Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can we travel?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and a good friend are supposed to be going to New York around the middle of February. The problem is he has a cultivation charge from a few years back and I've been told by a few people that he won't be allowed to enter the country.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Comments

• JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If I was you I'd call Release on their Legal Helpline:0845 4500 215 or email them at ask@release.org.uk.

The Legal Helpline is managed by a team of lawyers and offers expert legal advice to people directly or indirectly affected by drugs, your call will be answered by a lawyer or by a trained volunteer working under supervision. They should be able to tell you exactly where your friend stands in terms of the law.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks LadyJade :)
    bunch o bastards won't let me in ...
    That's odd, when I entered JFK this summer there was barely any security what-so-ever.

Strange.
    junker wrote:
    That's odd, when I entered JFK this summer there was barely any security what-so-ever.

Strange.

i think they do checks before you even get near the airport, i tihnk so anyway
    turlough wrote:
    i think they do checks before you even get near the airport, i tihnk so anyway

Yeh or you might be a few hundred miles off Eastern USA at 35000ft when the pilots get a call saying your some crazed criminal for cultivating a few ounces of homegrown....

Then you have to turn back, sorry... ;)
    Nash wrote:
    Yeh or you might be a few hundred miles off Eastern USA at 35000ft when the pilots get a call saying your some crazed criminal for cultivating a few ounces of homegrown....

Then you have to turn back, sorry... ;)

seriously, can that happen, that would be a shit, you sitting there in a plane thinking "phew, i actually got away with it" then the pilot comes on, "due to unforseen circumstances there is a criminal...." and thats when your heart just sinks.
    turlough wrote:
    seriously, can that happen, that would be a shit, you sitting there in a plane thinking "phew, i actually got away with it" then the pilot comes on, "due to unforseen circumstances there is a criminal...." and thats when your heart just sinks.

I was having a bit of a laugh.... but

Something similar happened the other day, some geezer has a name that the USA has on it's 'suspected terrorist' list, so no entry allowed, plane turns back to a diversion airport...

And that bloke who sang years ago, can't remember his name??? He converted to muslim religion I think, and changed his name, and guess what, the plane he was on to the USA got turned back cause they though he was a threat...
    Nash wrote:
    I was having a bit of a laugh.... but

Something similar happened the other day, some geezer has a name that the USA has on it's 'suspected terrorist' list, so no entry allowed, plane turns back to a diversion airport...

And that bloke who sang years ago, can't remember his name??? He converted to muslim religion I think, and changed his name, and guess what, the plane he was on to the USA got turned back cause they though he was a threat...

yes, yusuf islam aka cat stevens, there's a mini debate about it somewhere in the P&D board right now.
    I think what Turlough meant was that you won't be issued with a visa in this country to even allow you to get on a plane. Right, Turlough?
    Be very careful, the Americans do NOT piss about, they are serious people you dont really want to get on the wrong side of.

Checks on people since September the 11th have increased.

However, it depends how long you are going for. Most Brits only have to fill in the blue form visa waver on the plane, your name is then checked against a list of undesirables.

A list I presume you are not on, not being involved in international terrorism.

Talk to Release, they are the serious experts in this.
    LadyJade wrote:
    I think what Turlough meant was that you won't be issued with a visa in this country to even allow you to get on a plane. Right, Turlough?

yes... :nervous: yea seriously though i did mean that
    On the US embassy website it says anyone with a criminal record must apply for a visa in this country. Its probably a long shot but I'd hate to get to Newark airport and get turned back for a stupid charge from ages ago.

I've emailed Release, just waiting for a reply from them :)
    Let us know how you get on, it would be good information to know.
    Yeah no probs. I really hope it's not going to be an issue because I'm really looking forward to this trip!
    theres always the canadian border ...which has been seriously tightened up cos of canadas massive cannabis exports but ...it's near impossible for the yanks to police propper.
    not like thier southern cousins on the mexican border which is massively and very high tech policed ...and still the drugs and the people get through ...