Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Wear Yellow

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, does anybody know any UK sites where i'll be able to get hold of either the wear yellow livestong wristband or the pink breast cancer wristband? I've tried the american sites and they don't do the single bands.

Comments

• Options
    Ebay :yes:
  • Options
    It's no good, the money doesn't go to the appeals. So ain't much point in buying one then!
  • Options
    Maybe she just wants to show her support for it visually. Though agreed, would much rather buy off the charity - could you not look up sites like breast cancer, think pink websites?

Malt xxx
  • Options
    Like I said before, please, just donate the money to the charity instead. For the sake of fashion.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote:
    Like I said before, please, just donate the money to the charity instead. For the sake of fashion.

:yes: they look awful!
  • Options
    there was a thread on this a few days ago titled Livestrong. search it.
  • Options
    there was a thread on this a few days ago titled Livestrong. search it.

Will do ta. And it ain't just for fashion it's to show support and i already do donate to charities supporting breast cancer.
  • Options
    **barbie** wrote:
    Will do ta. And it ain't just for fashion it's to show support and i already do donate to charities supporting breast cancer.
    Do you want to impress people with you charitable works? Just give the money.
  • Options
    **barbie** wrote:
    Why do people want to show that they give to charity? So they can look kind hearted?
  • Options
    I think you can get them on the livestrong website but you don't buy them in singles. They come in batches on 10 for $10
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    why is it no one makes such a fuss over wearing a breast cancer pin? hmmm?

or maybe the little green pin for donating the NSPCA
    Because no-one wants one to look good, put a quid in the box and have the pin. everyone wants one of these livestrong bands because they're "fasionable" that's all.
  • Options
    I started the exact same thread a few days ago
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Do you want to impress people with you charitable works? Just give the money.

No i don't want to impress people, all i asked was a simple question.
  • Options
    You can get them in the cancer research shops I think. their not fashion accessories tho.
  • Options
    Maybe she just wants to show her support for it visually. Though agreed, would much rather buy off the charity - could you not look up sites like breast cancer, think pink websites?

Malt xxx

That's pretty sad. You should be able to gain enough satisfaction from giving to charities on its own without having to parade around showing off this thing all like "hey look at me, amn't I considerate?" Like the people who covered Band Aid. They don't give a shit about starving kids in Africa. When was the last time you seen any of them fly out, or donate any of their fortunes? Never. But as soon as a publicity opertunity comes along they jump at the chance.

So very, very shallow.
    rachie004 wrote:
    why is it no one makes such a fuss over wearing a breast cancer pin? hmmm?

'Cause the LiveStrong thing is more of a 'fashion' statement than actually giving money to charities. People who wouldn't normally give money to charities are buying them (alot of the time off eBay etc, completely bullifying the point) just 'cause it's the latest fad.
  • Options
    I don't think this persons doing it for the sake of fashion, so stop badgering her you McMeanies!

I don't know why but I've always thought the ones for bullying were a good idea - fight against bullying? Always imagined a solid front from numerous bullied people against a person without a band (being the bully). Of course all would wear it and squash that little wierd visual in my head but hey...*wanders off to find brain and stop daydreaming of odd things...*

Malt :)
  • Options
    Maybe some people wear them as a fashion thing but not everyone. Being a trainee nurse and doing reserch for breast cancer for college work money is needed for futher research, no matter how they get it. Yeah there are alot of other charities that need money but my nan has had breast cancer and i know how much help she needed! These bands are a good way for promoting charities as well as pins and things like that, so they aren't just there to look good.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote:
    That's pretty sad. You should be able to gain enough satisfaction from giving to charities on its own without having to parade around showing off this thing all like "hey look at me, amn't I considerate?" Like the people who covered Band Aid. They don't give a shit about starving kids in Africa. When was the last time you seen any of them fly out, or donate any of their fortunes? Never. But as soon as a publicity opertunity comes along they jump at the chance.

So very, very shallow.

Why bitch at me!? I'm not out buying a band...I give charities money with no expectance of a pin or band or whatever to signify I have given - I do get enough satisfaction from just giving on my own accord without receiving something in return as that's the point to me giving in the first place?

This person wants to wear a band - so? If they want to, let them. Don't aim that at me - I'm not bloody 'shallow' I don't consider this person shallow either if this is something that they want to do - let them - who honestly gives a sausage!?

Malt
  • Options
    I don't think this persons doing it for the sake of fashion, so stop badgering her you McMeanies!

Yeah? I'm willing to bet more than 80% of the people wearing these armbands have donated to charity oh, never?
    I don't know why but I've always thought the ones for bullying were a good idea - fight against bullying? Always imagined a solid front from numerous bullied people against a person without a band (being the bully).

It's far more likely that a kid wearing one (probably someone who already gets bullied, as why else would they wear one?) would get bullied even more as soon as the bully see's the horrible piece of tack they're sporting.
  • Options
    Wear Yellow -

" It's a symbol of hope, courage and perseverance "

" Show your support by wearing a yellow Live Strong™ wristband and share one with your friends and family"

Its a show of bloody support. Why the need to moan so much about why someone wants to wear a Livestrong, or indeed any other kind of wristband/pin etc. Its none of your business. Some of you just automatically think " Aw He/She just wants it as a fashion statement/assessory" and thats your mind made up.

A pin, a wristbadge whatever its a show of fcuking support

Get a grip ffs :thumb:
  • Options
    Why bitch at me!? I'm not out buying a band...I give charities money with no expectance of a pin or band or whatever to signify I have given - I do get enough satisfaction from just giving on my own accord without receiving something in return as that's the point to me giving in the first place?t

I'm not bitching at you o_O I like, addressed your points n stuff kthx.
    This person wants to wear a band - so? If they want to, let them.

Yeah no shit. What did you think I was going to do? Go around Britain ripping them from the arms of people as I meet them in the street?
    Don't aim that at me

You were the one who said it, so you were the one I quoted. K?
    who honestly gives a sausage!?

I hate this argument. Clearly the person who brought it up gives a 'sausage' or else they wouldn't have brought it up.

I stated my opinion in the hope that they'd realise the stupidity of going to all this effort to find somewhere that sells one of the bands when it'd be far simpler to just donate the money to charity, nothing more. K?
  • Options
    Richeh wrote:
    Wear Yellow -

" It's a symbol of hope, courage and perseverance "

" Show your support by wearing a yellow Live Strong™ wristband and share one with your friends and family"

Its a show of bloody support. Why the need to moan so much about why someone wants to wear a Livestrong, or indeed any other kind of wristband/pin etc. Its none of your business. Some of you just automatically think " Aw He/She just wants it as a fashion statement/assessory" and thats your mind made up.

A pin, a wristbadge whatever its a show of fcuking support

That's the point I'm getting at, dumbass. Charity is meant to be about self-satisfaction, not showing off to people about how considerate and selfless you are. Which by the way, is instantly nullified as soon as you don one of these.

Who the fuck is walking down the street, sees someone wearing a yellow wristband and thinks to theirself "Boy, that person sure is oozing of hope, courage and perseverance!" anyway?
  • Options
    wearing a white make poverty history one is ok though because is making a political statement and not donating money to the organisations involved
  • Options
    to be honest if i see one of those boxes i just put in the money, id rather not have a pin that im never gonna wear and will eventually stab me in the foot when its discarded
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    wearing a white make poverty history one is ok though because is making a political statement and not donating money to the organisations involved

It's still pretty pointless :/ If you want to make poverty history, wearing a white band is in no way going to help eliminate it. OK, so people see you wearing it... then what? Are they all going to unite together and partake in Britains version of the million man march, in turn causing Tony Blair to make massive social reforms?

I thought not.
  • Options
    Kiezo - I'm not gonna apologise because, I don't think you get what I'm saying - fair point, to you it's shallow and that a person doesn't need to gain a sort of momento from giving to charity and that there may be some out there who wear it because it's next thing thats making its turns on the fashion road. I personally didn't like the implication that you were calling me shallow - because I give money to charity and that's all I personally want. I don't see how if a person who does donate money and receives a wristband, or actively goes out to give money to a charity in order to get a wristband is shallow? I mean yeah, if it was for fashion sake, it's sorta sad, but for someone wishing to promote a charities work, a charity which may not be getting the recognition in needs in order to be acknowledged by others in order to receive more funding.

If they want to wear a band, let them doing it - they don't need people like you ripping it out of them for it and makin a generalisation about...all people who choose to wear them...?

Malt xx
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote:
    That's the point I'm getting at, dumbass. Charity is meant to be about self-satisfaction, not showing off to people about how considerate and selfless you are. Which by the way, is instantly nullified as soon as you don one of these.

Who the fuck is walking down the street, sees someone wearing a yellow wristband and thinks to theirself "Boy, that person sure is oozing of hope, courage and perseverance!" anyway?

Listen, for giving your money = support to them they give you a Yellow wristband, some ppl who have no idea what they are will try to find out what they are and in turn eventually might give to this charity, its called raising awareness and supporting these charitys. Its a free form of advertising for them also.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if someone chooses to wear a wristband to show their support theres fuck all you or anyone else can say about it.

Sure you could go give to charity and get nothing in return, sure thats what charity is about. But if your offered something in return theres nothing wrong with accepting it!

and less of the Dumbass thank you ;):p
  • Options
    Kiezo - I'm not gonna apologise because, I don't think you get what I'm saying - fair point, to you it's shallow and that a person doesn't need to gain a sort of momento from giving to charity and that there may be some out there who wear it because it's next thing thats making its turns on the fashion road

I don't expect you to apologise o_O It's only an opinion after all. And I get what you're saying, but my point takes your point and moves on from it ;[
    I personally didn't like the implication that you were calling me shallow -

Um, I wasn't calling you shallow. You said you haven't bought a band, ergo, I wasn't talking about you.
    I don't see how if a person who actively goes out to give money to a charity in order to get a wristband is shallow?

Seriously? You honestly don't see how that's shallow?

It's basically saying "If they weren't going to reward me with a shitty piece of rubber, I wouldn't bother giving to charity".
    I mean yeah, if it was for fashion sake, it's sorta sad, but for someone wishing to promote a charities work, a charity which may not be getting the recognition in needs in order to be acknowledged by others in order to receive more funding.

If you want to promote a charity's work, tell people about it. Go help collect for the charity. Wearing a wristband doesn't gelp. The first like, month I seen people wearing those wristbands I dismissed them as another shitty fashion trend. I didn't for one second think "Oh, they must be promotiong a charity!"
    If they want to wear a band, let them doing it - they don't need people like you ripping it out of them for it and makin a generalisation about...all people who choose to wear them...?

Like I said, of course I'm going to let them doing it. How could I possibly stop them? And it's not just a generalisation, it's a fact. Even if people are only aware of it at a subconscious level. If you want to promote a charity, actually promote it. If you want to give money to a charity, give it to them. Wristbands don't even factor into it for a second.
  • Options
    Richeh wrote:
    Listen, for giving your money = support to them they give you a Yellow wristband, some ppl who have no idea what they are will try to find out what they are and in turn eventually might give to this charity, its called raising awareness and supporting these charitys.

Noone's heard of charities for breast cancer then, huh? Ok say for a second you have been living in a bubble your entire life. Even if you weren't aware there were charities for breast cancer, you would be aware there was an affliction known as breast cancer. If you felt even remotely compelled about this, you would try and find out if there was anything you could do to help. After oh, 30 seconds on a search engine or talking to the first person you find, you'd know about breast cancer charities.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if someone chooses to wear a wristband to show their support theres fuck all you or anyone else can say about it.

Another two arguments that makes me cringe. Obviously everyone's entitled to their own opinion, AND ALL I'M DOING IS STATING MINE, K? And clearly there is fuck all I can say about it as y'know I'm like, saying it.

God ;[
    Sure you could go give to charity and get nothing in return, sure thats what charity is about. But if your offered something in return theres nothing wrong with accepting it!

Accept it all you like, by why wear it like a shallow, hollier-than-thou asshole?
  • Options
    I give up, agree to disagree on this wee beasty :thumb:

Malt xx