Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

family planning clinics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone. I hope you can help. I have always been to my doctor for contraceptive advice in the past but don’t find him particularly helpful (he throws the pill at you as soon as you walk in the door). I am looking for someone who will discuss options with me, and thought about going to a family planning clinic. Thing is I don’t really know how to get in touch with one and what you have to do. I mean, do I have to get my medical records off my doctors and take them to the clinic and all that before I can make an appointment or can I just walk straight in? Also does anyone know where the nearest one to cambridge is? Any information would be gratefully received!
Thanx guys,
whizzy

Comments

• Options
    Google is a wonderful creation:

Clinics and advice at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge

shac (sexual health advice centre)
    The walk-in clinic is on Mon: 1200–1400.
    Out of hours: Depending on your problem, please contact your GP or family planning clinic.
    If it is an emergency, contact your local Accident and Emergency (casualty) Department (Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge Tel: 01223 245 151).

Contact shac: Clinic 1A, Department of Genitourinary Medicine (GUM), Addenbrooke's Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. Clinic reception Tel: 01223 217 774.

"Ask the shac nurse" (telephone advice line)
    Talk to a nurse confidentially about any problems before, instead of or after coming to shac.
    Contact: Tel: 01223 217 239 (Cambridge local rate call), during office hours (Mon–Fri: 0900–1700)

Sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your GP. Don't forget it's not always their fault that they have to rush through sensitive consultations - the surgeries are always busy.

HTH
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish:

Out of hours: Depending on your problem, please contact your GP or family planning clinic.

HTH[/QB]

thanx for your help kentish, it is much appreciated.
    as the quote above says out of hours contact FPC. how do i find out if there is one in cambridge?
    thanks again for giving me a contact point. hopefully they'll help put my mind at ease!
    whizzy xx
  • Options
    Try using TheSite's very own local search tool. It's called In Your Area, just choose the kind of help you're looking for, put in your postcode, and search.
    http://www.thesite.org/info/sex/

There's a search box on every main page in our Info section
  • Options
    Hi, there's a clinic in Cambridge opposite the Grafton Centre, look it up in the yellow pages. They were great to me when I went there, I was so happy when I came out as they had confirmed that I *wasn't* pregnant as I had feared! Good luck!
  • Options
    i know wat u mean bout cambridge. we get loadsa ppl come in to school and tell us they r from family planning clinics but u never seem to know where the roads they say r. its always 'oo they r near town luv it isnt that hard to find' but i have never seen ne of the ones in cambridge and dont think they r located very well.
    i did hear the one at addenbrooks is gd though and i have spoken to one of the women from there b4 wen she came to visit us in a pse lesson, se was really helpful, and professional but still friendly.
  • Options
    When you say they are not located well- would you rather have a clinic on the high street, bang between HMV and Gap, so every man and his dog can see you going in, or somewhere a little more discreet? All clinics are in the phone book. I managed to find the one in Cambridge and I don't even live there!
  • Options
    Don`t forget the good ol-fashioned phone book. They are all in!