Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Some help please :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just been to the jobcentre for an interview with them regarding my job search, i told them the great news that i have got myself a job. Then it all went downhill from their.

I explained the situation with the guy that i've been told i have to wait for 6 weeks before i get my first wage. In this period of time i will have no money coming in whatsoever and that i need help. He's basically told me im not entitled to any benefits at all. This puts me in a very difficult place because i cant affoed new work clothes/shoes, i cant afford travel to work. which in turn is going to jepordise a job i havent even started yet.

My only option is to contact the tax office and see if they will give me my tax rebate of whatever it is before i get my first wage but even thats probably not going to help!

I'm shocked that their is no support for me in this position at all. It makes makes my great news pale in comparison :(

Someone tell me their something i can do from this point because if i cant get money, i may well have to give up something i really want/need :(

I'm really stuck right now. I hope someone might be able to help. Mods is their any info you can perhaps give me ?

Thank you

Rich

ETA: i plan on talking to my new employer at my induction about this to see what they might be able to do. Or at least to make them aware

Oh and how do i actually go about claiming a tax rebate. Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Some help please :(
    Originally posted by Richeh
    This puts me in a very difficult place because i cant affoed new work clothes/shoes[/SIZE]

do they not provide a uniform?

i know sometimes they take a few days/weeks to arrive but i'm sure till then some black trousers and a white shirt (or something) will do until then? and surely you have those items in your wardrobe?

try not to worry, i'm sure people take on people that were previously out of employment frequently so they'll understand the lack of £.
    Oh im sure they will provide me with a shirt / fleece and such like its the fact i need another couple of pairs of trousers that actually fit and new shoes as i cant stand in mine they are unwearable... :(
    I'm shocked that their is no support for me in this position at all. It makes makes my great news pale in comparison :(

crap, isn't it?

you would think that people who make the effort to find work would be rewarded. but no.

i'd have a chat to your employer. some are really understanding and will give you an advance on your wages. even if it's only a wee bit, it's better than nothing.

My only option is to contact the tax office and see if they will give me my tax rebate of whatever it is before i get my first wage but even thats probably not going to help!

Oh and how do i actually go about claiming a tax rebate. Thanks

Did you give your P45 to the jobcentre when you signed on? In theory you should get any in year repayment due for 04/05 when you sign off. You then need to hand the P45 you get from the Jobcentre to your next employer to keep your tax code up to date. Jobseekers is a taxable benefit, even though you don't get enough benefit weekly to pay tax, it all counts towards your taxable income.

If you didn't give a P45 to the jobcentre, you will need to contact your tax office when you start your new job so they can get your record up to date, they will want details of your jobseekers allowance and any other previous employments in the 04/05 tax year. Any repayment due will be made via your pay packet (again no help to you right now) Your new employer will also want you to complete a P46.

You would have been able to claim an unemployment repayment if you had not signed on, but as you have have a taxable income (jobseekers) there is nothing that can be done.

Sorry dude
    :(
    I dont believe i did give my P45 to the jobcentre, in fact no i didnt because i couldnt find it lol. Took me ages to eventually find it but i never took it to them. The guy i had an interview with today told me they will calculate any tax rebates after they sign me off which i should be doing on friday, and also i should get another payment of jsa paid up until i actually start with my new employer, which as yet i dont know when it is.

He did however tell me i myself could contact the tax office and see if i can claim my tax back before then.

ETA: the girl i spoke to who offered me the job didnt ask me me to bring in my P45 as it goes but i'll take it in myself.
    The guy i had an interview with today told me they will calculate any tax rebates after they sign me off which i should be doing on friday
    He did however tell me i myself could contact the tax office and see if i can claim my tax back before then.

ETA: the girl i spoke to who offered me the job didnt ask me me to bring in my P45 as it goes but i'll take it in myself.

You will only get a tax repayment from the Jobcentre if they know your previous pay and tax details (from your P45), and as you didn't give them a P45 I would go on the theory that they don't know the details in order to be able to repay any tax, so please don't get your hopes up! I don't mean to be negative but I would hate to give you false hope.

I assuming the tax you want to get repaid has been paid in 2004/2005, and unless you qualify under a few circumstances (death being one of them), any in year tax is repaid via your employer.

I would def hand your P45 from the jobcentre into your new employer, that will keep your tax code up to date.
    Im deff htaking it with me on thursday to the induction so they can send it off, hopefully i wont get emergancy tax taken off me its really the last thing i need. Without the fear of sounding negative it'll prob happen anyway!

I was thinking about it and im not going to do anything regarding my tax rebate i'll just wait till i hand in my jsa book at the jobcentre and let them deal with it.

Also yeah the tax is from 04/05 tax year.
    I think most people get emergency taxed don't they?

When they first start I mean.
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    I think most people get emergency taxed don't they?

When they first start I mean.

It depends. Technically, if a new employer receives a P45 part 3 (that is less than 10 weeks old) from their new employee, they should take into account the previous pay and tax and also use tax code from it. If the new employee hasn't got a P45 they should complete a P46, and if they say it is their only or main job the employer should use the code 474L X (which doesn't take into account any previous pay, tax or the code they were on before, so no repayment would be generated) the tax office then processes the P46 and issues the employer with the previous pay and tax and the proper code.

However, a lot of employers (especially smaller ones) seem to apply an emergency tax code as a fail safe, even if they have the P45 pt 3, until they have received the official code and details from the tax office.
    Richeh wrote:
    I explained the situation with the guy that i've been told i have to wait for 6 weeks before i get my first wage. In this period of time i will have no money coming in whatsoever and that i need help. He's basically told me im not entitled to any benefits at all.

Well that isn't entirely true.

If you earn less than £36 a week you can get JSA topped up to the maximum.

You can apply for hardship loans, and you can apply for money to help you get back to work. But this is like trying to draw blood from a stone.

Can your parents not help you? Can your bank not help you?
    ****** wrote:

from what i understood by that, he will be earning. he just won't get a sniff of the money for 6 weeks.

it happens quite a lot, especially if you start towards the end of the month, you won't actually get paid until the end of the second month. it's a reet pain in the arse, cause you're employed, and you're earning, so you're not entitled to much.
    Ah its kinda worked out ok now....

I got a loan of a small amount from my dad. I found out that im in the middle of a pay period with Morrisons so i will get two weeks pay on the 5th Feb.

You can apply for hardship loans, and you can apply for money to help you get back to work. But this is like trying to draw blood from a stone.

Can your parents not help you? Can your bank not help you?

I was told i could apply for uhm, i forget the name of the loan but i'd rather not do that, which is why i chose to take up my dads offer instead. Easier to pay back etc.
    Job centres are by no doubt absolutely useless. They have been of no help to me whatsoever. All they've bothered to tell me when I go and see them is to go on Jobseekers Allowance, which I absolutely will not do. They're more hassle than they're worth. Proof that the system rewards failure and stupidity rather than hard work.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    They're more hassle than they're worth. Proof that the system rewards failure and stupidity rather than hard work.

I'll agree with that like.

Bunch of useless fuckers IMO!

Its like if i had waited another 2 months id have been eligble for finalcial help, so what does that say to anyone unemployed who gets offered a job but is short for cash.. It says dont fucking bother taking the job :yes:
    Richeh wrote:
    Its like if i had waited another 2 months id have been eligble for finalcial help, so what does that say to anyone unemployed who gets offered a job but is short for cash.. It says dont fucking bother taking the job :yes:
    The system is such that sometimes it is far better to remain unemployed and on benefits rather than in work. What kind of system would do that? A system which encourages people to ignore their responsibilities? Utterly daft, if you ask me.
    Too right. But i have sense and am actually willing to work unlike the other fuckwits who claim JSA... Funny how good decent folk who try to earn their way through life get treated like shit yet scummie fucks get all the goodness in life... How wanky is that
    Richeh wrote:
    Too right. But i have sense and am actually willing to work unlike the other fuckwits who claim JSA... Funny how good decent folk who try to earn their way through life get treated like shit yet scummie fucks get all the goodness in life... How wanky is that
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't claim any benefits myself. I depend on my parents at the moment, which I am not proud of. That's why I want a job, to earn my own money, to be doing something for myself.
    If you hate "sponging off your parents" so much then go on JSA.

If you don't go on JSA and get off your arse then obviously you don't care that much.

Going on JSA does generally mean that you have to get off your arse, at least a little bit. And I hardly call surving on £40 a week "rewarding laziness".

It's hard going into work when you don't have much money, but that's life. It's shit. It's not that hard: after all, you were OFFERED a loan but you chose not to accept it. They're not going to give you free money just because you've managed to get a job at Morrisons.
    Kermit wrote:
    If you hate "sponging off your parents" so much then go on JSA.

If you don't go on JSA and get off your arse then obviously you don't care that much.

Going on JSA does generally mean that you have to get off your arse, at least a little bit. And I hardly call surving on £40 a week "rewarding laziness".

It's hard going into work when you don't have much money, but that's life. It's shit. It's not that hard: after all, you were OFFERED a loan but you chose not to accept it. They're not going to give you free money just because you've managed to get a job at Morrisons.

I personally was not "offered" a loan. i was only told it might be an option. I'm sorry but i disagree i believe that they should be helping people who actually get off their arse to find work who then find that they cant support themselves, and in other cases possibly a family for a number of weeks. Their should be some kind of finacial help available which maybe doesnt even have to be a "loan" or whatever, but as you say thats life and their current system works for then so they wont change it
    Why should they help people by giving them free money just for getting a job?

Sorry, buit there are plenty of ways in which help is offered. There's hardship loans if pay packets are going to be delayed, there's WFTC for people in low-paid employment, etc etc. Even in the crappiest job you'll be earning significantlyu more than £40 a week, that is enough incentive I would say.

Though mostly I just get irritated by everyone always labelling anyone who finds it hard to find work through no fault of their own as "lazy" or "spongers". It was more directed at SG's mindless ranting than anything else.
    hehe no problem Kermit.
    Kermit wrote:
    Even in the crappiest job you'll be earning significantly more than £40 a week, that is enough incentive I would say. It was more directed at SG's mindless ranting than anything else.
    As I have said, Kermit, I don't pay much attention to my critics. But you have some valid points, I must admit.