Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Explain to me...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I find it amazing that people have dreams, ambitions, what ever you want to call them and yet they don't follow them because it seems too hard, or because other people are better, or because it's not secure, or it might be a bit scary. Thats what life is about? right? following your dreams and making them happen against all odds.

where has people's fighting spirit gone? why do people not strive for a better world and put up with second best....?

i just don't understand.

Comments

• Options
    I find it amazing that people have dreams, ambitions, what ever you want to call them and yet they don't follow them because it seems too hard, or because other people are better, or because it's not secure, or it might be a bit scary. Thats what life is about? right? following your dreams and making them happen against all odds.

where has people's fighting spirit gone? why do people not strive for a better world and put up with second best....?

i just don't understand.
    what i don't understand is such a statement coming from YOU!
    have you had a personality transplant?
  • Options
    where has people's fighting spirit gone

Fight or Flight

Fear makes things seem daunting

Or may be because too many people listen to people around them who tell them that their ideas would "never work out in the real world" - so, their dreams just get ground down to nothing.

- quite sad really!
  • Options
    I'm following my dream. I'm moving to Manchester, and I'm going to have a long hard think about what i want to do. My other dream is to have a long lasting, life fulfilling relationship, and that takes two, so I'm waiting for that one...
  • Options
    what i don't understand is such a statement coming from YOU!
    have you had a personality transplant?

what the hell you on about rolly?

i've left school without any qualifictions to acheive my dreams.....
  • Options
    I have done my dream job (on Thursday) and it was great!... well it was my dream job from 3 - 8 years. i was a trolly man! :D see some dreams come true.
  • Options

What are your dreams?
  • Options

what i'm on about TT is you sounding so positive for a change!
  • Options
    Thats what life is about? right? following your dreams and making them happen against all odds.

Nah not always, we want things yeah of course, but some of us stick with second best and make do with what we have.
  • Options
    what i'm on about TT is you sounding so positive for a change!

i've been like this for a month or so now, just the site seems to be getting very negetive so it's hard to be very positive.....

but no, things are hard, but good. be much better if people answered my threads as well.......and if someone could make me an av.....
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Nah not always, we want things yeah of course, but some of us stick with second best and make do with what we have.

but why?

i really just don't understand....thats like giving up.
  • Options
    i've been like this for a month or so now, just the but no, things are hard, but good. if someone could make me an av.....

great stuff!
    sorry i can't help with a fat av.
  • Options
    but why?

What are your dreams??

And I wouldn't say it's giving up, a lot of people just discover that they're just as happy going through an easier route, or find that they're happy as they are and don't need all they dreamed for.
  • Options
    but why?

not realy ...sometimes people have to way up if the risk is worth it ...decide no ...and get on with it ...doesn't mean their dreams can't be rescusitated at a later date.
  • Options
    I'm too lazy to go for my dreams.

Ironic really, seeing as I sleep so much.
  • Options
    What are your dreams??QUOTE]

to make my own music and and help others do the same by being a music producer. ok, yeah i'd also like to be on glastonbury main stage one day, and work with Trent Reznor and Maynard James Keenan, but to help people some how with my music.....hopefully using my lyrics and them some how getting through to people.

i have many dreams not all of which i want to make public, but one dream i have accomplished by just being here today. because this time last year i was pretty sure i wasn't going to be.
  • Options

to make my own music and and help others do the same by being a music producer. ok, yeah i'd also like to be on glastonbury main stage one day, and work with Trent Reznor and Maynard James Keenan, but to help people some how with my music.....hopefully using my lyrics and them some how getting through to people.

i have many dreams not all of which i want to make public, but one dream i have accomplished by just being here today. because this time last year i was pretty sure i wasn't going to be.

Same here. A couple of years back I didn't think I'd make 18. Yet I did and I'm still going strong :D

As far as the music producer thing goes, it's a bloody difficult road to go down but you believe in yourself and you can make it :)
  • Options
    but why?

We all have hopes and dreams but lets be honest they are just that 'dreams'

I dunno tbh............thats life innit.
  • Options
    fooked that quote up didnt i....but thats life innit.
  • Options
    You know, some dreams are just impossible to achieve...

Anyway, I'm working on mine... it only takes time and maths and chemistry tests...

Oh, and some of them need just money... So...

Ok... the answer to your question is... lots of people are too comodist and lazy to follow even a snail, and maybe their dreams run fast... :\
  • Options
    As far as the music producer thing goes, it's a bloody difficult road to go down but you believe in yourself and you can make it :)

well, I've got myself on a C&G course so thats a big headstart, and it also helps that i sing, play piano, and guitar

And like mainy people say to me.....i never choose the easy way....

I have a huge thing about not being true to myself, that one thing i could just never do. So, no matter how hard it maybe I have to do my damnest to get there. I think it helps that i've got some very supportive friends and some very good connections within EMI
  • Options
    It's all well and good to have wild dreams and ambitions, but I think (rightly or wrongly) most people settle for a modest life which makes them happy without being grand or newsworthy or any of that stuff. It's a bit of a Hollywood cliche...the idea of "making it", or being fulfilled...when in reality that can come from any number of small events, or one huge occurence. It's different for everyone.

I always thought I'd change the world/write some fantastic book/be famous and adored and all that stuff. But then I realised that I actually don't really want that stuff, I just want to figure out a life that'll make me happy.

There will always be visionaries, geniuses and really, really determined people who make grand discoveries and change things for everyone else. In the past these people would have been called crazy, now people who want the bog standard life are often the ones to be considered nutters. Each to their own, and all that :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I only have two dreams. One of them is to overthrow Bill Gates, but first I'd need to graduate, even if this one is achievable.
    The other one is to remember what having fun feels like, but just like Chaos's dream takes two people, this one takes even more, so it's not solely in my hands.
  • Options

It's an ambitious dream, but I'm glad you're going for it, so few do.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Actually, now that I think about it, I do have another dream. To stop people from smoking. No, to stop them from wanting to. It would still be legal (or not, no matter) but no one would do it, except maybe a few, but they'd be an exception. No more teenagers disregarding common sense and starting to smoke, no more adults wishing they hadn't started when they wouldn't have if they had thought about it.
    But no matter how optimistic you are, you surely can't see that as achievable... :crying:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    But dreams change along with circumstances. When I was leaving school I dreamt of finishing uni, travelling and all that sort of batchelor stuff, wonderful lifestyle. However, I have now met someone and my dreams have changed as my life now includes my boyfriend and we are doing the housey homely thing, which is making me happy.

I am all for saying to people to "follow their dreams". I think it is sad that there are alot of people in the world who are not happy doing what they are doing. I'm also a firm believer in doing what you can to make yourself happy.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I always thought I'd change the world/write some fantastic book/be famous and adored and all that stuff. But then I realised that I actually don't really want that stuff, I just want to figure out a life that'll make me happy.

same. i had all these grand plans and dreams when i was younger, but i think you get to a certain age, and you realise that's not what life's about.

you see all these celebrities earning millions and living in luxury, but are any of them actually happy?

my grandest dream these days is to lay on my deathbed knowing that i really enjoyed my life. with someone i've been married to for decades and still adore, with kids, and grandkids who aren't divorcing me, or selling their stories to the paper. i'll have seen the world, and done loads of fun things, but still always glad to get home. i might not have millions, or a mansion, but everything i have, i'd have worked for, and be proud of it.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    you see all these celebrities earning millions and living in luxury, but are any of them actually happy?

Heh. I reckon that though a fair few of them will have their problems that a large group of them will be at least simplistically "happy". ;)

yeah. You and probably 70% of kids have the idea that they will become a rock star or other celebrity.

The reason that people abandon such dreams is that dreams don't pay the bills that you have when you leave mummy and daddy's house. In fact, dreams don't bring in any money at all. These days you need to have some money to have a reasonable life. So most people accept that they can create more realistic dreams to live up to.

Fact is, whilst you're young it's a lot easier to have bigger dreams.
  • Options
    I'd say its mainly because people as a whole wont fight and do everything in their power to get to where they want, normally due to a obstacle or something in the way which would stop them getting to where they want.

my dreams are coming together, slowly, but they are starting to drift together, ive found a partner to start a web hosting business with, and my band seems to be going from strength to strength, sure we've had our disagreements and stuff, but we've all pulled through and not given up over a small obstacle or something.

i imagine most people come up to a obstacle and think "ahh fuck it, i cba" which is the wrong thing to do, anything IS possible, it just requires a bit of effort and stuff to get to where you want to go.
  • Options
    trouble with dreams are, many people are often chasing the same one and there just aint room to accomadate everyone.
    another thing ...you can often find yourself chasing the wind.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    yeah. You and probably 70% of kids have the idea that they will become a rock star or other celebrity.

Thing is, thats not really what i want. I want to work with music, whether that means that in the end i get signed and i am actually able to release my own album or not. most likely not. But, i can still do gigs and produce music and do plenty of behind the scenes stuff.....