Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

annoyed rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Today I went into a well known games retailer and bought a game in the sale. Took it home only to find there is no installation key anywhere on the box, in the manual etc etc. Just cos I got it in the sale I still expect stuff that works. Plus apparently this sop is iffy about taking PC games back.

Anyone had any similar sales mishaps

Phoenix

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well they have to take it back if they cant give you the missing part.
    Its not fit for the purpose it was bought for, are the exact words you need to say.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: annoyed rant
    Originally posted by Rainbow Phoenix
    Hi

    Today I went into a well known games retailer and bought a game in the sale. Took it home only to find there is no installation key anywhere on the box, in the manual etc etc. Just cos I got it in the sale I still expect stuff that works. Plus apparently this sop is iffy about taking PC games back.

    Anyone had any similar sales mishaps

    Phoenix

    Take it back, they've got to take it back,
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aye. Consumer rights and all that.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes, trading standards, etc.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    common sense only works once you have killed all the inferior ones
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Grr shop/shop people are annoying. For example last week I went into Accessorize sale found this cute brown leather bag with and £8 price tag on it. Le Bargain! I thought. Get to the till she types in the code and goes this is actually £20 I said oh I thought it was £8 because it says so on the tag and she went no. and dumped the bag down. clearly she wasn't trained in consumer rights and all that jazz:impissed:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    Grr shop/shop people are annoying. For example last week I went into Accessorize sale found this cute brown leather bag with and £8 price tag on it. Le Bargain! I thought. Get to the till she types in the code and goes this is actually £20 I said oh I thought it was £8 because it says so on the tag and she went no. and dumped the bag down. clearly she wasn't trained in consumer rights and all that jazz:impissed:

    if the tag was attached, i'm pretty sure they're legally obliged to sell you it at the marked price. or you can have them down for false advertising.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Girl_gunner - They h ave to sell you the goods at the price they are labelled at even if it was mistakenly labelled
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Rainbow Phoenix
    Girl_gunner - They h ave to sell you the goods at the price they are labelled at even if it was mistakenly labelled

    there are rules, i think.

    i don't think it applies to stick on stickers because you could quite happily have swapped it yourself.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no it was a hand-written tag attached with a plastic thing with the code for it. I thought I was right but she was bitchy and i'm not good at arguing my point
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I work in bay trading and we've currently got our sale on. We go by the "yellow sticker rule", if the original price has a lil yellow sticker on it, thats what we sell it at. Otherwise every tom dick n henrietta would come in and put cheap sale tickets on expensive stuff.
    "but yez have it fer a fiver" :mad:

    Sometimes we do get pissed off dealing with snappy customers who demand that we sell that at that price, we're only paid to do our job, not take the public's shit. Us sales assistants are only human


    :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Re: annoyed rant
    Originally posted by Rainbow Phoenix
    Today I went into a well known games retailer and bought a game in the sale. Took it home only to find there is no installation key anywhere on the box, in the manual etc etc. Just cos I got it in the sale I still expect stuff that works. Plus apparently this sop is iffy about taking PC games back.
    The same thing happened to me!! Except that it wasn't a sale. Is this game Runaway: A road adventure? They forgot to put the card with the number in many boxes, but if you email the company they'll tell you one that works.
    Even if this isn't your game, you have nothing to lose by emailing them...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    or you can have them down for false advertising.

    :crazyeyes

    At work tonight this guy came up and asked for two sausages. Tonight we had jumbo sausages, ratehr than the smaller ones. I expalined that although on the illuminated board it says two sausages for 90p, you only get one jumbo sausage for the same price.

    I then suffer a torrent of abuse, and get told that he's going to trading standards and complaining about me to head office unless the sign gets changed by tomorrow. I givehim his chips, to which I get a sarcastic reply of "give us more chips, it's not primary school".

    Arsehole.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    if the tag was attached, i'm pretty sure they're legally obliged to sell you it at the marked price. or you can have them down for false advertising.

    No, they don't. Not at all.

    They make an "invitation to treat", i.e the price on the tag. You make an offer when you take the item to the till, and then they can either accept that offer or reject it. In theory they don't have to sell you any product at all, they can change the price at will, but if they cannot change the price and demand more money off you if they sell you it at the reduced price.

    Basically, if they cock up the price they don't have to sell it at that price. As Amazon proved when they cocked up and had brand new laptops available for £25.

    If they regularly mark items "wrongly", or advertise "incorrect" prices, and then demand extra at the till then Trading Standards would be interested to know, but mistakes are allowed and legally they are under no obligation.

    ETA: to answer the original question. If they sell you a faulty product or a product that is unsuitable for the use advertised, then they are obliged to exchange the damaged product OR offer a refund. You'll find that they'll just give you a new CD for the game.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, they don't. Not at all.

    They make an "invitation to treat", i.e the price on the tag. You make an offer when you take the item to the till, and then they can either accept that offer or reject it. In theory they don't have to sell you any product at all, they can change the price at will, but if they cannot change the price and demand more money off you if they sell you it at the reduced price.

    Basically, if they cock up the price they don't have to sell it at that price. As Amazon proved when they cocked up and had brand new laptops available for £25.

    yup, they can remove the item from sale if they (or a silly customer replacing price tickets) have messed up. certain shops will sell it at the lower price just to be nice but please don't expect them to... however, as she was being a twat i would've waited for her outside work and kicked her up the chuff.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    certain shops will sell it at the lower price just to be nice but please don't expect them to...

    maybe i've just always worked at 'nice' shops :p

    i've always been told that if the tag is attached (tagged clothes) or has the product description on (basically if it's the shop's mistake) then we had to sell the item at the marked price.

    if it's a sticker, or one of those hanger tags the we didn't, on the basis the customer had probably moved it themselves.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    :crazyeyes

    At work tonight this guy came up and asked for two sausages. Tonight we had jumbo sausages, ratehr than the smaller ones. I expalined that although on the illuminated board it says two sausages for 90p, you only get one jumbo sausage for the same price.

    I then suffer a torrent of abuse, and get told that he's going to trading standards and complaining about me to head office unless the sign gets changed by tomorrow. I givehim his chips, to which I get a sarcastic reply of "give us more chips, it's not primary school".

    Arsehole.

    lol I was once reported for refusing to authorise a refund from this old tramp, trying to give me A LENS off a pair of sunglasses, saying "ill report you if ye dont give me my money back" I couldn't, and when she asked me where our head office was, she didnt believe me Luton was an actual city.
    "Yer makin it up ye cheeky cow, Ill have you...whats your name?!"

    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ring the makers first and as where the key should be
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i've always been told that if the tag is attached (tagged clothes) or has the product description on (basically if it's the shop's mistake) then we had to sell the item at the marked price.

    Company policy, 'tis all. Tesco give it to you for free if it has been priced incorrectly and they charge you more, but they only do it for good PR. I doubt they would on a £500 computer...
Sign In or Register to comment.