Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Graphics cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what would be a good graphics card for around £70 my computer specs are

amd sempron 3000+
512mb ram

i want to be able to play games like half life 2

cheers if ya all can help

Comments

• Options
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=4214006840&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=74655

I think that will be good for your money, though it is starting to show its age a little now, it will run half life 2 I'm pretty sure. If there are top notch games coming out though over the next year or two you may have to turn the settings down, but it's still a great card.

Although for the processer you have, if you want to really get your moneys worth then why not splash out on an Nvidia fx 6800 I think, they're good supposedly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

Although for the processer you have, if you want to really get your moneys worth then why not splash out on an Nvidia fx 6800 I think, they're good supposedly.

The 6800 cards are high end and may be too expensive. 6600 are mid range and may be more suited to this person's budget.

I have the 6800 GT and it's very good.
  • Options
    Inno3D 256MB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 LE Video Card

www.kelkoo.co.uk

costs £68

i have it and it doesnt run everything at best quality in half life, but you can give it a nice jig with overclocking and works wonders

or works perfectly spot on as it is anyway
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    Inno3D 256MB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 LE Video Card

www.kelkoo.co.uk

costs £68

i have it and it doesnt run everything at best quality in half life, but you can give it a nice jig with overclocking and works wonders

or works perfectly spot on as it is anyway

i was looking at this card in pc world today but it was £100

can some one also answer what the diff between ati and navidia
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by burt

NVidia = Win

ATi = Lose
  • Options

look at www.kelkoo.co.uk

buy it off the net will be cheaper, pc world is a rip off
  • Options

They're different companies. Depending on the market, at any given time, one is better than the other. Right now, mid-range cards are best with ATI, whereas top-range cards are best with NVidia. At least that is my opinion. It all comes down to opinion in the end :p

Same as do you prefer Pentium or Athlon (though Athlons are actually better :p)
  • Options

PC world may be cheaper online than in the shop.

ATI and NVIDIA are different chipset designers. The chipset is the core bits of the card, then different manufacturers will either copy the reference design for each card or add their own fancy bits to them to make them a bit different.
  • Options
    look on websites like

www.overclockers.co.uk - very reliable but slightly pricey for online but cheaper than shops
    www.ebuyer.co.uk

look at top of screen graphics card here for example

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/FX5900_Series.html

only £108 + p&p
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG

I got the FX 5600. Tried overclocking that with the bundled software ("Winfox") and the games started to freeze. Clock it back to normal and the games worked o.k. again. Are there any recommended parameters to use or is it just trial-and-error?

The thing about Kelkoo.co.uk is that every time I run a search for computer componants, Kelkoo shows up as the top result. I therefore ignore it.

I always use www.computerprices.co.uk to compare prices now.
  • Options
    I don't overclock myself, but I think that the general advice is to keep going upwards until you experience glitches or crashing and then drop the speeds down by a few percent.

Or something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    I don't overclock myself, but I think that the general advice is to keep going upwards until you experience glitches or crashing and then drop the speeds down by a few percent.

Or something.

normally you can do up to a 30% clock speed boost if youre really lucky

normally 15% works alright though

for geforce cards, i use the coolbits regedit to enable me to overclock from display properties ---> settings
    > advanced
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    I got the FX 5600. Tried overclocking that with the bundled software ("Winfox") and the games started to freeze. Clock it back to normal and the games worked o.k. again. Are there any recommended parameters to use or is it just trial-and-error?

The thing about Kelkoo.co.uk is that every time I run a search for computer componants, Kelkoo shows up as the top result. I therefore ignore it.

I always use www.computerprices.co.uk to compare prices now.

the reason kelkoo somes up is because it comes up with everything, its a pretty good price comparing site
  • Options
    Placebo,

I've got as far as display properties, settings, advanced. I now get this page as shown below. Do you know where the Coolbits Regedits are on here? Thanks.

Gfxp.gif
  • Options
    this can invalidate warranties, and take it slowly in increasing like 5/10mhz at a time and if you notice glitches turn it down
    Overclocking GeForce cards:

You can overclock all NVidia cards from within their newest drivers by doing a simple Registry edit to enable "Coolbits". Simply open the Windows Registry Editor by typing "regedit" in the Run Menu of Windows. Then open the following directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global

Right click on the "Global" key and create a new key called NVTweak. Next, right-click on the NVTweak key and create a new DWORD value named "Coolbits." Adjust the value of Coolbits to "3" by double clicking on it and entering "3" in the value data field.

Quit regedit and reboot the system. Now a new tab called "hardware options" will appear in the GeForce Additional Properties menu. (display properties > settings > advanced > GeForce> additional properties > hardware options). Go there to change the core and memory clock speeds.