Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Music Technology

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey, i currently do an AS in Music Technology and am seriously contemplating taking it further. But im struggling to find uni's that do a Music Tech degree?

If someone knows of a Uni that does a MT degree, please post it here so i can get a prospectus
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Take a look at UCAS.com - they have a list of all courses at all uni's.

You can type in exactly what you're looking for, or choose a subject from a list it gives you. It'll then give you the names of the courses, and the uni's that do them.

Ilora x
    Okay, enough with the sniping. Thread closed.
    www.rcm.ac.uk

Your best bet is to ask the people on the forums at www.futuremusic.co.uk
    Huddersfield do a degree in music technology, a lot of my friends are on the corse.

if you need any info pm me and i will ask them and see if they can help you out
    I've been looking at Huddersfield... Its all so confusing! Accom. prices, whether you get bills included in that price... GAH!
    basically 2 halls that 1st years are told about in the prospectus. these being storthes hall and ashenhurst (click)

storthes is great 1400 people all in the student village with a bar football pitch gym laundret ect but its quite a way out (about 25 min on a free bus) i lived there and i loved it

ashenhurst is a lot smaller and looks well old. is quite nice and within walkig distance but will still takeyou about 20 min. you dont have your own bathroom there but i cant tell you much more.]

in both all bills are included in your rent at both sites (apart from phones)

there are quite a few new halls popping up around huddersfield. snow island and firth point are the two that have been there a couple of years. i know a couple of people that live in snow island and they like it as it is literally across the road from uni and a 5 min walk through uni to the shopping center / clubs ect

both of these are all bills included in your rent

there are some new halls in huddersfield called aspley hall . although i havnt been there myself i have heard a lot about them and my advice would be to steer well clear. the news paper have run articles on how crap they are, the SU are investigating them as are the uni (dont be fooled by the pic's of the pool its that small they only let 6 people in at a time). they have 20 parking spaces between over 100 people. well basically from what i have heard its a shambles.

there are loads of private rent places available in huddersfield also that you could find from searching student accomodation on yahoo but i would strongly advise that you live in halls in the first year as it really is a learning experience in both good and bad ways and everyone will be in the same boat so you are more or less garanteed to make friends.

as far as i know there is no catered accomodation in huddersfield.

if you want any more info pm me and i will be pleased to help.

hope that helped you

mel-h
    My word of advice for when it comes to living in Huddersfield is simply go straight for the private housing market. In my three years at the university, I've stayed at Storthes Hall, Firth Point and at present, Aspley Hall. Unfortunately, all three fall rather short of the mark.

Storthes Hall

This is a great option as a first year, as you'll almost certainly be sharing with people in the same boat as you, and overall the site is mainly made up of first year students. The standard of accommodation isn't bad, but it's a little lacking compared to the newer halls near the university.

The biggest annoyance with Storthes however is the distance you are from town. It is at least a 20 minute bus journey, and at 9 in the morning and between 3 and 5 in the evening, it's more likely to be 30 minutes on an absolutely packed bus. Taxi bills add up too, with minicabs a fiver and taxi's anything up to £13. Despite what the website claims, there is also very little to do up there and if you want to get into town, you're going to have to make that trip which really does get annoying!

Firth Point

In terms of the accommodation offered, this is probably the best hall I've stayed in. The rooms are decent and the kitchens well equipped. However, Unite (the property owners) are quite simply the biggest bunch of dishonest so and so's you're ever likely to encounter.

Perhaps I should be careful with what I say, as they actually got the student union message board closed down over comments posted there about their properties and staff. However, basically they're out for your cash. No one leaves either Firth Point or Snow Island with their deposit intact, they'll deduct for absolutely anything. This company genuinly train their maintenance staff to make all technical defects appear as student damage and they charge accordingly, often above the going rate. The staff are rude, reception is only open for an hour each day and the company is absolutely impossible to deal with if you have a problem.

IT TOOK ME THREE MONTHS TO GET MY DEPOSIT BACK FROM UNITE AFTER STAYING AT FIRTH POINT! This is despite their claim that they will refund it within 28 days, even when theyd did refund it, they made a mistake!

Aspley Hall

Well, I think the student newspaper said it all with its 'Halls from Hell' headline! Aspley Hall (both sites, there are two on the same road) is quite simply an armpit. The staff are rude and generally don't care about their tenants, the building has been put up to an incredibly low standard, repairs can take weeks to be carried out, the Sky TV promised is actually only three channels (Sky Movies, Sky Sports News and Sky Sports 3), the common rooms don't exist and the communal areas are hardly ever cleaned and get very dirty. I gather Little Aspley Hall have it worse than we do, but even up here, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

As Mel-H says also, do not be fooled by the photos on their website of the gym. Who knows where those photos are from, but they certainly aren't at Aspley! The actual facilities aren't bad at all, and they're only used by a tiny number of people, but the gym and pool really are very small indeed.

I know it's not useful advice at all, but I really cannot recommend any of the halls in Huddersfield. If I were forced to choose one, it'd be Storthes, simply because the place isn't falling apart (yet) and I never had any trouble when I was up there.

You could also try www.urbanacademic.co.uk, they have a few rooms around the town with all bills included.
    dont let the above comments put you off, as said storthes is lovely, and most people move into houses that are privatley rented in theire second year anyway, huddersfield is a lovely town.
    dont let the above comments put ypou off

No, do let them put you off. :)

Like I said though, Storthes is the lesser of so many evils when it comes to Huddersfield halls. Definitely a better choice than the halls closer to the uni.
    I'm doing a C&G sound engineering course atm. it's really good and looks and lots of different aspects of studio recording, ie the actual recording, the computer side of it, the studio psycology....it's really good. i'm taking it as a distance learning course, but i think some colleges offer it. i'm doing part3 level 4 which i think is diploma level (somone correct me if i'm wrong because i'm not all that sure), but if thats the side you want to go then it's a good course. 1820 is the code if you want to search it on C&G website.