Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Musical Fancies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
No, not a top 5 of the most lovliest people in music, but a mere query into what everyone here likes/dislikes.

Is there a band that really gets your goat? Or a musical genre you just can't abide?

Or are you passionate about Punk, crazy for clubbing or just downright potty for pop?

Me, I'll give pretty much anything a go, but my real passion lies with good ol' rock and indie. Give me a bit of Shellac, Guns'n'Roses, Pixies and Interpol over Kylie anyday!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Most Top 40 I cannot stand. Hate commerical Dance music with a passion. Anything Progressive House/Trance or Drum & Bass I love.
  • Options
    So, from your username, I can take it that you are have a fond liking for a certain Electronica/House DJ?

I like some of Da 'Cat's stuff - particularly what he does with Miss Kittin. 'Madame Hollywood' being a favourite of mine to wiggle my bum to. It is so hard to find Kittenz and Thee Glitz in the shops though. Any particular reason why?

The Top 40 is currently a reason to slash the wrists, I agree. Too much manufactured garbage pretending to be the real deal - Rooster, Good Charlotte et al.
    I can't stand this penchant that English 'bands' such as the now former Busted and McFly have for wanting to sound like Green Day with their faux American singing accents. I just sounds ridiculous and really gets under my skin.
  • Options
    can't stand this penchant that English 'bands' such as the now former Busted and McFly have for wanting to sound like Green Day with their faux American singing accents. I just sounds ridiculous and really gets under my skin.

It's said that people who do this try and copy their fave artists, alot being from the US so they kinda automaticly sing or rap in a US accent. There was a lot of British Hip-Hop acts who raped in American accents which was soon picked out and they were told to rap in their own style or something, people should sing or rap in the accent they were given and not in any fake voice tbh.

Busted and McFly make me laugh because they are just wannabe Green Day or NOFX. They will always be known as boy bands and nobody will reall take them seriously enough to be a real Punk Rock type band. As for Da Housecats stuff Amazon UK

Amazon US
  • Options
    I like anything that I can dance to.

Love cheesy stuff, I'm an unashamed teenybopper. To me, music is about singing along to on a Friday night and enjoying, rather than this constant desire for credibilty.

Love Nelly, Girls Aloud, Busted etc, and a lot of old music too.

Can't stand Usher, I think he's a cock with a fucking horrible sound.

Despise pretentious rock music that people just listen to because their mates tell them to, there's too much need to be exclusive and not to sell out, which is snobbery of a highest form.

Also hate "local" bands who think they're automatically talented because they play a guitar. Pretty much every time I've had the misfortune of hearing them in a pub or if someones posts their demos on here, they've been solid gold shit.

Most people ill disagree with that whole post, but hey ho.
  • Options
    Im pretty passionate about my sounds. Really keeps me wired with everything i guess.

The Blood Brothers totally save me as do the lostprophets ,they have been with me for too long to remember. I truly love all kinds of music and im besotted with some of these artists. Massiveattack/at the drive in/blondie/de facto/incubus and so on..

the murder of rosa luxemburg are an amazing band. I will listen to everything as long as it has passion and creativity. Im currently listening to..

de facto
    john frusciante
    le tigre
    the blood brothers :) for those that care. I presume non of this is of interest, theres not enough music threads around here.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Despise pretentious rock music that people just listen to because their mates tell them to, there's too much need to be exclusive and not to sell out, which is snobbery of a highest form.

Also hate "local" bands who think they're automatically talented because they play a guitar. Pretty much every time I've had the misfortune of hearing them in a pub or if someones posts their demos on here, they've been solid gold shit.

Most people ill disagree with that whole post, but hey ho.

isn't that not really pretentious in itself, i also hate the way they all act, think they're clah because the play instruments, yeh but who cares, the music is good most of the time, you can't just say all that music is shit for one reason, the same can be said for pop, i have no respect whatsoever for it, tihnk they're all a pack of dicks but i can bounce away to some cheesy pop songs, i don't care really and neither should you.

myself, i'm into everything except for commericial rap/hip hop and 90% of pop, especially the slow love songs.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    isn't that not really pretentious in itself, i also hate the way they all act, think they're clah because the play instruments, yeh but who cares, the music is good most of the time, you can't just say all that music is shit for one reason, the same can be said for pop, i have no respect whatsoever for it, tihnk they're all a pack of dicks but i can bounce away to some cheesy pop songs, i don't care really and neither should you.

myself, i'm into everything except for commericial rap/hip hop and 90% of pop, especially the slow love songs.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people like rock. I just think it's vastly overrated, not very easy on my ears to be honest.

Each to their own though (I just had to be the first dick in this thread to say it, eh?)
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I can see why people like rock. I just think it's vastly overrated, not very easy on my ears to be honest.

Each to their own though (I just had to be the first dick in this thread to say it, eh?)

someone always says it, yeh i've noticed that this past while, i thnk it's more of the fact that people in the rock circle think rock music is the be all and end all of music which i tihnk is balls because anything with a tune that i like is good enough for me, end of story.
  • Options
    DJ Dana or Lady Dana, she's a hardstyle DJ over in the Netherlands, sexeh too :yum:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    I like my underground dance music - Old Skool Hardcore, Jungle, Gabba, Freeform.
    + I love my cheese.
    I can't stand all that Slipnot shit though and other crap like it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    DJ Dana or Lady Dana, she's a hardstyle DJ over in the Netherlands, sexeh too :yum:

She ain't that hot. DJ Rap is faaar betta mmmm.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    fit
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    And another

dj_girl_0718.jpg
  • Options
    I would like to think that my music taste is quite varied, although i am not an r+b or hip hop fan.
    I mainly listen to punk/ska/two tone/that kind of thing and my favourite bands at the minute are probabaly catch 22, mustard plug, suicide machines, mad caddies etc.
  • Options
    Jeffie wrote:
    No, not a top 5 of the most lovliest people in music, but a mere query into what everyone here likes/dislikes.

Is there a band that really gets your goat? Or a musical genre you just can't abide?

Or are you passionate about Punk, crazy for clubbing or just downright potty for pop?

Me, I'll give pretty much anything a go, but my real passion lies with good ol' rock and indie. Give me a bit of Shellac, Guns'n'Roses, Pixies and Interpol over Kylie anyday!

Can't stand the whole emo/silly punk thing going on right now.

Some proper nonsense :yuck: .
  • Options
    I have a really varied taste in music.

Most of my friends are into cheesy stuff and I quite like a lot of it as well. I don't really get why people get so annoyed about pop music - it's just a laugh. I only really listen to it if I'm out in a club with all my friends cos its good to have a wee boogie to when drunk. (Apart from the Backstreet Boys - loved them and still listen to them quite a lot! :blush: ).

Have to say i agree with some of what Brian said. I can't stand people who think it makes them a superior or cooler person because they heard of a certain band before anyone else. I know a guy like this who the other night actually said to me "I only like new music". Eh? So what, once a band has brought out an album does he not like them anymore??

Suppose my passion lies mainly with rock. But within rock music my taste is varied as well. Some of my fave bands are Bon Jovi, The Killers, Guns n Roses, Motley Crue, Velvet Revolver, Nine Inch Nails, Mother Love Bone, Incubus and Alkaline Trio.

I like quite melodic stuff like Damien Rice, Goo Goo Dolls, Ryan Adams and Jeff Buckley as well.

Only music I can't stand is Oasis and the majority of that 90s 'britpop' stuff.
  • Options
    I listen to pretty much everything. I don't listen to pop or cheesy dance music, purely because I hate it. But I can play a chemical Brothers or Yoji Biomehanika tune then put The Berzerker on next, it's crazy ;o

I'm not too keen on punk, although some is good. Metal is and (I think) always will be my favourite genre of music.

As an aside, Killswitch Engage tomorrow ;D
  • Options
    I like established, older heavy metal bands (Metallica, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Diamondhead, Pantera). I also like older punk and two-tone. I've developed a liking for Grindcore (Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, Dillinger Escape Plan, A.C.).I also like to listen to a bit of Oi! every now and again. (Oi Polloi, Cockney Rejects, Shitgiveits). I think highly of Aphex Twin and although he doesn't fit in musically with anything else I've listed he doesn't really need to.

I detest pop, pop-punk, rnb, garage and cheesy dance music. I don't really like run of the mill rock bands and indie as I prefer bands/artists who push the envelope a little bit. I'm not too fond of "nu-metal" but every now and again there is a gem (i.e Korn - Got The Life, Slipknot - Vermillion). I don't mind Rap as long as more effort goes into the lyrical content than the presentation.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    I like established, older heavy metal bands (Metallica, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Diamondhead, Pantera). I also like older punk and two-tone. I've developed a liking for Grindcore (Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, Dillinger Escape Plan, A.C.).I also like to listen to a bit of Oi! every now and again. (Oi Polloi, Cockney Rejects, Shitgiveits). I think highly of Aphex Twin and although he doesn't fit in musically with anything else I've listed he doesn't really need to.

I detest pop, pop-punk, rnb, garage and cheesy dance music. I don't really like run of the mill rock bands and indie as I prefer bands/artists who push the envelope a little bit. I'm not too fond of "nu-metal" but every now and again there is a gem (i.e Korn - Got The Life, Slipknot - Vermillion). I don't mind Rap as long as more effort goes into the lyrical content than the presentation.

If you like Grindcore, try out a band called Scarlet.
  • Options
    I like alot of stuff, but I cannot stand popular R&B, it's an insult to music, and my ears. I believe the artists are talented, but the backing music is usually dire!

I have mostly been listening to random electronica recently though, alot of things from ninja tunes :yes:
    that said, I used to listen to alot of punk and ska-punk, and played in a pretty big ska band for a while which was fun :)

I also love radiohead :D
  • Options
    i like a lot of stuff. my favourite is indie i guess, loving oasis, manics, muse, pumpkins, (early) radiohead, blur, suede, 'phonics. like a lot of new stuff like killers, libertines, razorlight etc. dance music is good, mainly like hard house n cheesy stuff, and i love a bit of cheesy pop on a night out (mcfly rule!!!). having said that, some of my sisters (g)emo stuff is ok. the only thing i really cant stand is r'n'b.