Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Barley Wood Rehab

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i'm new here and was wondering if anyone had any comments, negative or postitive on Barley Wood Treatment Centre in Somerset, cos i'm going there next week to start my detox and probably not going to get to see the place before i go...
Thanx

Comments

• Options
    sorry boss never heard of it, i'm not sure anyone here has been (most of us love our drinkndrugs too much and aren't ready to quit) but i'm sure you'l be treated well and i hope it all goes well for ya :thumb:
  • Options
    Hi there

i've sent quite a few clients to Barley Wood for a 6 monther. I've never had any bad feedback about it.

It all depends who's in there @ the mo, eg, staff & clients. But more importantly, it's your own determination, motivation and self-will power. As the easey part is Detoxing, but the hardest part, is staying clean/dry, and not relapsing.

Did you do a Medical Detox? Brook Drive? Long Yard? City Rd's?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Rehab's for quitters.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hi, thanks for replying and yep i totally agree with what you're saying that it depends on the crowd in there at the time - i'm going to get off drugs and medication though, not to find a new social scene, i haven't lost sight of that! I just wondered what it was like as a place with regards to what the regime is like. I am actually going to be detoxed at Barley Wood, i'm currently on 70ml of methadone a day, the biggest mistake i ever made going on that stuff, but that's another story! Not sure what you mean by Brook Drive Long Yard City Rd's though, i'm not from Bristol/Somerset area, i'm on the isle of wight... Can't wait to gett here though i am so looking forward to getting all this crap behind me at long last
  • Options
  • Options
    err domiow i think u joined the wrong board mate
  • Options
    SOPH1A wrote:

Not at all, many people here are extremely well educated about drugs and know the ins and outs of drug use and abuse... people here give out good advice.
  • Options
    domiow wrote:
    Hi, i'm new here and was wondering if anyone had any comments, negative or postitive on Barley Wood Treatment Centre in Somerset, cos i'm going there next week to start my detox and probably not going to get to see the place before i go...
    Thanx
    go for it mate!
    NEVER HEARD OF THE PLACE ..you ...can make the place work maybe.
    some of 'em are crap till the right client turns up ...seriously.
    how determined are you?
    are you being sent there against your will?
    if so ...you won't be that person.
    excuse the off cuff comments in here ...your new ...this lot are basicly dead sound ...even bong!
    your in with a good bunch of USERS REMEMBER ....mostly.
    so any notion of needing to go to rehab is totaly alien to them.
    i've been in rehab for addiction.
    it worked for me ...not the way they would like but ...i did it for me ...not them.
    do it ...do it ...and do it some more ...see if you can be ...a voice of calm and reason ...whenever your confronted wth sonmething you disagree with ...if you feel you have been proved wrong ...hold your hands up.
    if you have any pprinciples then show them.
    i yththoroughly enjoyed my time there ...very emotional ...
    you obviously need it ...you can handle it ...you will thrive yes!
  • Options
    no i didn't cos i got the response from john the hippie that i was looking for, which was that he hadn't heard any negative feedback, that's good enough for me
    Don't get me wrong here i am gonna miss my drugs like nothing else - BIG time, but there has come a point in my life where i know i have to say goodbye - sad but true, keep enjoying yours though while you can, i have no intentions of becoming an up my own arse preacher when i get out, this is just something that i have to do for me
  • Options
    I haven't heard of that particular rehab, but I teach in a rehab in south west London so I know a little about it. If you feel ready for it, go for it. It will be tough going but also very rewarding. Be prepared to put the work in.
    Good luck. :)
  • Options
    cheers morrocan & Nash - I figured this was as good a place as any to get some sound advice too and i'm going to rehab for me, no other reason, i'm 36, i've had a damn good innings over the years and it's time to move on to pastures new, no one can keep going forever, so while i've still got some sanity intact it's a good time to do it and i'm looking forward to it - but yeah i won't take any shit, i will have my say and voice my opinions and make sure i get out of it what i want to get out of it - if that makes any sense! And if i get bored in straightsville, well i can still stick my head round the door again from time to time if i want can't i, perhaps i never will, but it's knowing that i could if i wanted to that will get me through - it's called delay tactics and some people can delay their using for 20 years or more - whatever works innit!
  • Options
    domiow wrote:
    cheers morrocan & Nash - I figured this was as good a place as any to get some sound advice too and i'm going to rehab for me, no other reason, i'm 36, i've had a damn good innings over the years and it's time to move on to pastures new, no one can keep going forever, so while i've still got some sanity intact it's a good time to do it and i'm looking forward to it - but yeah i won't take any shit, i will have my say and voice my opinions and make sure i get out of it what i want to get out of it - if that makes any sense! And if i get bored in straightsville, well i can still stick my head round the door again from time to time if i want can't i, perhaps i never will, but it's knowing that i could if i wanted to that will get me through - it's called delay tactics and some people can delay their using for 20 years or more - whatever works innit!
    love and peace brother.
    peace being something that addicts have often lost touch with.
    please stay in touch.
  • Options
    love and peace brother.
    peace being something that addicts have often lost touch with.
    please stay in touch.
    Thank you and yes it will be nice to regain some inner peace once again - i have a blog actually that i started beginning of the year when i knew i was skidding out of control, if you're interested (or bored one day!) www.20six.co.uk/islandgirl - yep, im a sister, not a brother x
  • Options
    Never heard of that rehab but good luck with it all.
  • Options
    Hi

Sorry, i'm based here in london, and things are sometimes different with regards to funding etc etc so sometimes they're detox'd first, and may stay shorter or longer.

If you want req further or additional info, then i'll be happy to reply tommorow (Thursday ) if you send me a Private Message.

If not, good luck and all the best!!!
  • Options
    SOPH1A err domiow i think u joined the wrong board mate

you are a moron :yes: there are many people who have first hand experience with both treatment and addiction here.

I havent got anything helpful to say Dominow, except take care and good luck.
    :yes: :thumb:
  • Options
    Hey numbnuts, que pasa?

Ok then tell me what time your here on next?

Hey,, it's nice to shoot your mouth off over a computer isn't it big guy eh?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    John the hippie, I'm not sure who you are talking to, but I don't see that it requires dignifying with a response.
  • Options
    hey guys no falling out! i think the 'moron' comment was directed at SOPH1A not me... i'm not bothered anyway, each to their own, perhaps on some forums maybe i would have been on the wrong board, but i got the info i wanted here AND some really great postive comments too which was a bonus and really appreciated so thank you all
  • Options
    just to clarify, my 'moron' comment was aimed at SOPH1A for the ridiculous belittling comment made in response to this thread

...and im not quite sure how else it could be interpreted, giving that ive already expressed support for dominow:)

john; ive replied to your Pm to this effect as well;)

apologies for the confusion; back on topic
  • Options
    just to clarify, my 'moron' comment was aimed at SOPH1A for the ridiculous belittling comment made in response to this thread

...and im not quite sure how else it could be interpreted, giving that ive already expressed support for dominow:)

john; ive replied to your Pm to this effect as well;)

apologies for the confusion; back on topic

yea thanks a lot.

Im not saying in my "ridiculous belittling" post that everyone here cant be supportive, but that most of the posts here aren't about not using drugs, there about using drugs. A lot of people here are happy with their use/addictions which might put someone whose trying to quit off... i dont know ive never been in her situation.

Dont be so quick to judge.

Good luck Domiow!
  • Options
    ok so you probably arent a moron :no:

however i standby the fact that this was a moronic comment to make because

-It dissuades the user from entering into a discussion which they are perfectly entitled to

-This thread is not about NOT using drugs, its about an individuals attempts to explore and confront their own use in a manner which they feel comfortable and should be free to discuss (within reason) as they wish, this also leads onto the idea of...

-Just because alot of people talk about using drugs does not mean that this should be restricted to the actual absorbtion of a given substance. Drug use has the abilityn to permeate every area of life for those who are involved in it. A massive mistake is simply to focus on use and ignore all else.

- Yes SOME people may be happy with their 'drug' (and remember this is an umbrella term used to encompass all manner of substance abuse with wildly differing personal and substance specific variables) use, but others are not. All matters of discourse in this area are the dominion of this board.

I do not wish to come off as being overly critical, you have obviously considered your response, i am simply now putting a contrary view. There is NOTHING in the board rules which supports any of your claims about the nature of this board, this post simply clashes with YOUR idea of what discourse should consist of on this board.
  • Options
    domiow wrote:
    im a sister, not a brother x
    oooops!
    can't remember now but i'm sure my pm's have been coming across as bloke to bloke ...
    sorry about that.
    love and peas ...sister.
  • Options
    Hi Dom

i made a mistake in the explaining the detox, i should have clairifyed it more. They drop you 5 physeptone every 2nd day so its a 4 week detox.

regards, john
  • Options
    my dad used to work there. Bit odd inside. nice countryside around it. but it's in the middle of no where. i've not heard good report of it, but this was 6 or 7 years ago so it could ahve changed.
  • Options
    my dad used to work there. Bit odd inside. nice countryside around it. but it's in the middle of no where. i've not heard good report of it, but this was 6 or 7 years ago so it could ahve changed.

That sounds pretty much on a par with what i have heard about it too, which was why i was looking to see if anyone else had an opinion, whether the same or otherwise.. I spoke with 3 people, one of which was a counsellor, and not one of them really had anything that positive to say about it, which has made me a little anxious, one person even said that while he was there drug dealing was taking place.... At the end of the day i'm going there to get clean, not make new friends, so it's down to me to get out of it what i want and leave a better person than i am today, people come and people go, so if there is perhaps a bad element in there one week, it's not to say they will be there the next is it, i just hope that it is a 'clean' environment when i go, as i want to feel safe while i'm detoxing, not have temptation under my nose, otherwise i might just as well stay here and struggle on by myself - Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated :thumb:
  • Options
    and please remember ...this place is for advice as well as points of view.
    if someone has lost control ...heaven forbid we in here would belittle them.
    i wouldn't be in a position to do that now would i ...
    good crowd in here ...
  • Options
    Most in here know what the craic is, in general.
  • Options
    Barley Wood & others

Hi there.
    I am looking for a free/NHS detox centre for my step-brother to get off H. I was watching a programme on rehab and a guy there had been to Barley Wood and said it was excellent and saved his life, so I put it into a google search and landed here.

Does anyone know of any others - preferably in London - that aren't going to ask for like £40,000!! Our family have no money to help my brother, but he's gonna die pretty soon if we don't get him into somewhere.
  • Options
    Go to his GP and beg basically, they are available on the NHS but the lists are long.

Contacting Release (www.release.org.uk) will help too, they will tell you where he might be able to get a space and will help to get him in there.
This discussion has been closed.