Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Blatant anti-Man Utd bias?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I presume, Mr Ferguson, that this stretches to perfectly good goals being disallowed by referees who are scared of 67,000 crowds?

I'd bet my mortgage that if a player in a red shirt had scored that goal it'd have stood.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol you know that it would have stood. Does match fixing still go on, cause i'd love to say that the assistant who made the call on this was fixing it.

At least now this has given them a right kick up the arse and goal line cameras are most likely going to be brought in now.
  • Options
    You're wrong Kermit- the match officials made the right decision: the ball did not cross the line.

carroll_gaffe2.jpg
  • Options
    A joke, Clattenburg is a truly appauling referee. How he made it onto the premiership list I'll never know, it says everything about the standard these days. I'll never forget him sending off young Michael Dawson at the City Ground a couple of years back in the playoff semi-final first leg. It was never a sending off, if a booking was warranted then that would of been pushing it. That booking made a big difference to the way the rest of the game panned out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    You're wrong Kermit- the match officials made the right decision: the ball did not cross the line.

carroll_gaffe2.jpg

How did we forget that! Manchester United = Rule's bent without question ;)

I love the picture though :lol:
  • Options
    Most blatant refereeing cock up I've seen in my life.

And it just happened to be at Old Trafford in the last minute of a game, in favour of the home team.

Oh what a coincidence :rolleyes:
  • Options
    man utd have always got the benefit of the doubt but i don't get it now cos they're shit.
  • Options
    Fucking anti-Man United bias appearing in this very thread... it's as if this hasn't happened ever before.

How many other "goals" do I need to mention?

Should I mention the Bolton shot which actually cost them a place in the Premier League and kept Evertone up, or the Chesterfield (?) one which cost them a place in the FA Cup Final... or do you want me to go further?

What about last nights blatant foul on Redknapp which led to the Fulham goal, should videos be used for all decisions?

Interesting to read the comments of Paul Durkin who said that he wouldn't have given it either. Not because it wasn't over the line, that isn't in dispute - even Fergie said as much - but because neither the Ref nor the Linesman could be positive that the ball had crossed the line, based on their viewpoint at the time. They may have thought that it was but a referee cannot award a goal unless they are sure that one has been scored.

And that, I'm afraid, is the crux of the matter. People make mistakes, based on their viewpoint at the time. It's part of football and video reviews will only help those professional clubs and it mean mean more trouble in every other area of the game. It's bad enough refereeing Sunday league games now, players already question decisions in every game. Now add a law which says that decisions can be questioned...
  • Options
    Love the picture Aladdin.

Was a blatent goal but I agree with MoK that if the liner couldn't see it was over there was no way he could have made the decision. You could tell it was a goal by the reaction of the fans behind the goal (head in hands) but the ref/liner can;t really make a decision based on this.

Apparantly they are looking into goal line technology which involves micro chips in the ball where they will be able to distinguish whether it has crossed the line or not. Apparently to be tried in the Carling Cup Final, unfortunately I can't find the document where I read this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Apparantly they are looking into goal line technology which involves micro chips in the ball where they will be able to distinguish whether it has crossed the line or not. Apparently to be tried in the Carling Cup Final, unfortunately I can't find the document where I read this.

FIFA are looking at several options next month and have promised to use the "microchip" technology at a game in Cardiff. Sepp Blatter has denied that this would be the Carling Cup... :confused:

I don't like it because the rules of the game are supposed to be the same for all. So it shouldn't matter whether you play on Hackney Marshes or Old Trafford, the rules will be the same. Although it looks like money will mean that this changes.

The, for me, is a really sad move. I blame pundits to an extent. To constant griping about referee mistakes, over inflating them to be match deciders whilst only showing a bad miss by a striker once...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I don't like it because the rules of the game are supposed to be the same for all. So it shouldn't matter whether you play on Hackney Marshes or Old Trafford, the rules will be the same. Although it looks like money will mean that this changes.
    The rules aren't going to change really though, all it will add is technology that the likes of me playing saturday and sunday football won't be able to afford. Same with cricket, pro's get 3rd umpires, sunday/saturday league cricketers don't.

Also the cost of error for me on a saturday, which is still county amateur level, is nothing really, we play for the enjoyment, and actually pay to play. In the proffesional game the cost of such an error could be worth thousands and thousands of pound. Look at the end of the season that extra 3 points Spurs should have had could be the difference of a couple of places in the league which is major amounts of money which will affect all clubs (but even more so the smaller clubs).
  • Options
    I understand that the financial consequences can be high, but firstly we have to remember that it's a sport and secondly that bad decisions affect every team at some point in the season. United had a couple of penalty appeals turned down, Liverpool should have had a penalty against Chelsea and the week later had one given against them.

The decisions, and the errors, are part of the game whether that is the keeper, defence, strikers, referee, linesman, or even the team manager. It seems that, as usual, it is the ref who is the scapegoat for the game.

No-one has mentioned that Tottenham had another 89 mins and 55 seconds in which to win that games. They failed. The referee misses one incident and it becomes the turning point of the whole game.

That is my main complaint about the whole process. Technology changes the game, it makes referee to be seen as fallible. the rules of the game say that they aren't. And if you cannot trust the ref to give a goal, then how can you trust him to judge whether the ball has gone out for a corner or goal kick, how can you trust him to judge foul... or any decision in the game.

The rules are currently very simple. The referee is always right, even when you disagree. It's why there is a dissent law. technology questions that.
  • Options
    I think this is a totally different situation to the ref not believing someone has commited a foul. Video replays will never IMO be brought in to "ref" the game for you.

This is goal line technology that they are considering, nothing was more of a blatent goal which spurs scored but the ref and liner weren't in a position to see it and therefore can't "guess" if it was a goal and then make a decision, they quite rightly didn't give the goal because they were unsure. Can't see why anyone could be against eradicating this massive error from the proffesional game with goal line technology.

Also in a corner/free-kick situation when the penalty box is rammed with players, the ref and liner aren't guaranteed to see balls crossing the line etc.. with some of the goal mouth scrambles you see, the ref and liner could never be 100% sure and will therefore be guessing the decision.

Its being said something about 30 seconds for the video to make a decision and if a decision can't be made then play continues (think it was Fergie on about it actually), it takes longer for a free-kick / corner / throw-in / substitution / dead ball (think you get the picture :) ) so this isn't going to hold play up for any length of time and if the ball crosses the line a goal will be rightly given.

Think it will be a step in the right derection and will also stop refs "not seeing it" at Old Trafford :p
  • Options
    This is goal line technology that they are considering

It's the first step in a process. Like I said, the assumption from this is taht we can no longer trust the ref to make this decision on his own and that automatically questions every other decision he makes.

How long before we start looking a penalities - for example. Often they are blatant either way.
    nothing was more of a blatent goal which spurs scored but the ref and liner weren't in a position to see it and therefore can't "guess" if it was a goal and then make a decision, they quite rightly didn't give the goal because they were unsure. Can't see why anyone could be against eradicating this massive error from the proffesional game with goal line technology.

Tiago's hand ball was blatant, remember Henchoz in the cup final? Blatant?

The whole premise is that we have to accept that the referee cannot see everything and sometimes he will get the decision wrong. But it's not intentional, it's part of the game.
    Think it will be a step in the right derection and will also stop refs "not seeing it" at Old Trafford :p

Remember, you are talking about Old Trafford. The referee will just over-rule :p
  • Options
    It's the first step in a process. Like I said, the assumption from this is taht we can no longer trust the ref to make this decision on his own and that automatically questions every other decision he makes.
    Dis-agree with this because of what I read.......
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4148155.stm
    "We've drawn a distinction between video technology - about which there was never really a serious discussion - and goal-line technology," a FA spokesman told BBC Sport.
    "We have no plans for any kind of introduction of video technology. The implications in terms of interrupting the game and so on are too much.

I just believe the ball being 3 mile over the line is a massive mistake compared to being conned into giving penalties due to a diving player etc..
  • Options
    I just believe the ball being 3 mile over the line is a massive mistake compared to being conned into giving penalties due to a diving player etc..

And that's the problem, too many people agree.

Yet both can affect the result of the game, missing a blatant penalty can be just a decisive as missing a clear goal. It just doesn't get as much media focus.

Even if it does involve United.
  • Options
    MoK, notice how all those decisions benefitted the "big" club against the smaller one? Especially the disgraceful decisoon by Elleray, the bald posh cunt.

Funny that.

As for goal-line technology, I'm unsure. The money involved means that stupid mistakes- the linesman shouldn't have been so far behind play that he missed it- cost millions; that relegation for Bolton almost bankrupted them. At that level it's more than a sport.

As for my anti-United bias, I hardly make a secret of it. But it doesn't mean that United aren't given preferential treatment; just about anyone who isn't a Red can see that United get away with things that smaller clubs wouldn't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    MoK, notice how all those decisions benefitted the "big" club against the smaller one? Especially the disgraceful decisoon by Elleray, the bald posh cunt.

Sheff Utd vs Aston Villa today. Clear offside.

I'm sorry but your conspiracy died instantly

Besides, Everton bigger than Bolton?
    As for my anti-United bias, I hardly make a secret of it. But it doesn't mean that United aren't given preferential treatment; just about anyone who isn't a Red can see that United get away with things that smaller clubs wouldn't.

Nah, you just use the blonkers.

This event wouldn't have been blown up so much if it hadn't been United potentially losing at OT. You know it. I know it.

I'm not sating it wouldn't have been big, but this is OTT
  • Options
    Nah, you just use the blonkers.

That typo made me laugh.

It's rare that decisions go against United, domestically at least. UEFA don't like United, but that's to be expected.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    That typo made me laugh.

I only just noticed it as I scanned down to she what United-rant you were on now :p

I laughed to.

Me and my damned typos...
    It's rare that decisions go against United, domestically at least. UEFA don't like United, but that's to be expected.

I'm not so sure, I certainly think that United get their fair share of shite decisions against them. Unfortunately because people don't like them they only see the one which go for us. It's the blinkers thing. It's like the Christians who see blasphemy in Tussauds nativity play. They are looking for something to complain about...

We certainly have the things which go for us blown up more than anyone else...

And no, UEFA don't like us. But then they don't like the English at all...
  • Options
    buyus this buy us that