Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Going into hospital - what to take?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, it turns out that i'm that seriously ill i have to go and stay in hospital for a while, but this is the first time ive had to go in and stay in hospital so i have no idea what to expect.

what should i take? what should i take to stop me going insanely bored?

any advice is welcomed on this matter!

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Books, tapes, and books on tape if you can.

If you're sick a good book on tape is ideal, no effort but it will pass the time.

Your local libray will probably loan tapes out, and they will be cheap too.
  • Options
    Hope you get better soon on the subject.
  • Options
    ask for a room with a tv. you don't even have to move, and it's amazing how interesting daytime tv gets when it's a choice between that and listening to a multitude of wailing people.

books, slippers, squash (water gets old v. quickly), your own clothes if you're allowed...
  • Options
    thanks a lot people!
  • Options
    Yup, take tunes. Can you not take a Latoptop in?

Oh, and a sign that says, "Sorry, no Grapes. Next".
  • Options
    you know i was thinking about taking my laptop in but i thought it would of been a silly idea
  • Options
    puzzle books for when you are bored of everything else & maybe even paper to write letters?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Amuse yourself by chatting up the nurses.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If you take anything with electrical that needs plugging in they are usually funny about it, and you will need to have it safety tested before you can use it. I've spent way too much time in hospitals in the past, I feel for you.
  • Options
    Right..

Cd player and Gameboy advance, your be on adult ward so they wont have playstations or shit, haha,

You MIGHT be able to take a laptop in, if it isn't wireless net, that would fuck intruments up (most probably im guessing if mobile phones do)

Take food, the food in hospitals are norm crap, i use to take bread and butter for toast with my choice of topping, they will have a fridge there you should be able to use, losts of junk food is good, snacks and stuff as there food isn't filling,

Other than that just clothes, and lots of cd's for your cd player
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    puzzle books for when you are bored of everything else & maybe even paper to write letters?

Its slightly tragic when writing on paper is seen as a last resort.
  • Options
    relentless wrote:
    If you take anything with electrical that needs plugging in they are usually funny about it, and you will need to have it safety tested before you can use it. I've spent way too much time in hospitals in the past, I feel for you.
    when i took my GBA in with the AC adaptor they never moaned about that
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its slightly tragic when writing on paper is seen as a last resort.
    crosswords and puzzle books are always fun :)
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    You MIGHT be able to take a laptop in, if it isn't wireless net, that would fuck intruments up (most probably im guessing if mobile phones do)

I've had it on good authority that the whole mobile thing is a myth, they just dont want them in the hospitals thats all.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I've had it on good authority that the whole mobile thing is a myth, they just dont want them in the hospitals thats all.

i don't blame them. if you're feeling like shite anyway, the last thing you need is a million ringtones going off every five seconds.

but yeah, i heard the same about it being a myth. they let you have them on in the hospice my family members were in, as long as they're on silent. obviously in a hospice it's more important to keep in contact with people and so on.
  • Options
    well you shouldn't have a problem with your laptop anyway..
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yup. When my friends were in hospital they were still texting me lots, even in front of the nurses.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i don't blame them. if you're feeling like shite anyway, the last thing you need is a million ringtones going off every five seconds.

I could imagine some of those poxy ring tones sending me over the edge I think.

But then I'm very much in favour of banning those 'novelty' ring tones completely.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    when i took my GBA in with the AC adaptor they never moaned about that

No they're very funny about it, if it's a dodgy plug or something and the hospital goes up in flames they're fucked. Everytime I've been in I've had them checked, and I've been in hospital an awful lot.
  • Options
    jake, it's probably a good idea to ring the hospital and ask them what you're allowed to take in, electronics-wise. different places will have different rules.

oh, and get well soon.
  • Options
    They all have the same rules, its just whether some of them abide by them or not.

Portable electronics like that come under legislation and have to be tested.
  • Options
    umm i've never been to hospital but I imagine that some or all of the following might be useful:

Pens
    Paper
    Foood
    Marmite
    money - when my nan was in hospital - you had to hire a TV from the hosptial if you wanted to watch it.
    Clothes that you can wear in bed.
    and lots of boooks

Oh and I really hope you get better soooooooon
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Marmite

You're kidding right? :p
  • Options
    no he loves marmite
  • Options
    Oh OK, fair enough :)
  • Options
    So if it's actually OK to use mobiles in hospitals then how come doctors use pagers? Wouldn't it be better for them to use mobiles?
  • Options
    No, because Doctor might not be able to pick up their phone if they're in with a patient, so you'd only have to leave a message anyway.
  • Options
    Yeh but if the doctor had to reply to the message then instead of pissing around with a land line he could just use his mobile there and then.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

That is good authority. Evidence has shown that you would have to be using the "wrong" type of phone (only about 5% of all mobiles then) and be within about 1m of the piece of equipment for it to possibly have any impact.

Anyway things to take in...

If something need to be plugged in then you need to check with the ward. Such products expose the hospital to risk of electrical fire and so they will have to be tested, and there may not be any plugs available.

Many hospitals are now having TVs installed by each bed, with headphones so that you don't annoy the person next to you, however these are susbscription operated and can be v. expensive. Usually though radio is free.

Take books, always always take books.

Other than that ask family to bring games in to play with you when they visit, something different each time just to make a change.

Ask if you can leave the ward for a walk, if possible, exercise alone will do you good, but the change of surroundings will do you better.

Beware chatting up nurses, they've heard it all before and you don't want to know what they do to "pest" patients.

Most of all, good luck, take no shit, make sure everyone washes their hands before touching you or your bed...
  • Options
    Internal phone networks don't cost as much as mobile.