Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Electricians - twisting conductors together

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any electricians out there?

When wiring up a cooker conection panel, with the two sets of 6mm T&E cable going in to the junction box, would you twist the two sets of conductors together before screwing them under the clasps in the box?

Some places seem to say that they do twist conductors together, and others say that they don't. Personally I can't fit the wires in the box at all if they are twisted together, they simply wont fit.

Not expecting many people to have a definitive answer here tbh.

Comments

• Options
    Dont know totally what you mean but if you are putting 2 lives, 2 neutrals or 2 earths together into one pin it doesnt matter about twisting together either way as long as you get them both in there and check that they are both secure.
    After tightening screw down give a little pull on each wire to check that they are well and truly secure.
    Afterwards double check all screws for tightness.

I have just typed what hubby told me too.......hope it helps.
  • Options
    Beckyboo's husband is right and stuff :yes:
  • Options
    aye, miss boo's hubby seems to know what he's doing :yes:

so long as your not connecting live with earth, or neutral etc, there's not much that can go wrong ;)
  • Options
    it's not often i find it difficult to reply to anything at all in this place but ...this could be very dodgy and even damgerous ...not that that has stopped me before but ...
    ask someone who knows what they are actualy ...LOOKING AT.
  • Options
    If you're twisting together the SAME type of cable, then it's not damaging, both live, both neutral and both earth.
  • Options
    Does that mean you get to use it today? :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Tweety wrote:
    Does that mean you get to use it today? :D

We have been able to use the hob as the gas man came the other day to install it. It is just the oven that is left.

It hasn't been as easy as we wanted it to be as the people that were hear before had fucked up all their electrics. It has meant that the job is 10 times harder than it should've been. Oh well.
  • Options
    We have been able to use the hob as the gas man came the other day to install it. It is just the oven that is left.

It hasn't been as easy as we wanted it to be as the people that were hear before had fucked up all their electrics. It has meant that the job is 10 times harder than it should've been. Oh well.

No roasts for you then.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Tweety wrote:
    No roasts for you then.

Not yet, no. Hopefully by Monday! We aren't going to do very much today as we are going to Dave's parents. Finally.
  • Options
    Not yet, no. Hopefully by Monday! We aren't going to do very much today as we are going to Dave's parents. Finally.

yay, when you going & coming back?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    yay, when you going & coming back?

Today! :D
  • Options
    J wrote:
    If anyone would like to borrow: BS 7671 : 1992 - Requirements for electrical installations - IEE wiring regulations Sixteenth edition (Including ammendment 8536 - Why am I so sad) please ask. Thank you come again. :thumb:

why on earth do you own that..?

are you an electrician/electrical engineer...? :)
  • Options
    How funky. I shall see. I may have to apply insulating tape to make sure that there's not too much bare wire after the terminal block.
  • Options
    Okay I will investigate. It's screw down terminals rather than the push in types for sockets.