Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

how to curl hair with ghds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi i know this question might sound really idiotic but can anyone explain to me, in simpleton terms, how to curl/wave your hair with ghd hair straighteners?there's a guide on the ghd website but what can i say, i didn't get their instructions. :confused:
thanks

Comments

• Options
    Yeah i would like to know too because the straighteners i have now and my previous pair have both said 'straight or curl' i know it has something to do with the edges of the plates and what not but thats about it.
  • Options
    clamp a bit of hair either at the top or the bottom and wind hair around the barrel or the barrel around your hair whichever.

simple.
  • Options
    clamp a bit of hair either at the top or the bottom and wind hair around the barrel or the barrel around your hair whichever.

simple.
    does it not burn your hair clamping it long enough to get a curl??
  • Options
    I curl my hair with my GHDs occassionally and what I do is, get my hair into little sections and clamp the hair at the root and pull the straightners down the piece of hair quite tightly (sometimes it can hurt abit) but you get a real good curl which stays in. Sounds abit odd but with abit of practice you'll be great
  • Options
    you put a small section of hair in the irons, twist it and then pull it down the legnth of the hair

like this
  • Options
    Yeah ive been trying to figure this out for a while, ive tried a few different ways like starting clamping the bottom of a length of hair and then twisting the hair around the straightners but that way was difficult and i burnt my hand that way!

but my friend who works in a hair dressers tryed out the way they do at work on me, by starting at the root and twisting while pulling it through the straightners which gave a really good curl, that also stayed.
    for waves she kind of twisted the hair jus half way from root to the middle but with the straightners facing directly upwards so it gave a wave effect.
  • Options
    does it not burn your hair clamping it long enough to get a curl??

no not at all, i hold mine for about 5-10 seconds.

you can use them pretty much like an ordinary curling thing.
  • Options
    Either take a section of hair (not necessarily a small piece, you can always seperate larger sections with your fingers afterwards) and starting at the top, turn the straighteners as you pull down on your hair, so in effect your wrapping your hair around the straightners, but moving them downwards at the same time. Or, take a section of hair, clamp the straighteners at the top of the section, turn them to a 90 degree angle and just slide the straighteners down as normal. Both ways work better than just wrapping the hair up to the top of your head and holding, because you tend to get odd shaped curls. Not sure if thats much help, 'cause it probably didn't make any sense :/
  • Options
    I got my gf some of these for x-mas (the pink ones) and theres actually a little book thing in there that shows you how to do all these different styles...
  • Options
    :(

I had my hair curled with GHDs at a salon, where I had some portfolio pics done with my boyfriend. It's naturally very curly, but she just made them more defined and well behaved. Now, this morning, after reading everyone's advice here, I tried it, and I just managed to straighten it! Grrrrr!!!!! Mine aren't GHDs - but Hairtools, which i have always found to be very effective at straightening, but maybe I need GHds to do the curling. Has anyone else used different ones to curl? It just didn't bloody do anything apart from straighten!!! Help me!
  • Options
    HollyOrm wrote:
    I had my hair curled with GHDs at a salon, where I had some portfolio pics done with my boyfriend. It's naturally very curly, but she just made them more defined and well behaved. Now, this morning, after reading everyone's advice here, I tried it, and I just managed to straighten it! Grrrrr!!!!! Mine aren't GHDs - but Hairtools, which i have always found to be very effective at straightening, but maybe I need GHds to do the curling. Has anyone else used different ones to curl? It just didn't bloody do anything apart from straighten!!! Help me!

i use remington cernamic ones to curl..they cost me £20 so no, you dont have to use GHD's its about the technique
  • Options
    phew

I guess that's reassuring, although I might never learn how to do it. How do you do yours? It just seems to straighten mine. Is it about the angle?
    xx
  • Options
    Im crap at exaplaining this but its what my friend told me and it does work: get a small section of your hair and wrap it (wind it) round your finger or a pencil or something, then slide it off so your left holding like a flatish circle of your hair. Clamp the flattish circle of hair between the straighteners and leave it there for a while- not too long but it does need to be a while to work.. unclamp the straighteners and youll have a wave/curl. probably more of a wave but it looks good!
  • Options
    if you want curl how they did it at the salon place, do it by getting a thin-ish section of hair, start at the top and clamp the straighteners on, twist it round so that the hair winds round a little, but so that you can still pull the straighteners through it at the same time
    took me a while to work it out but it finally clicked
  • Options
    Blah_x2 wrote:
    you put a small section of hair in the irons, twist it and then pull it down the legnth of the hair

like this
    Bless that pic. :heart:
  • Options
    Bless that pic. :heart:

haha glad u like it :lol:
  • Options
    grab a piece of tin foil and roll it up sausage-stylee, wrap yr hair around it & then go over with ghd's.
  • Options
    I'm having my hair done by my friend like this right now!!! Becky says: Take the GHD's at the root of the hair, and then pull the straighteners down the hair while twisting the hair around the barrel. sound complicated but it really is working - my hair refuses to curl normally! :)
  • Options
    Thank You!

I have tried so many times to curl my hair with ghds..without success..all these comments have helped me so much and now i can get great curls in seconds! Thank You sooo much :yippe:
  • Options
    Lexxie* wrote: »
    grab a piece of tin foil and roll it up sausage-stylee, wrap yr hair around it & then go over with ghd's.

would that not frazzle the foil?

i tried all the methods on here and my hair is being gay. none work apart from the twist around your finger one, which gives distorted curls.

ANY HELP? :mad:

would it make any difference if someone did them for me rather than me doing them on myself?
  • Options
    Hiya,

I never used to be able to do this, but this video on youtube helped me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85QkJncQeA

However, I used the chunky GHDs, which I can't seemm to be able to create a tight curl with. It's quite loose, but still looks nice. I think the thinner GHDs (not the really thin ones, just the medium ones which most people seem to have) would be much better :) But yeah, I :heart: this video!

Danielle
    xxx
  • Options
    Jasmine123 wrote: »
    Hiya,

I never used to be able to do this, but this video on youtube helped me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85QkJncQeA

However, I used the chunky GHDs, which I can't seemm to be able to create a tight curl with. It's quite loose, but still looks nice. I think the thinner GHDs (not the really thin ones, just the medium ones which most people seem to have) would be much better :) But yeah, I :heart: this video!

Danielle
    xxx

Thats really helpful, I could never work out how to d it before. Not that my hair is long enough to curl without looking like a complete tool now, but I can sit at home with by curly hair looking like a tool :thumb:
  • Options
    ah ha, that's so funny. She looks like a little girl been at her mother's beauty desk or something!
  • Options
    Total Life Saver

Jasmine 123, you are a complete life saver! Thank you for the video! It really helped me! I've a party to go to tomorrow night and have been reading about and practising curling my hair all day but just couldn't get my head (or fingers lol) round it!!

Thanks xx
  • Options
    Jasmine 123, you are a complete life saver! Thank you for the video! It really helped me! I've a party to go to tomorrow night and have been reading about and practising curling my hair all day but just couldn't get my head (or fingers lol) round it!!

Thanks xx

This thread is 2 years old.
  • Options
    hi i know this question might sound really idiotic but can anyone explain to me, in simpleton terms, how to curl/wave your hair with ghd hair straighteners?there's a guide on the ghd website but what can i say, i didn't get their instructions. :confused:
    thanks

:flirt: you section a layer of your hair starting from bottom to top. you then take a lil bit ov hair from the layer and put straightners at top lyk u wer goin to straiighten it but jst twist the straightners and pull dwn the hair n do that to all ur layers of hair its ded easy but it will b crap the first time u do it u hav 2 keep practising to get it nice:)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    squeal wrote: »
    This thread is 2 years old.

Well if people are still adding helpful info to it then I don't think it matters :)
  • Options
    2 years old yet has taught me how to do the impossible with my hair! Never had hair curled before and now i can do it myself wahoo i love the odd curl in straight hair!
  • Options
    Plug them in with very wet hands

:shocking:

Curly hair, though a bit smokey