Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Antibiotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am on a course of Penicillin VK over new years :(
Anyway, everyone always says you can't drink on antibiotics, so i'm not planning on.
But surely it would say that on the packet instructions? Surely they wouldnt leave you without a warning? After all, not necessarily everyone has heard of the dangers of mixing alcohol with antibiotics.
I've heard that it is possible to drink on some antibiotics, so could this be why there isn't a warning on this packet?

Comments

• Options
    Is there an inside leaflet? If not take them to the chemist & ask them. Sometimes they don't give you one.
  • Options
    yes, there was an inside leaflet. i checked it for DO NOT DRINK WHILST TAKING THESE and there seemed to be no warnings whatsoever. I'll go look again tho just to be sure.
  • Options
    Well, I had a look on netdoctor specific for the medication you are on, and it didn't say anything about not drinking. I'm on anti-depressants, and in all the instructions for my type of pill I'm taking, it says in bold not to drink.

They used to advice people not to drink with certain antibiotics if they were being treated for e.g. syphilis because they were concerned that patients may get drunk and in situations where they may not have protected sex. I think that's where it stems from.

There are certain antibiotics that you can't drink with, I'm not certain which ones these are, but there's a Q&A on the subject.

I'd say to be safe, if in doubt, don't drink.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks go_away. That's good info. i would have thought that somewhere it would have said! so just gotta be careful with it :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    Thanks go_away. That's good info. i would have thought that somewhere it would have said! so just gotta be careful with it :)

Well i would still ask your pharmacy they should be able to tell you.
  • Options
    Ta, will also pop in in the morning. trouble is, they've got such long queues with so few being open, that i hate to trouble them with that when i could just not drink anyway.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Well you can always ring - da-da! - NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 and get them to check it for you without having to step out of the house.

Ah...it doesn't matter how many times you say it GWST...it just makes you emmit wiseness!

Malt xxx :D
  • Options
  • Options
    there are some scietific reasons

As we need our liver to work in perfectely for antibiotics
    metabolisim , in addition , alcohle metabolisim needs liver too,
    therefor , consumption of both in any kinds will make dangerous
    interference . So take away from one while you are on the other. :)
  • Options
    Hi queenmab_roo,

I hope that you were able to speak to your pharmacist regarding your antibiotics and that you are feeling better!

For those of you left wondering...

It is safe to drink alcohol in moderation when taking most antibiotics including the one queenmab_roo had been prescribed, Penicillin VK.

The only type of antibiotic you should avoid any alcohol with is Metronidazole as this will make you very very poorly indeed! If you are ever prescribed Metronidazole please remember not to touch a drop! And to leave a good few days after treatment before you drink .

Rich
    Pharmacy Student :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by ditcht
    The only type of antibiotic you should avoid any alcohol with is Metronidazole as this will make you very very poorly indeed! If you are ever prescribed Metronidazole please remember not to touch a drop! And to leave a good few days after treatment before you drink .

aye, when i was given that for my wisdom tooth abcess nightmare they did make it REALLY clear. the dentist told me, the chemist told me, it says in huge letters on the patient info thing...

if there's no warning on the patient info leaflet, i'd assume it's safe to drink, but only have a few...
  • Options
    Yep, i was careful! i remained sober over new years, drinking just a taste of champagne, and carefully drank the other night i went out. all in all, no problems!

I spoke to a pharmaceutical friend online, and we found online listings for the drug, so knew it was safe if i was careful.
  • Options
    I think it's less a case of "Drink and Antibiotics will harm you!" and more a case of "Drink will lessen the effect of the antibiotics, therefore ruining your treatment".
  • Options
    Originally posted by ditcht

Dont they give that to alcoholics sometimes to stop them drinking?