Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

charity song for tsunami victims

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4140133.stm

"Former Boyzone singer Ronan Keating may also take part, if a studio can be found close to where he is holidaying in Switzerland."

how considerate
:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    those middle of the roaders aye!
    i have a song here by tom waits called ...missery is the river of the world (everybody row) ...which would do perfectly ...and give people a chance to hear a genius at work.
  • Options
    Ronan Keating is a cunt anyway.

I'm surprised Elton John hasn't released a version of Candle in the Wind yet.
  • Options
    people dying and losing everything in their lives and ronan keating wont cut two days out of his holiday? bloody disgraceful.
    the stars seem to think everyone should reshedule their lives round them.
    i just hope they wont rely on the aid of people when it is needed these "stars" have enough contacts and funds to be able to pull together and provide assistance.
  • Options
    sir cliff could save us the missery by simply writting out a cheque for a million quid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    sir cliff could save us the missery by simply writting out a cheque for a million quid.

I was thinking that.

Or he could have his skeleton used as a raft.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I

he could have his skeleton used as a raft.
    that filled my head with some very strange images indeed!
  • Options

I'm surprised Elton John hasn't released a version of Candle in the Wind yet.
    give it time.
  • Options
    why do we need a song. jesus.

people are donating, giving clothes and supplies. people are volunteering.

£60 million, last time i watched the news, just donated by the british public. and just as i was gaining faith in the milk of human kindness, of course, word of a song.

i thought this was quite sweet though. it's so simple. everyone gives what they can spare, and lo and behold, song or not, we raise a buttload of money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

well whats the point of an international disaster if the record companies cant cash in on it?
    I think its great what Linkin park are doing though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

people are donating, giving clothes and supplies. people are volunteering.

£60 million, last time i watched the news, just donated by the british public. and just as i was gaining faith in the milk of human kindness, of course, word of a song.

i thought this was quite sweet though. it's so simple. everyone gives what they can spare, and lo and behold, song or not, we raise a buttload of money.

I agree! We're doing fine without some crap cover from these publicity-hungry vultures. If there were to be a song though, it should be sung by orphans of the Tsunami disaster. I would go out and buy that.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I think its great what Linkin park are doing though.

Whats that then? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    I agree! We're doing fine without some crap cover from these publicity-hungry vultures. If there were to be a song though, it should be sung by orphans of the Tsunami disaster. I would go out and buy that.
    I wouldnt. Id feel that was in poor taste.
    Like singing for your supper.
  • Options

it would a bit.

people are giving because they care. in HUGE numbers. this doesn't happen everyday, so why spoil it?
  • Options

I suppose you're right. I just thought it would be a treat for them to get to record a song, rather than letting these pampered celebrities have all the fun.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    Whats that then? :confused:

Erm, try clicking on the link Kaffrin supplied earlier. :p
  • Options
    the only way a charity single would work in this case, would be if the printers, the producers, everyone on every level did it as a good will gesture, and only took no money from it. but like thats gonna happen.

though i hear Trent Reznor is thinking of possibly donating the funds of the first single from with teeth........
  • Options
    all the premiership clubs donated £50,000 before like the board members and that donated as well

was at charlton yesterday and they raised another 50k from players and staff. they also appealed greatly to the fans to donate too.

i thought that was really nice as usually i have them down as money grabbing swines!
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    the only way a charity single would work in this case, would be if the printers, the producers, everyone on every level did it as a good will gesture, and only took no money from it. but like thats gonna happen.

That's pretty much what happened with Band Aid.

Record shops certainly wouldn't mind selling the single at zero profit because they know people will most likely come in to buy that single and maybe buy others at the same time on which they do make a profit.

Bob Geldolf got the Record from an idea in his head to something on the shelves in a week .. totally unheard of before with most Xmas single being planned for around 9 weeks in advance as a minimum.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    That's pretty much what happened with Band Aid.

but thats not going to happen again since it's only been a month since band aid 20 came out.......
  • Options
    I think its a nice gesture and anything that can help is good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

Indeed if all of these people have so much money why do they not just donate a few million :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzo
    Indeed if all of these people have so much money why do they not just donate a few million :|

Because compassion doesn't make a rich man :p
  • Options
    I was watching a show (can't remember which one it was) but they were talking about the whole tsunami disaster and turns out, some jackass in a hotel nearby the whole disaster makes a scene about not having Champagne. :rolleyes: Over a hundred thousand people died with the toll rising and this bastard starts bitching about Champagne?? What the hell is the world coming to!?!? I know that hotels are trying to stay in business because of the whole thing but it wouldn't kill [no pun] some people to be a little considerate. [/end of rant]
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzo

Easy for you to say, and how do you know they don't donate anyway?

I'd be amazed if anybody on here gives as much money (percentage wise) out of their wages than certain pop stars do. And before anybody gives me sanctimonious bullshit about how they can easily afford it, you have to remember that they're under absolutely no obligation to give a penny.

Pisses me off how people seem to think just because someone happens to be in the public eye that they'll be any less genuinely touched and willing to help than Joe Bloggs on the street.
  • Options
    how about we pay them not to sing?
  • Options
    *votes for a certain Manic Street Preachers song*

I see the ghost of Band Aid strikes again. Something happens and some publicity seeking no-mark decides that he can resurrect his career by putting a charity single out. First in the queue to join are those people "overlooked" by Band Aid 20 because they were crap.

People are giving enough without some shite song, so give it a rest...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    *votes for a certain Manic Street Preachers song*

Oddly enough, I couldn't get that song out my head after it...
  • Options
    Oddly enough, I couldn't get that song out my head after it...

Oh, I've had a few suggestions for a charity song...

Theme from "The Beach"
    Sailing
    The Tide is High...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Oh, I've had a few suggestions for a charity song...

Theme from "The Beach"
    Sailing
    The Tide is High...

My Mum thinks 'row row row the boat' :\
  • Options
    Not Enya's Sail Away?

Cometh the disaster, cometh the tasteless jokes.