Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Where's the spirit?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is it me or is football really losing it's passion these days, where's the local rivalry and spirit, i bet those spanish and italian footballers havne't got a clue what a merseyside derby really means to the fans, same goes to other matches, its not a localised sport these days, look at chelsea, i'm sure you could make kidderminster harriers the champions league winners if you were a multi millionaire with a few years on your hands to build a team, and also, these days footballers will fall to the ground even at the slightest nudge, it's supposed to be a rough game, these pussies disrupt the flow of the game, i'm sure there's been a thread on this before but it angers me, where has the spirit in football gone? i dont know.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    That's the exact reason I much prefer domestic games to European games.

It's derby day in Dundee this weekend, and everywhere I've been this week (pubs, shopping, work) everybody's been talking about it.

It doesn't matter that it's not a title decider, whichever team loses is going to have a massive job trying to stay up. That's fucking big news here.

Whilst I'd love my team to be in the Champions League year on year, I think an Abramovich style takeover would be the worst thing that could happen, because it takes away from what football is all about.
  • Options
    The going to ground easily really does my head in, I get wound up watching some games with all the play acting, I'm just sat there thinking "get up you fanny, he's hardly touched you".
    I do think though that the players get told and realise what big games local derbys are. No matter how many foreigners are in the side they still seems to be that extra bit of fight about them when up in a local derby because they know how much it means to the fans.
  • Options
    The lower divisions still have some of that spirit, its not all gone. Know what you mean though.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    There's plenty of passion left in the game - check out the SaintsVSkates match tomorrow. Biggest game of the season.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    There's plenty of passion left in the game - check out the SaintsVSkates match tomorrow. Biggest game of the season.

yes for u, the fans but will the players know that, i don't know maybe they do, i'm too fucked, [paul van dyke for an angel, yo lets trance out man, kool dudes and all.
  • Options
    Diving pisses me off too, see Diouf against.. was it Portsmouth in the last minutes? Bad refereeing too. I think it's blatant when someone's diving since they roll about 50 times before they get up. If you were really fouled you'd just fall to the ground in a thud, or slide along... no rolling. Gah. I know I try to stay up.
  • Options
    I'm from Liverpool & so support Liverpool (Have done all my life). My boyfriend is from the Wirral, so supports Tranmere Rovers.

I've actually been to more Tranmere games than Liverpool, purely because I find being at their ground and watching them a lot more enjoyable than watching Liverpool. Even going the park and watching Sunday League teams gets a higher rating in my book than watching Premiership matches.

Diving really irks me off, especially when nothing gets done about it.
  • Options
    Here are your culprits:

skylogo.gif

masthead.jpg

money_bag_200.jpg

Everything's gone pearshaped since the above came along
  • Options
    agree but thats whats necassary unfortunately for our top clubs to compete with the top clubs around europe.

I dont like all the money in the game but would rather have it to be able to watch the Henry's,Zolas, Bergkamps etc every week than not.

P.S Im a lower league fan as well ;)
  • Options
    No spirit in top matches? I take it nobody watched the Arsenal vs United game last night. Passion, pride and determination especially from the United players. Such a stirring come back in the face of underhand and dirty tactics from the Gooners. That match speaks volumes for what the premiership is about. Chelsea will go on to be champions but they can only dream of being involved in a match as intense and entertaining as that.
  • Options
    Im sure chelsea would prefer to win the title than be in intense games. Pesonally i find chelsea entertaining, they have the 2 most entertaining players in the league - robben and duff.
  • Options
    They entertain while also being a little boring. Anything Robben and Duff can do for entertainment Giggs and Ronaldo can match if not entertain more. Chelsea obviously would want the championship but last night's match is what football is all about. Its what makes being a football fan worthwhile. Chelsea big money players are there to win, mostly for themselves and their own careers. They havent come up through Chelsea's ranks. The club at the end of the day just employ them, that's as far as it goes with most of their squad, maybe Lampard and Terry aside.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    No spirit in top matches? I take it nobody watched the Arsenal vs United game last night. Passion, pride and determination especially from the United players. Such a stirring come back in the face of underhand and dirty tactics from the Gooners. That match speaks volumes for what the premiership is about. Chelsea will go on to be champions but they can only dream of being involved in a match as intense and entertaining as that.
    I on the other hand saw it as a clash of two hate-consumed sides managed by hate-consumed bosses who despise each other's guts. I have seen many things happen in football but never players fighting even before they got onto the pitch. Followed by blatant diving, dirty fouls or crowd taunting by fools who should know better.
  • Options
    Yea, you are right. There is alot of hatred between the clubs. But its still a passionate affair all the same. You could say too much passion.
  • Options
    And the passion is a good thing- but sadly there is not enough of it in the Premiership.

Some things should be done straight away IMO- for instance a return to full 3:00 pm Saturday fixtures. I read a couple of months ago that some clubs had only played 1 or 2 of their opening 8 games at 3:00 pm on a Saturday. TV companies and TV rights are basically running the game now.