Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being overweight and the Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apparently if you're overweight/obese, you have a 70% bigger chance of the Pill fucking up and not working for you causing unwanted pregnancy.

Great. I wanted to go back on it cos my skin is flaring up, my period pains are immense and for extra contreceptive reasons as I'd like the option to have sex without a condom.

According to the government, I am obese. I'm 5"9 or 10 and I'm a size 16/18.

Has anyone else been put off taking it because of this story?

Comments

• Options
    I would say that for your height youre probably not even that much overweight, let alone obese.
    I dont think they mean people like you.
  • Options
    Possibly not, but still, tis worrying, as I don't completely trust the Pill as it is.
  • Options
    I am classed as obese :( but i don't think i look obese just fat. I am taking the pill again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I am classed as obese :(

i guess you're going by BMI, or those weird charts. they're fucked up.

they completely ignore things like build and muscle tone. it told me that for my height, 9 and a half stone would be overweight. ridiculous, much?
  • Options
    I thought the same thing when I read it-that it was slightly concening as I am overweight. But then I thought, hey, I've been fine on it for over 2 years now, and my doctor would have warned me when i went (very recently) to get it if she thought it was a serious problem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i guess you're going by BMI

Yeah, so did the nurse who weighed me grr.