Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Are UK DVD's different from American DVD's?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought the 3 seasons of Trigger Happy TV from amazon.uk (because that was the only place that sells it) and I tried to put it in my DVD player and even my playstation 2 and it says "Cannot play."

I just thought the sockets were different but I thought the DVD's were the same.... :confused:

And I was so fucking excited to watch it all too :o

Comments

• Options
    UK DVD's are coded in Region 2 format, whereas USA DVD's are Region 1. You'll need a multi-region DVD player to play it. It might work in your PC though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    UK DVD's are coded in Region 2 format, whereas USA DVD's are Region 1. You'll need a multi-region DVD player to play it. It might work in your PC though.

yeah you gotta watch the pc thing sometimes though they'll only let you change the regio 3 times then it locks so watch out for that
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    And apart from that, (most of) Europe uses the PAL signal for TVs, while in the USA they use NTSC. Even if your PS2/DVD player didn't have region lock, that would likely mean it can't display on your TV. But a computer monitor wouldn't have a problem.
  • Options
    DVD's from different parts of the world are given a region number and the idea is to stop people from one region buying DVD's from another, usually to stop us European buying cheap DVD's from the USA .. you must be the first person ever to try it the other way around :D

Should play in a PC although your DVD player in your PC is probabaly locked to one region and most computer DVD player only let you change it 5 times and then it locks for good, so don't mess with that.

See Link

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/dvdgenie.html