Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the monarchy - what to do

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    So is slavery.

Slavery was universal at one time. However, England outlawed the practise long before that self-proclaimed baston of Democracy and Republicism, the USA.
    For who? Not me or anyone I know.

That is because you have be extremely lucky enough not to have lived in times of great crisis. During WW2, when the Chamberlian government fell and great doubt ran amok throughout the land, the King and Queen were seen as islands of stablity for the population of not only the UK, but the peoples of the Empire and Commonwealth to rally around. In a Constitutional Monarcy, the Royals are basically non-political, thereby above partisan politics. Hence, even the most arden trade unionist and reactionary Conservative can find common ground during times of crisis.
    Succesion of what?

In Englands case, both the head of state and the head of the church. No politicing involved. Personally I wouldn't want the job, but someone has got to do it. Better someone who has been raised since birth for the positions then some dumbass off the streets or worse yet, some dumbass spoiled rich brat with delusions of grandour....AKA....GWB.
    Now theres an idea...

Let me guess......mid teens to early twenties correct?
    Stable? Really? How about some history...

Come on, I know that Englands statec school standards have dropped, but they still must be teaching history in them.
    Really? Evidence?

Ancient Greece, Rome, the French Republics......

Even Englands dalliance with Republicism ended up with the Cromwell Dictatorship, afterwhich the Monarcy was invited back in. Most modern day republics has quickly turned into dictatorships. Even the US is slowly heading down that road.
    Yes, a Canadian's opinion

If you check the "How did you get your handle" thread, you will see that I hold dual Canadian and British citizenship....having been born in the UK. Indeed, I hold a UK passport instead of a Canadian passport.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Ok then, it ties kids fairytale stories into something real and this may cause them to lead a kind of fairytale life themselves.
    Tell me why honesty, passion, valour and all those fairytale qualities are not achievable in "reality"
    It's like living a mini legend of your own, my thought is to blend the edges so you can cross into that magical world of innocence and pure thought more easily.
    You begin to recognise your life is a story with a beginning a middle and an end and this allows your mind to try and set some kind of journey through, to prophesise your story... Experience of this way of thinking comes from stories and when there are anchor points in reality to focus your mind on the physical requirements needed to achieve this kind of journey it all becomes so much easier.
    God, it's difficult to try and explain. It's no exacting science yet draws so much from psychology, philosophy and other such sciences.
    yes J ...as individuals i think a fair number of us aspire to higher and better things ...even achieveing these things to greater or lesser degree but ...where the story of the royal family come into my personal story and achievement of higher things i know not. yes i do ...they don't.
  • Options
    Slavery was universal at one time. However, England outlawed the practise long before that self-proclaimed baston of Democracy and Republicism, the USA.

You seem to have missed the point.
    That is because you have be extremely lucky enough not to have lived in times of great crisis. During WW2, when the Chamberlian government fell and great doubt ran amok throughout the land, the King and Queen were seen as islands of stablity for the population of not only the UK, but the peoples of the Empire and Commonwealth to rally around. In a Constitutional Monarcy, the Royals are basically non-political, thereby above partisan politics. Hence, even the most arden trade unionist and reactionary Conservative can find common ground during times of crisis.

What a load of innacurrate toss.
    In Englands case, both the head of state and the head of the church. No politicing involved. Personally I wouldn't want the job, but someone has got to do it. Better someone who has been raised since birth for the positions then some dumbass off the streets or worse yet, some dumbass spoiled rich brat with delusions of grandour....AKA....GWB.

Leaving aside the issues I have with both the church and the state, I'd rather have an accountable head of state (seperate from the church) than an inbred German.

Let me guess......mid teens to early twenties correct?

Way off the mark pal.
    Come on, I know that Englands statec school standards have dropped, but they still must be teaching history in them.

Maybe you should learn some history then.
    Ancient Greece, Rome, the French Republics......

Even Englands dalliance with Republicism ended up with the Cromwell Dictatorship, afterwhich the Monarcy was invited back in. Most modern day republics has quickly turned into dictatorships. Even the US is slowly heading down that road.

Nonsense.
  • Options
    Good God. I agree with Blagsta again!! Must be a sign. :eek2:
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Ok then, it ties kids fairytale stories into something real and this may cause them to lead a kind of fairytale life themselves.
    Tell me why honesty, passion, valour and all those fairytale qualities are not achievable in "reality"
    It's like living a mini legend of your own, my thought is to blend the edges so you can cross into that magical world of innocence and pure thought more easily.
    You begin to recognise your life is a story with a beginning a middle and an end and this allows your mind to try and set some kind of journey through, to prophesise your story... Experience of this way of thinking comes from stories and when there are anchor points in reality to focus your mind on the physical requirements needed to achieve this kind of journey it all becomes so much easier.
    God, it's difficult to try and explain. It's no exacting science yet draws so much from psychology, philosophy and other such sciences.

i get that sorta...you familiarise yourself with a model of fantasy in order to create your fairytale reality...i do that sometimes...great joy in your heart but the angst and fear always kick you in the teeth eventually...bit like a vicious circle...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Nonsense.

the cromwell part is true...
  • Options
    Yes, but it doesn't get us very far. Spain has a royal family, they also had 50 odd years of fascist dictatorship.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Totally agree.