Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eurasia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With the introduction of Turkey into the EU recently being brought onto the political agenda, I've realised that certain countries claim to be in Europe, which I was sure were in Asia.
For example I've always considered Turkey to be an Asian country.
Israel, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan and Armenia, have all also claimed to be, or have been placed under the continent of Europe when clearly they are Asian countries.....
Even Russian involvement with Europe is sceptical, with the "sia" of Russia heightening its involvement with Asia and not Europe, as well as it covering almost half of the continent.
I thought the days of colonialism were over, but with Europe on an Eastern mission, it seems I was very wrong.
Is anyone else even midly confused about where the "West" starts and the "East" stops? :s
Michael
All the interesting people are missing from heaven.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, but how on earth can some discrepancies over the categorisation of certain countries into continents be considered colonialism?
  • Options
    Well, the EU have the final say on who enters Europe and who doesn't. It is a selective desicion made by the EU as a whole.

Colonialism : A policy by which a nation maintains or extends its control over foreign dependencies.

The EU effectively would be running Turkey as the country holds no real international power and obviously wants to join Western Culture, otherwise it wouldn't have asked to be considered, and so it must agree with the majority EU votes.
    Therefore, I think that colonialism is the correct naming of this. However, if you disagree, then maybe instead of scrutinising my use of vocabulary, you should go post something productively.
    Michael
    All the interesting people are missing from heaven.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mipada
    Well, the EU have the final say on who enters Europe and who doesn't. It is a selective desicion made by the EU as a whole.

Europe does not consist exclusively of the European Union. The issue of whether a country considers itself part of a geographical area has nothing to do with political entities like the EU. France is a country in Europe because it resides on land considered part of the geographical continent known as Europe, not because of it's membership of the EU.
    Colonialism : A policy by which a nation maintains or extends its control over foreign dependencies.

The EU effectively would be running Turkey as the country holds no real international power and obviously wants to join Western Culture, otherwise it wouldn't have asked to be considered, and so it must agree with the majority EU votes.
    Therefore, I think that colonialism is the correct naming of this. However, if you disagree, then maybe instead of scrutinising my use of vocabulary, you should go post something productively.
    Michael

If Turkey joins the EU, which is by no means inevitable it would be an entirely voluntary process. The EU is not a nation and it's members are not dependancies. The UK is not a colony of the EU, nor would Turkey be if it joined.

In your initial post you also mentioned Israel, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan and Armenia, and yet none of those are members of the EU or are there any discussions on their potential membership so your tenuous labelling of the EU as a colonial power doesn't extend to them either so how is there any colonialism involved with respect to them?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The only sure thing (for me at least) is that Turkey is in no way a European country. If it enters the EU, then the EU has to change its name.
    And, as far as I know, most people don't consider Turkey "ready" to be in the EU even if it was in Europe, because the country doesn't yet meet the standards the EU has set for its member countries.
    Finally, they say that the USA government is pressing the EU into accepting Turkey, because of their NATO bases there which would mean the USA would have one (more?) country in the EU that they can easily control.
  • Options
    I don't mind how accepting other countries into the continent.
    Give it a few generations and Eurasia will become the UBER continent.
  • Options
    Give it a few generations and Eurasia will become the UBER continent

Nope.
  • Options
    Yeah...we will.
    We'll absorb Russia, Asia e.t.c. then we'll nuke the USA and China and we'll be on top.

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    The only sure thing (for me at least) is that Turkey is in no way a European country. If it enters the EU, then the EU has to change its name.
    And, as far as I know, most people don't consider Turkey "ready" to be in the EU even if it was in Europe, because the country doesn't yet meet the standards the EU has set for its member countries.
    Finally, they say that the USA government is pressing the EU into accepting Turkey, because of their NATO bases there which would mean the USA would have one (more?) country in the EU that they can easily control.

You do know part of Turkey is in Europe?
  • Options
    Turkey is an odd case because it's major city, Istanbul, is in Europe, but its capital city Ankara is in Asia. Turkey can justifiably claim to be BOTH European and Asian; after all, the Ottoman Empire stretched across vast swathes of Eastern Europe in the 19th century.

Europe is traditionally seen to stretch as far as the Ural mountains; the two major cities in Russia, Moscow and St Petersburg (formerly Leningrad) are therefore in Europe.

Israel is not a part of political Europe. It terms of sport and culture Israel is European- it is a member of UEFA and Eurovision, for instance- but that has more to do with the rest of the Middle East wanting nothing to do with them than any EU or Israeli agenda.

You are in danger of confusing European membership with membership of UEFA, tbh, with countries such as Georgia and Azerbijan. Though Georgia and Azerbaijan are the right side of the Caspian Sea to be classified as Europe.

Looking at a world atlas would tell you all this.
  • Options
    In the case of Europe & Asia, the continents do not have clear geographical limits anyway (as opposed to Australia or the Americas for instance). The border between Europe owns much more to politics than geography.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    You do know part of Turkey is in Europe?
    This:
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    In the case of Europe & Asia, the continents do not have clear geographical limits anyway (as opposed to Australia or the Americas for instance). The border between Europe owns much more to politics than geography.
    coupled with the fact that the part you're talking about is very small for the country's size, is enough for an answer.
  • Options
    Re: Eurasia
    Originally posted by Mipada
    Is anyone else even midly confused about where the "West" starts and the "East" stops? :s
    Michael

Nope.

Politics, Sport and Geography. All with different borders.

What do I care?

So long as we beat the Germans!
  • Options
    With neocons in the Whitehouse and media applying constant pressure, I can't see Turkey not becoming an EU member sometime soon, Israel to follow. Turkey's strategic importance to their Global agenda simply outweighs the economic and cultural worries that Europeans have.
    Personally I've got mixed feelings, I like the Turks, like Islam, but don't like having any kind of integration forced on us against our will.
  • Options
    Originally posted by nckdn
    I...don't like having any kind of integration forced on us against our will.

The scary thing is that you don't seem to acknowledge your racism.

I respect those who are honest about it far more.

Turkey, for the record, is not as Islamic state. As any fule kno.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The scary thing is that you don't seem to acknowledge your racism.

I respect those who are honest about it far more.

Turkey, for the record, is not as Islamic state. As any fule kno.

No mention of race, Turks are the same race as me anyway. Even say I like 'em.
    Don't like having integration forced on us against our will - Was that your problem? My reasons are clearly not an antipathy to Turks, it's the 'force' and 'against our will' I'm complaining about. Don't let yourself develop Blagsta's pathological anti-racism, stick to a calm, logical anti-racism like mine.
  • Options
    "Integration"?
    "Against our will"?

:banghead:
  • Options
    Israel will not join the EU. Israel would simply have to give too many concessions to join; concessions that would no doubt threaten it’s security and status. For example the Law of Return poses a barrier to Israeli membership of the EU. EU membership could also threaten Israel’s close relationship with the USA on trade and defence. And then there would be inevitable EU demands that if Israel accepted would compromise Israel’s security.

There are reasons why Israel should join, most of Israel’s trade is with EU members for example and it would be difficult for Israel to become closer to it’s closer neighbours. There are too many barriers to EU membership. I can’t see it happening in the foreseeable future. I think there are already some free trade agreements and I think there’s preferential status, it would make more sense to develop those. NATO membership seems more realistic.
  • Options
    The rules are bent, ignored and changed all the time Disillusioned, they'll have to be for Turkey to be admitted.
    There's no reason to think either that the EU won't one day grow beyond Europe's borders or change it's name. But in whose interests? That's the question.
  • Options
    Turkey, for the record, is already a member of the other major European institution, the ECHR.
  • Options
    The rules are bent, ignored and changed all the time Disillusioned, they'll have to be for Turkey to be admitted.

What rules would these be? Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
  • Options
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    What rules would these be? Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

For any insane reference you provide which prove the EU and other political institutions aren't corrupt, dishonest or 'flexible', I could provide hundreds which show they are. Be sensible.
  • Options

so whaty would have to be changed to allow turkey entry
  • Options
    For any insane reference you provide which prove the EU and other political institutions aren't corrupt, dishonest or 'flexible', I could provide hundreds which show they are. Be sensible.

I didn't ask for references to corruption within the EU. I asked you what rules would have to be changed to allow Turkey to join.

Answer the question.
  • Options
    "Integration"?
    "Against our will"?

:banghead:

Integration is a word often used when discussing the EU. Usually in reference to the new member states, or the implementation of laws in the respective countries.
  • Options
    That isn't the sort of integration that nckdn was referring to, and you know it.

So, nckdn, what rules are being broken? Turkey is a member of the ECHR, therefore any arguments about their "European"-ness is flawed and irrelevant.

And I notice you ignored this point further up too.
  • Options

The Treaty on European Union makes respect for fundamental rights and freedoms a condition for membership. They'll have to ignore the abuses that simply WILL continue in Turkey.
  • Options
    hmm and we dont abuse prisoners that are irish and suspected IRA members
  • Options
    They'll have to ignore the abuses that simply WILL continue in Turkey.

And, for the third time, I will point out that Turkey is a signatory to the ECHR.

Using your definition then the UK shouldn't be in Europe because of its human rights abuses either. And that, quite clearly, is rubbish.
  • Options
    And, for the third time, I will point out that Turkey is a signatory to the ECHR.

Using your definition then the UK shouldn't be in Europe because of its human rights abuses either. And that, quite clearly, is rubbish.

Read people's posts more carefully. I haven't defined who should be in the EU, I don't care whether Turkey joins the EU, and I'm not overly concerned that the EU might turn a blind eye to Human Rights abuses when admitting member states, Turkey the UK or any other. Not to say I'm not concerned about Human Rights, just that the EU doesn't have much moral authority for me.
  • Options
    I haven't defined who should be in the EU, I don't care whether Turkey joins the EU,

You have REPEATEDLY claimed that Turkey should not be allowed to join the EU under the current membership rules. You HAVE defined who should be in the EU i.e as far as your concerned not Turkey, and you evidently DO care otherwise you wouldn't be posting in this thread.

Are you capable of raising a coherent point without going off on a tangent?