Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Cancun

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone been? Likey? No likey?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yep, 98, likey.

Although we went to an all inclusive type place and went on organised day trips. It didn't seem like the sort of place that people just went off into town to do their own thing. The banks had armed security guards.
  • Options
    Aye I was thinking that. It looks like it's just beach, so am I right in saying that you'd have to get a taxi or a bus into Cancun town?

I wanna do the Scuba Diving. When I done it a few years back it was excellent, and Cancun seems like the perfect place to take it further. And the day trips seem good aswell, like the boat rides around the lagoons and stuff.

For that type of holiday you'd reccomend it then yeah?
  • Options
    Yeah, we had a fantastic time in Cancun. I think we walked to the bank, but it was just down the road - I can't remember going to Cancun town itself. Most of the hotels seemed to be all inclusive jobbies. We took coaches to the Aztec ruins and things.

It is excellent for watersports. We did canoeing and all that kind of stuff but I'm sure you could scuba there too. Nice clear water, although the lagoons are murky in parts. It's very popular with the Yanks.
  • Options
    I'm going in April. What's the shopping like out there Kentish? Cheap like it is in Florida? :)
  • Options
    Yeah so the most important questions.......Whats the night life like? Good clubs? Expensive drink? Cool chill out pubs?
  • Options
    I've heard its ok if you just want a beach type holiday, though do NOT go during the US spring break.

If you can go somewhere a bit more out of the way, I know someone who went to Belize and they thought it was amazing.
  • Options
    we were in mexico last summer. cancun is absolute crap. we were there for four days and regretted every minute of it. isla mujeres is much better. if you want scuba in mexico, cozumel is the place. cancun is your typical american resort. every one blows whistles, fog horns in your face to try to get you into their bars. touts everywhere. you cant get a moments peace. full of annoying tourists who think its great. i couldnt advise anyone to ever go there. beaches are ok. beer is expensive, twice the price of isla mujeres or acapulco. its very sprawled out so you'd need car / lots of taxis to go anywhere good. i wouldnt waste a holiday there - go to guatemala / belize or if thats a bit too much chilling out on isla mujeres was great.
  • Options
    I'm going in April. What's the shopping like out there Kentish? Cheap like it is in Florida? :)
    Dunno, but if you're going via Florida, you can shop there cheaply. Touristy things were cheap (got myself a bona fide sombrero :D) and I'm sure there are cheap clothes shops too, but that's not what we went for so I couldn't tell you.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Dunno, but if you're going via Florida, you can shop there cheaply. Touristy things were cheap (got myself a bona fide sombrero :D) and I'm sure there are cheap clothes shops too, but that's not what we went for so I couldn't tell you.

cool, thanks anyway. Actually went to florida last year so thats what made me think of it :)