Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Finally! (and problem...)

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
The good (for me) news: After 4 mohts, I finally have a modem that works under Linux! (yes, jake0, it IS Fedora Core).

The problem is under WinXP: According to the manual, I have to install the drivers before the machine. OK so far.
Then I turn it off and connect the modem. OK too.
Booting Windows again, "new hardware detected", "installing driver". While this is happening, the screen suddenly freezes and the computer reboots. What the hell? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    No ideas??
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ouch.. I'm afraid I dont know much about this, but do the modem suppliers company have a free tech support phone line ?

you should give them a ring if they do :thumb:
  • Options
    Is it an external modem on the serial port (like an inverted VGA port) or is it an internal PCI?

I have an external Elsa thru serial and leave it plugged in at all times. When it is time to do my yearly reformat, I leave my modem plugged in. Windows will pick it up as an unknown device. I then pop in the CD and let the software set it up. Or if I'm feeling really clever, run the add-new-hardware wizard and point it to the .INF file on the CD.

If you're PC is rebooting in this fashion, then it might be time to claim the modem as faulty and arrange a returns.
  • Options
    The modem is external serial. It works pefectly in Linux, so it can't be a hardware problem.

I sent an email to the comany, and they told me that "for hyperthreading or multipple processor systems" I have to use a different driver which I downloaded, but Windows doesn't recognize it as suitable.
    And I just have a Pentium 4 processor...
  • Options
    Damn it! I would have never got that. It's amazing how little things like that can effect devices.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Damn it! I would have never got that. It's amazing how little things like that can effect devices.
    Huh?
  • Options
    This may seem like a stupid question... But is a Pentium 4 considered a hyperthreading processor or something?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    This may seem like a stupid question... But is a Pentium 4 considered a hyperthreading processor or something?

Many if not all of them are I think. I've only seen Xeon's actually in use though so I am not sure.