Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

customising Windows

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone tried nlite with great success?

I tried it ages ago and it seemed to work from what I rememebr but tried again yesterday and it failed several times saying install.exe is missing, as well as loads of other things, etc

Must have tried making 4 different versions, only one that worked was very minimal didn't have internet explorer or anything!!.

Comments

• Options
    i what way i use style xp thats good
  • Options
    Only heard really bad things about it. Really bad.

StyleXP is the best for basic customisation, but if you're a real pro you'll use BlackBox.

I'm running the brach called bbLean, and here is a screeny of my current theme.

Surprisingly, BlackBox actually loads faster than the default Windows shell and uses less system resources.

It's also way more customisable, with plugins allowing you to totally skin folders, folder toolbars, status bars... everything.
  • Options
    How portable is Windowxs XP?

I mean if it's installed in one machine and the HD is removed and planted in another machine what are the chances it will run, albeit need graphics card drivers, change, etc?

My cousin brought home the 20gb HD from a Pentium 2 that he uses at Uni to copy off some data but I reckon windows needs redoing on it!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Only heard really bad things about it. Really bad.

StyleXP is the best for basic customisation, but if you're a real pro you'll use BlackBox.

I'm running the brach called bbLean, and here is a screeny of my current theme.

Surprisingly, BlackBox actually loads faster than the default Windows shell and uses less system resources.

It's also way more customisable, with plugins allowing you to totally skin folders, folder toolbars, status bars... everything.

Both those program look like they change the way windows XP looks, whilst I was more talkign about not installing programs I don't need like Movie Maker, etc to save space and also reduce system overheads.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    whilst I was more talkign about not installing programs I don't need like Movie Maker

That's not customising :razz:
  • Options
    That's not customising :razz:

well what is it called then??
  • Options

The screenshots on that page look impressive. It looks like this program is a shell or gui replacement. I've used Tailsman before as as shell replacement and Window Blinds for gui replacement. These were both back on Windows 95.

The slight snag is that web site you've linked is that it doesn't tell you anything about the program. In fact, I can't even see the word "Black Box" written anywhere! Is there an official web site? Do you have to use WXP to run it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    well what is it called then??

Removing Windows components o_O
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    The screenshots on that page look impressive. It looks like this program is a shell or gui replacement.

It's a shell replacement. Waaay better than Litestep (shite), DesktopX, Tailsman etc.

There's plugins for skinning the GUI as well btw.
    The slight snag is that web site you've linked is that it doesn't tell you anything about the program.

In all honesty there isn't really much to tell. It does what it says on the tin - shell replacement.
    The slight snag is that web site you've linked is that it doesn't tell you anything about the program. In fact, I can't even see the word "Black Box" written anywhere!

BlackBox was the original program name on Linux. It was then ported to Windows under the name 'BB4Win'. Since then there's been two other versions: 'xoblite' (like an enhanced version of BB4Win) and bbLean (faster, more efficient and enhanced).

If you're going to check it out try the latter two branches.
    Is there an official web site? Do you have to use WXP to run it?

There's link buttons to each of the branches down the left hand side of the site I gave, and no, afaik it runs on Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP (no 95 though, sorry).
  • Options
    Found a program called LitePC

http://www.litepc.com/

Useful for removing extras from windows after they've been installed, although be nice not to have to install them inthe first place.