Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Haha!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
DONE & BUSTED

Jan 14 2005

It's all over as Charlie finally quits

000D7202-0878-1075-BC9880C328EC0000.jpg

AFTER months of denials and speculation, it's now official - Busted have finally split.

Band members Charlie Simpson, Matt Jay and James Bourne held a press conference in London this morning to confirm that they are to go their separate ways.

The announcement was timed to coincide with the launch of Charlie's first UK tour with his new band, Fightstar.

The 19-year-old singer will join his new outfit on stage tonight at Warwick University - and pals say there's no going back.

We revealed back in November that Busted were being put on hold while Charlie spent time with his new band, billed as a British Green Day.

He insisted on having two months off at the start of the year and record bosses at Universal hoped he'd then return to work on Busted's third album.

Label spokespeople continued to insist that his involvement with Fightstar was only temporary, that there were no problems with Busted and that there would be no split.

But unfortunately for them, Charlie had other ideas. On Monday, he went to a record company meeting and admitted he wanted out... for good.

And Charlie told his fans today: "I have quit Busted."

He added: "I'd like to say that I've been slightly concerned about the things I've read in the press recently saying that the band hasn't got on and I'm embarrassed about being in the band. "I'd like to quash those rumours. I've had the most amazing three years."

Thanking his fans, he said that his colleagues were "two of my best friends and amazing band mates. I wish them all the best for the future". Fightstar are slated to release an EP, consisting of about half a dozen songs, on February 28.

The band, who have a much harder edge than Busted, have already been lauded by the rock press.

They were formed after Charlie met his "kindred spirit", bassist Dan Haigh, at a party.

In a recent interview, Charlie revealed for the first time that his heart was no longer in Busted.

"It was a fun job but I'd never claim Busted was anything other than a pop band," he said. "It's not the ideal band I'd like to be in, by any stretch of the imagination."

The trio first hit the big time in September 2002 with What I Go To School For, which charted at No.3.

They went on to have another seven top three singles, including Crashed The Wedding, Air Hostess and You Said No. They also tried to crack the US but failed to make any inroads.

Shame, innit. :yeees:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Oh dear, my sister's friend will be gutted. She'll no doubt become Fightstar's biggest fan now though!!
  • Options
    ive never been so sad since they stopped selling my little ponies
  • Options
    They still sell My Little Ponies.

Cheer up, dafty.
  • Options
    Good news!

Charlie seems to think he's gonna be considered a credible musician with his new band tho. I read a thing in the paper yesterday that said tickets for his band's gigs are selling for £125 at a time. Clearly its just gonna be to Busted fans tho!! He's always gonna be seen a the guy from Busted with the big eyebrows.

And the new My Little Pony isn't like the ones in the old days :no:
  • Options
    Come the glorious revolution this decadent western crap music will not be allowed.
  • Options
    about bloody time!
  • Options
    Least they were honest and didn't lie to their fans about "taking a break" like Atomic Kitten did.

Bushy eyebrows boy can kindly fuck off to his pretentious obescure rock band if he likes, I hope he dies.

Busted really pissed off a lot of people as well as making some damn catchy tunes, so kudos.

The boys done good :thumb:
  • Options
    That 'What I go to school for' was Song of the Year tells you everything you need to know about the way this society is heading.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Bushy eyebrows boy can kindly fuck off to his pretentious obescure rock band if he likes, I hope he dies.

he's joining Muse?? :eek2:
  • Options
    i am really distraught about this latest development. I am sure most people are with me in saying we will always love you busted and you have a place in our hearts!
  • Options
    3 years? I didn't realise it was that long. Surely not that long since they released their first song?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Least they were honest and didn't lie to their fans about "taking a break" like Atomic Kitten did.

Very true. Ah well, I shan't lose any sleep over this one I don't think.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:

Yes, but they were lying scouse cunts, so nothing less would be expected.
  • Options
    :(

:heart: busted
  • Options
    he's joining Muse?? :eek2:
    Muse are obscure?? :eek2:
  • Options
    I'm gutted they split, I liked them, just a bit of fun its what music should be about. I saw them in December they were so good. Ahh well bands I like always split or take a break anyways!
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Muse are obscure?? :eek2:

i was looking at the word 'pretentious'. 6th form rock. woo.
  • Options
    i was looking at the word 'pretentious'. 6th form rock. woo.
    Ah yes. Pretentious rock is the way forward.
  • Options
    Bye bye busted.

There's a lot of busted fans who now hate Charlie.