Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

PS2/Xbox - how long?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The successors to both of these consoles are being unveiled this year, if the rumours are true, and if the other rumours are true, Xbox 2, or whatever it will be called, could be out in North American as soon as Autumn this year.

However, I'm still considering buying a new console now. I need to think about the long-term though. Will they keep producing PS2 games once its successor comes out as with the Playstation? How about the online communities? Is there are Network Play community at all, or is it purely gaming?

I'm not asking this in a "which one's better" kind of way. I just want to know which one people think I'll get the most out of in the next....1 1/2-2 years.

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    ps2 games guaranteed by sony to be made until 2010

Proper games or Dancing Stage Turbo XL Carribean Mix 27?
  • Options
    the graphics on GTA-SA and THUG 2 look a bit dated, which is weird cuz FFX looks fantastic :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Come on, I'm not knocking the PS2 but do you really think they will still be making games for it in five years? Even a great game like San Andreas looks blocky and slows down like a bitch compared to modern PC titles, how are the games going to compare in 5 years?

Bottom line is Doc that the internal hard drive means that as PC games continue to grow as the best and most advanced platform the xbox will have the best chance of keeping up. Plus the downloadable extra content is nice (Ninja Gaiden especially)

More titles are likely to be multi format or xbox exclusives as well, so go with that.

On the other hand you could probably pick up Soul Caliber with a dreamcast and two controls for fuck all on ebay - sod long lasting that's the best consoles ever were.
  • Options
    You cannot beat a PC for gaming. Consoles come and go and the PC and it's games have never gone away. Your best bet if to get a decent PC with a good processer, ram and gfx card tbh. I have an XBox which is pretty good but a PC is still the #1 for gaming and will be for many years in my opinion. Games consoles are a little waste of money to be honest because you buy a brand new console and 2 years later a newer and better one arrives and then the old one with it's games a left standing in the wind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    You cannot beat a PC for gaming. Consoles come and go and the PC and it's games have never gone away. Your best bet if to get a decent PC with a good processer, ram and gfx card tbh. I have an XBox which is pretty good but a PC is still the #1 for gaming and will be for many years in my opinion. Games consoles are a little waste of money to be honest because you buy a brand new console and 2 years later a newer and better one arrives and then the old one with it's games a left standing in the wind.

and i suppose upgrading a pc every 12-18 months to keep up with the latest games is really that different from buying a new console every 5 years (the average 'shelf life' of a console) ?

don't get me wrong, i'm in no way dissing the pc for gaming but your argument is flawed...
  • Options
    but the thing is, not all console games are released on PC, or usually delayed a few months before a pc convertion comes out (eg Halo, GTA-VC). Plus the console lends itself to 2player games better with control pads and the like.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    and i suppose upgrading a pc every 12-18 months to keep up with the latest games is really that different from buying a new console every 5 years (the average 'shelf life' of a console) ?

don't get me wrong, i'm in no way dissing the pc for gaming but your argument is flawed...

A gig of ram and a decent chip and gfx card will play loads of games.. I bet you could still play a lot of new games in 2 years with the above.