Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Crash driving courses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mate wants to pass her driving test really quickly and is thinking of doin one of them crash course things. She said that you pay a set price and if you fail then they just keep putting you in for the test again until you pass, is that right??

Comments

• Options
    Some do yes.
  • Options
    Yeah, don't trust them to be honest, you don't get the digestion time and experience to really be safe.
  • Options
    Teach you a lot of bad habits to be honest, as the previous poster said you do not get enough time to digest all the information given to you.
  • Options
    Im doing an intensive course at the moment, I had lessons before years ago so basically it's just refreshing me on what I already know and getting a lot of practise in.

I wouldnt recommend it for someone who has never driven before though cos it can be too much to take in for someone who's never been behind the wheel before and you might end up looking like this :eek2:

:p
  • Options
    My mate is currently doing an intense course and shes very happy with it. She will be soon having her test, hopefully she will pass.
  • Options
    I'm so glad this has been posted as I was going to ask the same thing. I've pnly had 3 lessons-6 or so yrs ago at school and now I need to learn, now I'm able to afford it!

I'm a bit scared tho-the whole being in a car and not knowing what to do is worrying me-do they have simulators or anything? Or are there any good realistic car pc things-not racing but to learn to drive. So you get to know what you are doing before you go in the car?
  • Options
    D'you suppose there's a reason they're usually called intensive courses rather than crash courses? :chin:
  • Options
    BSM have simulators, which you can sit in and drive like a car, but since you get no real feedback from the road or whatever there is only so much that you can do in them.

Driving instructors are used to being with people who have never been in a car, it's their job. They will take you out in the car to an area with big wide roads and very little traffic and start you off easily just moving away and stuff, and gradually build you up.

Try not to be scared of it.
  • Options
    The actual learning of 'how to drive' is very simple & you could read how to out of a book. i.e. changing gear- put clutch down, select gear, clutch back up etc:p

It's the experience that you need & the only way you get that is by hours of driving in a real car on the road.

I knew the theory of how to drive a car before I even started lessons but it still took me 60 odd hours of lessons & 3 tests before I finally past.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy

It's the experience that you need & the only way you get that is by hours of driving in a real car on the road.

this is very true and is also why passing your test is only the start of really learning how to drive.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't realise that, which is why there are so many wankers on the roads these days.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    this is very true and is also why passing your test is only the start of really learning how to drive.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't realise that, which is why there are so many wankers on the roads these days.
    :yes: My driving instructor said to me when i passed, now you can go & really learn to drive!
  • Options
    Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, they are good in the right situation, depending on driving experiences.

My instructor runs them, and on a 1 week pass course passed his student with 2 minors.

Some places put you in for the test repeatedly, but most don't. You do the course, you do the test, if you fail the test its your responsibility whether you pay the 40 quid again or not.
  • Options
    I think they can be great for some people.
    They eliminate the problem that some people have of forgetting what youve learnt in between lessons when there is a big gap.
    My husband learnt through an intensive course. It took 6 days and passed first time. The person who tested him couldnt believe hed only been driving a week.
    The thing with him though was that he already had a motorbike licence from years back so already had roadsense, it was just the learning to control a car that he had to learn.