Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Dealing With People

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is a life where you deal with lots of people more interesting or more stressful?

Like a fiction writer for example doesn't have to deal with main people on a daily basis . But a waitress has to deal with people all the time.

Comments

• Options
    Much as customers and workmates piss me off, I love my job.

I'm the kind of person who would absolutely hate a job that didn't involve customers.
  • Options
    interesting. You meet people who make you angry as hell [customer service :p], work colleagues who make you want to rip your hair out, managers who put shitloads of pressure on you to work, people who annoy you, people who try to tell you what to do when you're doing a better job the way you do it, and the whole time you have customers whingeing at you etc.

The same applies to places like college, school, going out, whatever. But i've noticed you meet some really nice people in the middle of it, like the customers who know how stressed you are and are really nice to you, the people at college who are just amazing, even people on the street who suprise you - couple of months ago i was walking down the street and my brand new unopened pack of ciggies that i'd just bought fell out of my pocket, and this woman ran hundereds of metres just to give them me back.

I reckon its worth it anyway ;p
  • Options
    people have always been fascinating to me above all else.
    i can't imagine being a truck driver ...day after day sat on your arse doing 50mph up and down the same boring motorways all alone ...what kind of life is that?
    they drive across continents and see ...motorways and loading bays and spend most of their sad lives alone ...
  • Options
    i really enjoy working with people.

but i hated (with a passion) working with customers. something scary happens to people when they become customers. they lose all rational thought.
  • Options
    Is a life where you deal with lots of people more interesting or more stressful?

It can be both.

I love the unpredictability of dealing with people, you just never know what's coming next. Makes my job interesting.

But I'm sorry, some people are just too stupid to live.
  • Options
    Interesting...

People get angry for a reason...
  • Options
    people have always been fascinating to me above all else.
    i can't imagine being a truck driver ...day after day sat on your arse doing 50mph up and down the same boring motorways all alone ...what kind of life is that?
    they drive across continents and see ...motorways and loading bays and spend most of their sad lives alone ...

I'd have thought being an airline pilot would be even more boring then, once they get the bird in the air they switch on the autopilot and just have to watch the instruments for 7 hours!!

They're not even allowed passenger visits now!!

As a nation I find the British an interesting study .. They say we work the longest hours in Europe and yet we probabaly have less to show for it then people from other countries in terms of quality of life, have the higest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe, highest rates of heart diesese, etc - we helped build the fastest passenger plane in the world but we can't build a decent car unless it's handbuilt. We have the best inventors in the world but we can barely get anything to market. We used to rule the biggest island in the world (Australia) but instead of moving over there to enjoy life in the sun we sent our criminals over there :eek2:

If you're looking for a nation full of interesting people you've found it !!! :)
  • Options
    I absolutely loved working as a tourist guide and to get the chance to talk to a lot of various people. I don't find working in a shop as rewarding because most people aren't exactly interested in talking to you, but I definitely don't hate working there either.
    I have always considered me to be a bit of a loner, but I wouldn't for the life of me give up being around others and communicating on a regular basis.
    They say we work the longest hours in Europe

They say the exact same thing about us Icelanders... I wonder who's right?
  • Options
    i love fucking with customers heads

customer "eh have you any more of these left"

me"no, there's none left and you can't take any out of the window display

customer "oh please, ask the manager if i can," they continue to make up some story why they need it

me "oh alright, i'll check now, wait here"

i proceed to go to the stock room, listen to music for a while, come back down 20 mins later and you see the same silly costumer still standing, if they'd brains they'd be dangerous, shoulda just listened to me in the first place, they can be annoying