods opposite where I lived we still really visable and my parents generation all grew up with rationing which continue into the 1950's
  • Options
    Wheresmyplacebo did a thread about this a while back.

Although I think it important that people do learn about this, its easy to think of it as a one off. Something that the Nazi's did and no-one else.

This kind of genocide happens quite often, yes not on the industrial scale of the Nazi's but many millions were killing on the killing fields of Cambodia, or Soviet Russia.

And the Sudan is heading this way too.

It is, unfortuantely, part of human nature, the want to blame 'the other' for lifes ills. If only we can rid ourselves of blacks, whites, jews, muslims, X, then we will be fine.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    yep the second world war finished only 32 years before I was born - which is quite a scary thought, its really not history at all - when I was little the bomb creators in the woods opposite where I lived we still really visable and my parents generation all grew up with rationing which continue into the 1950's

Yet people don't even know about it.

If we forget history we are doomed to let it happen again, look at the rise (kind of) in the far right in Britain for example.
  • Options
    PussyKaty who posts on thesite, wrote an excellent article for the BBC in relation to the anniversary, about her visit to the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem :)

Will see if I can find it.
  • Options
    THIS SHOULD BE IN POLITICS YOU LOSER :|

:p
  • Options
    hey, sorry to drag up a *dead* thread, but i went to auschwitz on monday. was possibly the saddest place i have ever been. is so hard to imagine that those things actually happened. it was sick. and i am not ashamed to admit that i shed a few tears there. having said that, i was glad i went, definitely put things in perspective. also while in poland, i went to a synagogue in the jewish quarter of krakow and watched a film showing the deportation of jews to the camps. that was equally as sad. people's awareness definitely needs to be raised. i cant believe that 60% havent heard of it. maybe this anniversary will help, was it well documented in england? i saw lots of tv crew when i was there.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    THIS SHOULD BE IN POLITICS YOU LOSER :|

:p

whats political about remembering the million or so that was killed?
  • Options
    I'd love to see Auchvitz
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    MoonRat wrote:
    I'd love to see Auchvitz

See, I don't think I could visit a place like that. I don't think I am strong enough to do something like that.
  • Options
    was it well documented in england? i saw lots of tv crew when i was there.

it's a huge thing in poland. so many people died that they say it was the equivalent of every single person in poland losing at least one family member. even down to the second and third generation, everyone knows someone who was sent to the camps.

over here it's not so a big, cause people don't realise the scale of the whole thing. and they can distance themselves from it in a way that the poles can't.

my family are going over to poland in june, and wanted to take me. i know they'll be going to auschwitz, and to the war graves, and i don't think i could deal. my mother has been before and says it's somewhere everyone should see, but you'll never want to go back.