Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Viola Sizes...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everybody,

I'm getting intrigued about getting a viola. I've played the violin for yonks, so feel I'll naturally connect with a viola - plus want the scrummier, deeper tones...ooo... anyway- for anyone who understands (!) I play a fullsize violin (4/4), how do the sizes for a viola work and what would I be looking at to buy. Quite long arms :D. Taa anyone!!

Malt xxx :D

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure a quick search on google or yahoo will tell you the answer...
  • Options
    as far as i know you can get them in the same sizes as violins

but, be aware that violas are a bit bigger than violins
  • Options
    I tried google but failed, I will try harder. The sizes for violins are 1/4,2/4,3/4 and 4/4 whereas the sizes for viola's come in inches...I was wondering what might be a parrallel to a 4/4..!

To ellaborate a lil more! :D

Malt xx :D
  • Options
    The smallest size viola that will make a satisfactory tone is the 14" model, it is like a more robustly built full size violin. Up to a point, the bigger the instrument you can manage comfortably, the better the sound you will make. However, you will not enjoy playing an instrument that is too heavy and awkward for your physique so take good advice from a teacher before you buy. Professionals use instruments of around 16’’ and above.

most shops seem to stock 12" 13" 14" 15" 15.5" and 16" sizes
  • Options
    You want a cello really. :p

I wouldn't go for one that you think is an appropriate size, but one that feels right. Back when I played the violin (horrible instrument :|) I stayed on with my 3/4 longer than I should, because I was happier with it. I only changed because I had to.
  • Options
    Remember you'll need to learn a new clef of music reading. Viola's are bigger than violins, but you can get a 4/4 violin and string it as a viola and it will sound the same.