Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Microsoft Ad-Aware

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not a big fan of theirs although they seem to be improving, but I thought that you might be interested in the new Microsoft AwAware programme. It's available in BETA only, and free from their website.

I thoughjt that I would give it a try, although I already use Lavasoft Ad-Aware.

Microsfot found shitloads more which I hadn't realised I had, even though I run a weekly screen, have a firewall and Anti-Virus software.

Anyway, it's only gonna be free for a while so grab your copy while you can, if you are interested...

Comments

• Options
    THIS EVENING I HAVE CLEANED UP PC UPDATED STUFF removed defragged etc.
    spotless.
    just downloaded this thing and ran it ...found 41 things i didn't want!
  • Options
    Lavasofts Ad-aware ain't all that either. I use www.bulletproofsoft.com :).
  • Options
    The microsoft thing didn't find anything new here. But it's downloaded now anyway.

One of the useful bits is in the advanced tools it details all the autorun processes and lets you know if they are safe or not.
  • Options
    what site is the microsoft one from?
  • Options
    Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    Heres The Link To the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Site

Microsoft AntiSpyware
  • Options
    xoftspy is a great one to use as well :)
    Cheers for the heads up, i'll have a look.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Porky_Stalker
    Heres The Link To the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Site

Microsoft AntiSpyware

aa fantastic, thanks!
  • Options
    Running one or two anti-spyware programs isn't enough.

You NEED, at the very least, Lavasoft's Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy and Microsoft's "new" one. Each will find things that the others don't, so there's no point in listening to someone recommend one of them and sticking with it. With those three you'll have a pretty clean computer, but then you have to have SpywareBlaster to prevent a lot of it from ever coming back.

It's also worth checking out CWShredder and McAffee's Stinger, which search for specific hijackers / trojans respectively. They're easyily found on Google :)

Switching from Internet Explorer to a decent browser will also prevent a lot of crapware getting back on to your computer.

Mozilla
    Opera