Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Tribe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone been watching this show on Monday nights on BBC2? It's about an explorer who spends time with isolated societies around the world.

The guy immediately comes off as a wanker in the opening credits when he says "My name's Bruce Parry and I'm an explorer . But it has to be said, while he can be patronising to the people, he also shows how they treat him like a small child because he can't hunt or walk barefoot etc.

Not particularly informative, but it's entertaining enough. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i thought it was brilliant, just goes to show that money doesn't bring happiness, these people have nothing but nature around them but they seem so happy and i thought the stories they told were class, good show
  • Options
    I was gonna start a thread about this 3 weeks ago after the first show but totally forgot.

I think this is a quality programme which shows us what life can be like without all our creature comforts and modern technology.

Next week he apparantly trips out big time on some natural drug thing that the Tribe give him as an initiation.
  • Options
    What was the first episode like?

Yeh I saw the preview for next week's show with the drugs, looks pretty good.
  • Options
    First episode was with a tribe in the North of India or Nepal or something. Interesting to see the people react to their first sight of a white person.
  • Options
    First episode was with a tribe in the North of India or Nepal or something. Interesting to see the people react to their first sight of a white person.

they probably think we're some inferior race descended form polar bears or something.
  • Options
    It's funny like, because a lot of anthropologists who go to live with tribes do find themselves relegated to the status of a child or very to to that of a clown. Both times I've watched Tribe the guy's been put into the status of a child by the elders.