Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the monarchy - what to do

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    Only the once. You have to say ma'am to rhyme with jam you know. :yes:

I can't think of any reason to dislike the woman. She is genuine enough.
    bloody hell mate you must be posh!
    fancy a jarm sandwich ...
  • Options
    bloody hell mate you must be posh!
    fancy a jarm sandwich ...
    I'm well posh mate, innit.

Actually I sang in a choir and she came to visit and she said hello to a couple of us afterwards.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    a positive role model in society .
    your 'avin' a fucking larf aint ya!

charles and his dim brothers and their dad ...positive fucking role models!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    i liked the queen mother, she was the only one who was down with the people
  • Options
    plus she was a mad loveable bat
  • Options
    The queen mother was a gangsta doll.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Lol.

You DO have the right to face your accuser. The magistrate will tell you so. He will also tell you that the queen is the accuser. He will also that you can't interview the queen.

Providing you ask. Now..if you state a position the magistrate will tell you are wrong. If you ask him questions he'll happy answer and contradict himself and then the whole thing falls down. Most people sit there assuming they will get a fair trial but as the magistrate is paid for by the same people who bring the case it isn't too likely is it?

Have you ever actually been in court?
  • Options
    The Prince of Wales, to name one person and one example in our troubled but still dignified and uniquely aristocratic Monarchy, has done more for young people and children in need then any one else since Thomas Barnardo. He has my unconditional respect and admiration. It genuinely disheartens me to read the misguided, unwarranted and overly excessive loathing of our royal family a shockingly large number of people are beginning to embrace.

I think he should be put against a wall and shot.
  • Options
    some of you people are buying into a carry on film.
  • Options
    and im the director

that means your all stuffed
  • Options
    i think they should keep the royal family, solely based on their entertainment value, it's good to know that even the high class are a bunch of barmy nutters and that they're no better than us...
  • Options
    i mean we wouldnt have the comic genious of this thread if it wasnt for them
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3701086.stm

what would you do with it

IMHO i think its the least bad option we have, we couldnt have a president here, itd be a goal for all fuckin celebs, and well the elections etc would be an utter joke to democracy, and also the queen has virtually zero power anyway, other than deciding prime minister on a hung parliament, which isnt too much since its a hung parliament anyway

a president would do more harm than good

My vote is to keep it intact......we may not like the people, but as in institution it has its merits.
  • Options
    Which are?
  • Options
    just like tim henman

us brits love a bunch of losers
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Which are?

Its part of the national heritage and in many way, psychie. Its a rallying point during times of crisis. It gives a stable line of succession, even if the entire House of Commons and Lord is wiped off the face of the map.

Granted the current crop of royals leaves much to be desired, but as an institution, it is a time tested and stable one.

And here is something for you Republicans to consider.....the vast majority of Republics end up as totalerian dictorships...something to think about before you start the revolutions.

But this is just one mans opinion right?
  • Options
    Its part of the national heritage and in many way, psychie. Its a rallying point during times of crisis. It gives a stable line of succession, even if the entire House of Commons and Lord is wiped off the face of the map.

Granted the current crop of royals leaves much to be desired, but as an institution, it is a time tested and stable one.

And here is something for you Republicans to consider.....the vast majority of Republics end up as totalerian dictorships...something to think about before you start the revolutions.

its called having another election
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    its called having another election

So far to date, the only really stable and effective democracies have been Constitutional Monarcies employing the Parlimentary system. You know, the system that both the UK and Canada employs?

So why mess about with something that actually works?
  • Options
    what about america?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    what about america?
    yeah the yanks would buy 'em. pay billions ...
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    what about america?

You mean the nation where only the rich can actually run for office, where special interest groups such as corporations and radical right Christians hold power? The nation that pays only lip service to the origianl idea that it was suppose to be a nation dedicated to and built on the concepts that the rights and freedoms of all men are sancrosant. A nation where the people are gladly giving away their inherited rights and freedoms in the name of some vague government promise of security?

The US is following the same path that Rome trod two thousand years ago. I would not be surprised to see a man elected to be president for life there soon.
  • Options
    You mean the nation where only the rich can actually run for office, where special interest groups such as corporations and radical right Christians hold power? The nation that pays only lip service to the origianl idea that it was suppose to be a nation dedicated to and built on the concepts that the rights and freedoms of all men are sancrosant. A nation where the people are gladly giving away their inherited rights and freedoms in the name of some vague government promise of security?

The US is following the same path that Rome trod two thousand years ago. I would not be surprised to see a man elected to be president for life there soon.

yeh you do realise that all men and women are equally as useless as defending themselves when first born

its the same over here, i want to stand for MP, but i dont have the money, or the time or the friends and connections
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    yeh you do realise that all men and women are equally as useless as defending themselves when first born

its the same over here, i want to stand for MP, but i dont have the money, or the time or the friends and connections

You have a much better chance of starting a grass roots action or campaign in either Canada or the UK then you do in the US. Plus you have a much higher chance of success in the UK or Canada.

True, it cost money to run for political office......but in both Canada and the UK, that cost would only be a few thousand C$'s or Pounds Sterling. In the US, you have better have access to Millions US$ if you want to run for anything higher then mayor.
  • Options
    You have a much better chance of starting a grass roots action or campaign in either Canada or the UK then you do in the US. Plus you have a much higher chance of success in the UK or Canada.

True, it cost money to run for political office......but in both Canada and the UK, that cost would only be a few thousand C$'s or Pounds Sterling. In the US, you have better have access to Millions US$ if you want to run for anything higher then mayor.

yes but in the ukthere is only 60million people

not anywhere near the almost 300million you have in america
    you dont justrun for senate or house, you build up your career, which you do from a grassroots base
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    not anywhere near the almost 300million you have in america
    psssst ...he's in canada ...
  • Options
    that you would find in america, bad grammar
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    that you would find in america, bad grammar
    even worse geography!
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I think it sums up English life to have a King or queen, has it's roots in our history and just the queen being there keeps fresh in the mind the idea of a heroic king and the knights etc...
    but the reality ...lets never forget reality aye?
  • Options
    Its part of the national heritage and in many way, psychie.

So is slavery.
    Its a rallying point during times of crisis.

For who? Not me or anyone I know.
    It gives a stable line of succession,

Succesion of what?
    even if the entire House of Commons and Lord is wiped off the face of the map.

Now theres an idea...

Stable? Really? How about some history...

Really? Evidence?

Yes, a Canadian's opinion.
  • Options
    So far to date, the only really stable and effective democracies have been Constitutional Monarcies employing the Parlimentary system. You know, the system that both the UK and Canada employs?

So why mess about with something that actually works?

Works in what way?