Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

holidaying in ireland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
hi all
firstly, im sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i wasnt sure where to put it (maybe travel, but i wasnt sure?)
What id like to know is has anybody here been to, or lived, in dublin??
Im thinking of going with my b.f next year sometime for a long weekend/a week to celebrate both of our 21st bdays!
Im on the visit dublin tourism website at the mo, but if any of you have your own views they'd really help, they're gonna be so much better than some website! Some of the things im looking for are:
Whats it like as a city?
How big is it?? (say, as big as manchester, or smaller, or what??)
Nightlife any good (safe, cheap, close to hotels, etc)
Costs of travelling from liverpool (its holly head i think) to dublin, via ferry???
Would it be worth taking a car aswell, or is there enough to do in the city itself!
Ive always wanted to go to ireland, but no one i know has been,. so pls help!
Thanx
SBG
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Travel, definatly travel.
  • Options
    ok, sorry. il move it now, if ican figure out how - ive never had to do it b4.
    Feel free to move this for me anyone who knows how!
    SBG
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It's travel.

We have some Irish members, who I'm sure will help.

I do have one piece of advise though, watch for Leprechauns.
  • Options
    how do i move this thread then??
    SBG
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    how do i move this thread then??
    SBG
    Leave a mod to do it :p
  • Options
    Hello :wave: I'll help ya and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Whats it like as a city? It is a very small city, very easy to get around everything on foot once you're not stupid and wear stillys. All the clubs, pubs and shops worth seeing are in the city centre. And most of the tourist attractions are too - if you want to go to the mountains or some random country attraction, there are piles of tours.

How big is it?? (say, as big as manchester, or smaller, or what??) I don't know how big Manchester is, but I'd say, if you're coming here, you'll be staying in the city centre and not venturing out to the 'burbs, which are huge. But the centre itself is small enough. I can only compare it to one city and that's Glasgow. Simply because Birmingham and London are huge, and I don't know anymore. :)

Nightlife any good (safe, cheap, close to hotels, etc) Nightlife is very good, apart from Janaury. It's shit right now, heh. But there are always clubs open. Lots of pubs if you just want a quiet drink and millions (I'm exaggerating) of club nights. It's not cheap. That's one thing Dublin isn't. There aren't many drinnk promotions like there are in the UK - we don't have chain pubs like Weatherspoons or whatnot so everywhere prices differently. You will need money if you're coming here. There are a lot of hotels in the city centre that are quite reasonable, and you'd be grand walking home from them. Dublin is safe, if you're not stupid and walk down an alley on your own. At nighttime, the Gardaí patrol the main streets. Just don't go looking for trouble and you'll be fine, :p.

Costs of travelling from liverpool (its holly head i think) to dublin, via ferry??? I don't know. Heh. Figure check the Irish Ferries site or whatever the English ferries are. You can get cheap enough flights on Ryanair too and it flies to the main airport in Dublin. Since we only have 1. Lol.

Would it be worth taking a car aswell, or is there enough to do in the city itself! If you have a car, I'd recommend bringing it. There's lots of places at most an hours drive from the city that are fabulous. Powerscourt Waterfall in Wicklow is beautiful. I'd love a car. :( But the public transport system is alright. Lots of buses, there's a pretty good train service and we just got new trams ;o

Some sites that'd be good to check out would be Entertainment Ireland (good for club nights) and Dublin Tourism (seems to be pretty comprehensive about sights).

When you thinking of coming over?
  • Options
    Don't go near that shithole tallaght, only gypsys live there eh eefs :p
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Don't go near that shithole tallaght, only gypsys live there eh eefs :p
    Aaaaah fuck off ya Northie eejit :p
  • Options
    Is that the REALLY rough estate on the north side? My uncle took me on a detour of it one time when we drove to Dublin. It's... lovely.
  • Options
    eefs wrote:
    Aaaaah fuck off ya Northie eejit :p

ah typical dub, fuck aff will ye :p
  • Options
    Is that the REALLY rough estate on the north side? My uncle took me on a detour of it one time when we drove to Dublin. It's... lovely.

yes and eefs lives there... i think i remember her saying that once.
  • Options
    Scuse me I'm a Southsider. Dooon't call me a Northsider. But it's the really rough area on the southside, if you drove through that. :p
    ah typical dub, fuck aff will ye

Ye're just jealous, I live in this beeeuuutiful city.
  • Options
    eefs wrote:
    Ye're just jealous, I live in this beeeuuutiful city.

and you're even more jealous of newry which has so much to offer.......... :chin:
  • Options
    eefs - thank you so much for your information. its really helped! your a lifesaver!! :D
    we're thinking of going in the 1st or second week in september, for about 5 days to a week! rayan air said it would cost about £35 each, which is good i spose. il have to look into the ferry prices, cos i would like to bring a car to see all those pretty places in the day+go out in the night!
    another questions (if u dont mind) - are there many youth hostels there? cos ive heard they are cheap!
    spose if the flights £35 and then petrol, i really want somewhere cheap to stay, prob about £25 a night, or am i wishful thinking?? lol!
    thanx again!
    SBG
  • Options
    There's a lot of youth hostels on a street really near Connelly station (I think it's Lower Gardiner St). They're generally pretty good. I stayed in one a few years ago for 20euro which, considering it's dirty dublin, is a pretty good price. I can't actually remember the name but I'll get back to you if I do.
  • Options
    There's a lot of youth hostels on a street really near Connelly station (I think it's Lower Gardiner St). They're generally pretty good. I stayed in one a few years ago for 20euro which, considering it's dirty dublin, is a pretty good price. I can't actually remember the name but I'll get back to you if I do.

yeah, that's great thanx!
    i got this map off the dublin website, is it any good at all??
    Map 1:
    majorroutes.gif
    reckon the pubs, clubs+hotals should be marked on it tho.
    SBG
  • Options
    i stayed in the 5 star radison for a weekend, damn it was good but expenasive, there's loads of places to stay, it's just like any other city tbh.
  • Options
    the map looks alright, as eefs says, the city centre is small, you'll find your way around no bother, just don't drift away into the suburbs, i did that on the national cannabis day march and ended up losing myself.
  • Options
    thanx turlough. looking at the map, im thinking the centre with the clubs, etc is near those 3 exclamation points on the map?? Which is so close to the ferry place!!
    SBG
  • Options
    thanx turlough. looking at the map, im thinking the centre with the clubs, etc is near those 3 exclamation points on the map?? Which is so close to the ferry place!!
    SBG

i think thats the temple bar district, you're bound to have heard of it, it's like an 18th centre area with cobbled roads, really irish looking and there's like 10 pubs all in close proximity, great wee city, people are friendly aswell generally.
  • Options
    ive heard of it yes, sounds nice! where bouts are most of the clubs on the map - if you can describe where!
    Im sure the people wont be friendly towards us if my b.f keeps saying "ay, its sheamus!" in a stupid irish (or meant to be irish) acent!! lol
    SBG
  • Options
    ive heard of it yes, sounds nice! where bouts are most of the clubs on the map - if you can describe where!
    Im sure the people wont be friendly towards us if my b.f keeps saying "ay, its sheamus!" in a stupid irish (or meant to be irish) acent!! lol
    SBG

haha, trust me, they hate us northerners as much as you english but they'll not give you any hassle unless you really take the piss, eh i've only ever been to dublin at night twice and i'm not sure exactly where the niteclubs are but if you just walk along the streets you'll see big crowds lining up on the streets, they're not secluded or anything, i'm sure eefs will give you the names of the good clubs, there are loads
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    haha, trust me, they hate us northerners as much as you english but they'll not give you any hassle unless you really take the piss, eh i've only ever been to dublin at night twice and i'm not sure exactly where the niteclubs are but if you just walk along the streets you'll see big crowds lining up on the streets, they're not secluded or anything, i'm sure eefs will give you the names of the good clubs, there are loads

We do indeed. Specially, the northeners :p. Nah, SBG, you'll be grand. Temple Bar is full of tourists, and unless you go looking for trouble, as I said before, you won't get any.

Where you found those hostels, Gardiner St, it's a slightly dodgy area. It's where a lot of unsavoury types hang around. I'm sure the hostels are fine but you'd prolly wanna get a taxi back - would only cost about €5 from the centre of town, if even.

There's a hostel on Aungier St, Avalon House , that I've heard really good things about. And it's just down the road from a lot of good clubs.

There's some good rock/alternative pubs and clubs on Camden st and Wexford St, which are about 5-10 minutes walk away from that hostel. If you're looking for poppy clubs take note: Bobs, The Turks Head, Boomerangs and Fitzsimons in Temple Bar, there's all these bars , which are mainly all in the city centre. I recommend most of them - Zanzibar is good for pop music too, as is Break for the Border. SoSuMe has cheap cocktails during the week. The George is a gay bar. :p

Coyote is shite, don't go there. And I don't know Cafe En Seine but I've heard good things about it. Spirit on Abbey St is expensive but good if you're really going all out for a good clubbing night.

A complete aside but you can see where I live on the map!!

Anything else SBG? :)
  • Options
    aww, thank you so much! you've pretty much persuaded me to go there! your a star, thank you so much! nothing i need to know at the moment, but can i pm you nearer the time if i need to know anything???
    SBG
  • Options
    Yeah, no problem. Fire away. :)
  • Options
    Dublin yay!